P Simms takedown conversion Marlin 336. Any Help?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

P Simms takedown conversion Marlin 336. Any Help?

Post by jengel »

I had the above mentioned rifle come into the shop today to put a scope on. It looked odd and I noticed that it was a takedown gun. Push a button on the mag tube, slide it forward and then unscrew the barrel from the receiver. There is a "P Simms 85" and "30-30" stamped on the underside of the takedown area. Anyone ever heard of Simms conversion guns? I have pics that I will try to post when I have time. It is very busy here. Thanks all.
Last edited by jengel on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: P Simms takedown conversion Marlin 336

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Can't wait to see it. Sounds very interesting.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Can't wait to see it. Sounds very interesting.
+1
Old Law Dawg
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Finally had time to post some pics.

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: P Simms takedown conversion Marlin 336. Any Help?

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Ah, I see how it works now. You description was spot-on but I couldn't figure out what the "button" was holding on to. Now I see that it's the front barrel band. Neat.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have an old NRA gunsmithing book with an article that describes that very conversion and it didn't have to be done by a smith. Might be the owners name. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Fordwannabe, what was the name of the NRA book with this info? It sounds like something I might persue.
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

BenT wrote:Fordwannabe, what was the name of the NRA book with this info? It sounds like something I might persue.

Not Fordwannabe, but I believe the book he is referencing is NRA Gunsmithing Guide - Updated, with a copyright date of 1982. The article is a reprint of an American Rifleman article by Pete Dickey titled, A Takedown Carbine. There is no reference to when this article was originally printed. There are pictures, and dimensioned drawings in the article. The article states "...Post 64 Winchester 94 carbine (other makes or models can be used but would require modifications to the drawings)..." The article also references the work on the conversion being done by gunsmith Roland Jorgensen of Accokeek Sporting Goods, Waldorf Maryland, and that an experienced tinkerer should take about 5 hours to do the conversion.

From what I see in the article photographs in the copy I have the conversion mentioned appears to be similar to the takedown 94 originally shown by Gizamo, possible lending credence to the name, Simms, being either the owner or the gunsmith who did the conversion.

* There is a reference on the book jacket to "...For revisions, the editors carefully researched every "Rifleman" since 1966 and selected articles of current interest to replace those no longer pertinent..." So it would appear that the original article was done between 1966 and 1982.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Thanks guys.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

jengel, can you tell me how the fore stock attaches to the take down plate?
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I like the button release on the mag tube better than the CoPilot. Very impressive looking rifle.
It is not the critic who counts
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

salvo wrote:jengel, can you tell me how the fore stock attaches to the take down plate?
No, I cannot. I can see if he can bring it back in to look at it.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I posted my copy of the NRA article, w/pics, about making a takedown lever here, this last August - but the article featured a Win 94, although the conversion looks identical to your "Simms":

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ns#p239382

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Pete44ru, I have the NRA Gunsmithing book with the same article, I think the way they attach the fore stock in that article is pretty flimsy, I was hoping jengel's conversion attached it differently.
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Sorry didn't look at this thread in a while that is indeed the book and the article. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Well I ordered a used NRA Gunsmithing book through Amazon for $13 plus shipping. You guys are nothing but trouble.