Lever Action 22's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GabbyHaze

Lever Action 22's

Post by GabbyHaze »

Howdy gang,
I'm new to this board, but not new to shooting. I have a question I would like to ask. What is the best 22 lever action on the market today ( Browning, Marlin ect ) and why do you feel it's the best?
After going prairie dog hunting with my brother-in-law and having both my Ruger 1022 and my Remington 597 jam on me over and over again I got fed up and I'm now looking into buying a lever action 22.
My friend Bobbie ( he passed away a couple years ago ) had a Marlin lever action 22 and it seemed like a good gun, but I'd like to hear from others who have the same gun and see how they like it.
Nice to meet you all.

JT
Sheridan, WY
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lever Action 22's

Post by RIHMFIRE »

buy yourself a winchester 9422 if you can find an affordable one.....
it will never go down in value!
BTW welcome to the forum
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Many here are partial to the Marlin Model 39a, it has been in production in one form or another for over 100 years and still going strong. The ones made before 1988 are more desireable to many enthusiasts due to the lack of rebounding hammer and safety. Look around for a while and you should be able to come up with a really nice one in the range of about $350.00 or so, depending on local demand and supply.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I've got a Henry, and a 9422. 9422 I can't say enough good about. The Henry's been a disappointment from several different standpoints. Pass on the Henry, buy a 39 Marlin, or a 9422, or a Browning. Personally I think the Browning is the best of the lot in current production.

Ed
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Welcome to the forum, sit a spell.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'll jump right in and give a 'different' opinion just to mix things up a little. If you want a 'classic' levergun .22, then there's no question it should be one of the two-piece-stock, flat-sided, tubular-magazine guns.

Each brand has their advocates. Among the Marlin/Winchester/Browning/Henry crowd, I've shot all but the Browning, and the Henry wins for me as far as slickness of action, and the one I shot a few years back seemed to be reliable. I just got a used one for my son for $100, and it feeds and shoots very well so far, five shots in a dime at 25 yards. For the others, I think the Winchesters look the nicest, but they're all good guns.

For myself, I didn't care if it was a 'classic' - I just wanted a rugged, short-throw little levergun, easy to put a scope on, or peep sights, and I really like the idea of detachable magazines for two reasons - first, they're easier to unload quickly if you need to cross a road or come in the house, without all those loose shells to get snow on or drop or gather pocket lint. Secondly, they are VERY reliable in some cases - like Ruger's rotary ones.

So - even though they're slammed as 'ugly' by most traditionalists, I like my little Ruger 96/22. I just think of it as a 'modern Savage 99 in rimfire' :lol:

Here is the almost-identical looking 99/22M next to a heavy-barreled Ruger 77/22

I usually keep this funny-looking red-dot scope on it, because it is the BEST beginner's gun I've had to date, and nearly every novice who comes out to shoot is hitting 3" flip-up gongs at 50 yards within a few minutes of their first shot. When my daughter was 8 years old, she could hit them too...!

As you can tell, I like the Ruger leverguns - .22 LR, .22 Mag, and .44 Mag - the latter is one of my favorite deer rifles. I put the little 'flash hider' on the .22 LR since so many kids shoot it and they have a way of dipping the muzzle in the dirt...

Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys,
My gunsmith tells me to spend the extra money for the Marlin over the Henry. He said the Henry isn't as strong or as good as the Marlin??
What I'm looking for is a Brand New Lever action 22 that is a strong reliable gun.
The Browning is a bit pricey, but looks to be a good gun. The question is, is it as good as the Marlin or better and why?
Also, which is the most accurate lever action right out of the box?
I know Paco has tested many guns, I've red some of his articles. In fact it was because of Paco's good review on the Kimber 1911-A22LR that I purchased one. I'm hoping he'll chime in on this topic and give his opinion on "New" Lever action 22 LR's ).
Thanks again guys. God bless.

JT
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

AJMD429 wrote:I'll jump right in and give a 'different' opinion just to mix things up a little. If you want a 'classic' levergun .22, then there's no question it should be one of the two-piece-stock, flat-sided, tubular-magazine guns.

Each brand has their advocates. Among the Marlin/Winchester/Browning/Henry crowd, I've shot all but the Browning, and the Henry wins for me as far as slickness of action, and the one I shot a few years back seemed to be reliable. I just got a used one for my son for $100, and it feeds and shoots very well so far, five shots in a dime at 25 yards. For the others, I think the Winchesters look the nicest, but they're all good guns.

For myself, I didn't care if it was a 'classic' - I just wanted a rugged, short-throw little levergun, easy to put a scope on, or peep sights, and I really like the idea of detachable magazines for two reasons - first, they're easier to unload quickly if you need to cross a road or come in the house, without all those loose shells to get snow on or drop or gather pocket lint. Secondly, they are VERY reliable in some cases - like Ruger's rotary ones.

So - even though they're slammed as 'ugly' by most traditionalists, I like my little Ruger 96/22. I just think of it as a 'modern Savage 99 in rimfire' :lol:

Here is the almost-identical looking 99/22M next to a heavy-barreled Ruger 77/22

I usually keep this funny-looking red-dot scope on it, because it is the BEST beginner's gun I've had to date, and nearly every novice who comes out to shoot is hitting 3" flip-up gongs at 50 yards within a few minutes of their first shot. When my daughter was 8 years old, she could hit them too...!

As you can tell, I like the Ruger leverguns - .22 LR, .22 Mag, and .44 Mag - the latter is one of my favorite deer rifles. I put the little 'flash hider' on the .22 LR since so many kids shoot it and they have a way of dipping the muzzle in the dirt...

I went to Ruger's web site this morning and couldn't find any Lever Action 22's so I assumed they quit making them?? I want a brand new lever action 22, not a used one.
Thanks for the pics, I enjoyed them.

JT
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Well, I think you'd be selling yourself way short just wanting to buy "new".

I've got both a 9422 and a 1957 39a. Bought them both used and they are two of the most reliable and well built 22 leverguns ever. I also have a Henry H001.

If you can find a used Win94 or 39a, you'll be way ahead.

I've got nothing against Henry as I have one, but nothing beats a 9422 or 39a.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

meanc wrote:Well, I think you'd be selling yourself way short just wanting to buy "new".

I've got both a 9422 and a 1957 39a. Bought them both used and they are two of the most reliable and well built 22 leverguns ever. I also have a Henry H001.

If you can find a used Win94 or 39a, you'll be way ahead.

I've got nothing against Henry as I have one, but nothing beats a 9422 or 39a.

I respect your opinion, but I want a new gun. I've never owned a brand new 22 rifle, I've always baught used. So I want to experience that brand new gun smell. :lol:

JT
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome to the forum. I've got a 9422 Legacy and I love it. I'm partial to Winchesters. I'd like to have a Marlin 1897, generally kinda spendy and other projects are up first.
Old Law Dawg
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like the Henry for the overall value and smooth function. My boys couldn't work the lever on the BL-22 but with a 35 degree lever throw but they can work the 85 degree throw of the Henry. The H001Y I just bought groups CCI CB Shorts into a dime at 15 yards with open sights. The customer service, should you need it, it top notch. The newer Marlin's have wood that is too fat for my taste and I dislike the safety and the checkering of the new 39A's.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

One of the things I like about the Marlin is you can take it down. Just unloosen the thumb screw and it breaks down into 2 pcs. Much easier to take with you on the motorcycle or for camping. 8)

JT
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

If you're really interested in a new 96/22, I know a dealer that has one on his rack, at least it was there a week ago, now only he knows. Send me a PM and I'll get you a number to call.

Personally, the 96/22s don't really light any fires esthetically for me. Don't know enough about them to have a real opinion on them other than that. If I want sleek/modern looking, I've got my Remington Nylon 76.

The Brownings I like, but I've never owned one, shot lots of friend's rifles though. If you don't mind the short lever stroke(I don't much, see above 76 again), they are fine rifles.

I also own a 39M marlin, it isn't for sale.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

Here's a picture of my Ruger GP101 32 Mag and my Kimber 1911-A 22 LR.
I didn't have holsters for these guns so I made my own out of scrap leather. The holsters cost me about $2.00 ea. to make ( I buy scrap leather for $3.00 a pound ). I sew them by hand with a stitching Awl. I also made the ammo clip holder. They aren't professional, but they work and they were cheap to make.

Here's a pic of my stitching horse and my sewing awl.

JT
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

Buffboy wrote:If you're really interested in a new 96/22, I know a dealer that has one on his rack, at least it was there a week ago, now only he knows. Send me a PM and I'll get you a number to call.

Personally, the 96/22s don't really light any fires esthetically for me. Don't know enough about them to have a real opinion on them other than that. If I want sleek/modern looking, I've got my Remington Nylon 76.

The Brownings I like, but I've never owned one, shot lots of friend's rifles though. If you don't mind the short lever stroke(I don't much, see above 76 again), they are fine rifles.

I also own a 39M marlin, it isn't for sale.
Thanks Bufboy,
I appreciate it, but I want to do some research first before I buy. Right now I have it down to the Browning or the Marlin, unless I find another one I like ??
The short stroke of the brownings lever action sounds appealing to me, it seems you should be able to get off a second shot faster with a shorter stroke??? I mostly use my 22's for rabbit and prairie dog hunting and you need a quick second shot sometimes.

JT
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

if money is no object, there is a shop nearby that has 6/7 anib 9422s.
who ever consigned them is really proud of them judging by asking price.
some up to a grand and more. all different styles and barrel lengths too.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

This is one of the 22's I've been looking at.

It's the Browning BL-22 FLD, Grade 2 Octagon Barrel. ( I'm still trying to figure out the difference between the grade 1 and grade 2 ???

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... ype_id=105

JT
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcme to the Forum. I'd offer advise, but the last .22 I owned was over 30 years ago... and it was a Ruger! :oops:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

GabbyHaze wrote:This is one of the 22's I've been looking at.

It's the Browning BL-22 FLD, Grade 2 Octagon Barrel. ( I'm still trying to figure out the difference between the grade 1 and grade 2 ???

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... ype_id=105

JT

man, i hope you can find them for less than 869$.

oh, i just remembered taurus is making a lever 22, looks alot like that browning.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... gory=Rifle

looks like they stopped making it, maybe?

"BECAUSE I CAN"
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I bought a new Marlin 39 in 2005 and have had jamming troubles with most types of ammo. I've changed extractors and ejectors and such. It works fine with a fairly expensive type of ammo, but I'm a little bummed that is doesn't eat up everything I feed it.

Also, when I got it, it shot way to the right. Too far for the sights to tap over and not fall off. The barrel was noticeably crooked where it met the receiver. They fixed it, but what a hassle.

On the other hand, it has a good factory trigger, and I've shot many of my best silhouette rounds with it. Although a few times I've had to raise my hand and ask for an "alibi" because it jammed in the middle of a string.

For hunting, it will get a little heavy compared to a 20" rifle. If I was starting over I'd get the cheapest Henry.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Welcome aboard, Gabby!

Grade 1 BL22s do not have engraved receivers or checkering on the stocks. otherwise they function the same as the Grade II BL22s.

If you have decided on a short-stroke 22 levergun, then that discards the Marlin 39A. The leverstroke on the 39A is in the neighborhood of 80-90 degrees or so.

If you are considering only NEW short stroke 22 leverguns, you can chose from the following:

Browning BL22

For new or used short stroke 22 leverguns, you can chose from the following:

Browning BL22
Ruger 96/22
Marlin 56 Levermatic (clip magazine fed)
Marlin 57 Levermatic (tube magazine fed)

I own or have owned every make on that list, and I also own a few Marlin 39s. I very much like the Marlin 39s; they have been accurate and reliable for me, yet they do have a lever throw that's more than 2X as long as that of the four guns listed above.

I've owned two Browning BL22s, one a Grade II which I had for four or five years and traded for something else about 20 yrs ago. I traded it because the light-coverage scroll engraved receiver and the high-gloss poly finish on the stock was just too much "bling" to my liking. What I DID like was the fast action and excellent accuracy. I could hit anything I aimed at out ot 100 yds if I took the time to adjust the rear sight elevator for the proper range. But I picked up a used Grade I a year ago last April for $300, just a plain blued receiver and low-gloss uncheckered wood, and it's every bit the fast-handling, accurate levergun my departed Grade II was.

As for the Ruger 96/22, I currently have two in 22LR. I bought the first one used last August with a Burris 1.5-5 on top for $275 at a small firehall show, and I fell in love with the fast-handling short stroke and excellent accuracy, and the detachable magazines. The 96/22 looks funky with a 25 rd or 30 rd hi-cap sticking out the bottom, but it makes for some fun times at the range. Using the scope, I can hit claybirds standing on edge on the 50 yd berm 10/10 offhand, time and again. I liked the 96/22 so much that when I had the opportunity to buy a second used one at $300 in May, I jumped at it. I like the Burris scope on the one 96/22, but I prefer my leverguns unscoped and bought the unscoped 96/22 for the convenience of it. The second 96/22 is just as accurate as the first. Both group 0.75" or less off the bench on paper at 25 yds. If I do my part, both are capable of one ragged hole. But so is the Browning. That said, why consider the Ruger over the Browning? The ability to use readily-detachable magazines, and optionally hi-caps intended for the 10-22. The negative about the Ruger? The characteristic meaty, clubby Ruger hardwood stock and stupid carbine band. Ruger could have slimmed that stock down like the forend on a Savage 99 and in my opinion the 96/22 would have sold gangbusters. But for accuracy, functionality, and versatility the Ruger 96/22 is tough to beat.

W.r.t. the Marlin 56 and 57, both are long out of production and tough to find. But they are fun to shoot short-throw leverguns, and accurate to boot. Aesthetically, they are kinda "funky-bulky-futuristic" looking, but if you can get beyound that they are great shooters. I've had a 57 in 22LR and just bought a 57M in 22 Magnum in June. Both are accurate, but the 57M 22 Magnum is scary-accurate. Downside of the 56/57 Marlins? Out of production and unsupported by Marlin, and the action/fire control group is a complicated assembly of stampings and pins that can be daunting to disassemble the first time.

Gabby, if you are bound to buy a new short throw 22 lever, then look no farther than the Browning BL22. It is the only thing available that meets that criteria. If you don't mind used, then consider the Ruger 96/22. Some are still available on dealer shelves in as-new or new condition, and they are every bit as accurate and reliable as I said above, and can accept hi-caps for 10/22s. I especially prefer the 25-rd Tactical Innovations magazine because it can be adjusted to fit the magwell of the 96/22 for perfect, flawless feeding. Goofy looking for sure, but versatile and fun during range sessions.

If you didn't want a short-throw, then I'd recommend the Marlin 39A and the Winchester 9422. Either would be an excellent pick, IMO, but the new Marlins have bulky checkered furniture and that's not my preference. I like slim and uncheckered furniture in my 22 leverguns.

Hope this helps, but it is after all just my opinion,

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

If you're looking for a new gun, I'd get the Browning or a Marlin 39.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... den39A.asp

Regardless, enjoy!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Howdy Gabby, and welcome. Sit and have some coffee around the fire and you'll meet some awfully nice fellas, and get a heck of a lot of "edumacation" on leverguns as well :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I have owned the Winchester's, Marlin's and Henry's and they were all good. However, I know own the Browning and I prefer it. It is easy to the shoulder, handles well and is very accurate. I like the short stroke also.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

Noah Zark wrote:

Welcome aboard, Gabby!

Grade 1 BL22s do not have engraved receivers or checkering on the stocks. otherwise they function the same as the Grade II BL22s.

If you have decided on a short-stroke 22 levergun, then that discards the Marlin 39A. The leverstroke on the 39A is in the neighborhood of 80-90 degrees or so.

If you are considering only NEW short stroke 22 leverguns, you can chose from the following:

Browning BL22

For new or used short stroke 22 leverguns, you can chose from the following:

Browning BL22
Ruger 96/22
Marlin 56 Levermatic (clip magazine fed)
Marlin 57 Levermatic (tube magazine fed)

I own or have owned every make on that list, and I also own a few Marlin 39s. I very much like the Marlin 39s; they have been accurate and reliable for me, yet they do have a lever throw that's more than 2X as long as that of the four guns listed above.

I've owned two Browning BL22s, one a Grade II which I had for four or five years and traded for something else about 20 yrs ago. I traded it because the light-coverage scroll engraved receiver and the high-gloss poly finish on the stock was just too much "bling" to my liking. What I DID like was the fast action and excellent accuracy. I could hit anything I aimed at out ot 100 yds if I took the time to adjust the rear sight elevator for the proper range. But I picked up a used Grade I a year ago last April for $300, just a plain blued receiver and low-gloss uncheckered wood, and it's every bit the fast-handling, accurate levergun my departed Grade II was.

As for the Ruger 96/22, I currently have two in 22LR. I bought the first one used last August with a Burris 1.5-5 on top for $275 at a small firehall show, and I fell in love with the fast-handling short stroke and excellent accuracy, and the detachable magazines. The 96/22 looks funky with a 25 rd or 30 rd hi-cap sticking out the bottom, but it makes for some fun times at the range. Using the scope, I can hit claybirds standing on edge on the 50 yd berm 10/10 offhand, time and again. I liked the 96/22 so much that when I had the opportunity to buy a second used one at $300 in May, I jumped at it. I like the Burris scope on the one 96/22, but I prefer my leverguns unscoped and bought the unscoped 96/22 for the convenience of it. The second 96/22 is just as accurate as the first. Both group 0.75" or less off the bench on paper at 25 yds. If I do my part, both are capable of one ragged hole. But so is the Browning. That said, why consider the Ruger over the Browning? The ability to use readily-detachable magazines, and optionally hi-caps intended for the 10-22. The negative about the Ruger? The characteristic meaty, clubby Ruger hardwood stock and stupid carbine band. Ruger could have slimmed that stock down like the forend on a Savage 99 and in my opinion the 96/22 would have sold gangbusters. But for accuracy, functionality, and versatility the Ruger 96/22 is tough to beat.

W.r.t. the Marlin 56 and 57, both are long out of production and tough to find. But they are fun to shoot short-throw leverguns, and accurate to boot. Aesthetically, they are kinda "funky-bulky-futuristic" looking, but if you can get beyound that they are great shooters. I've had a 57 in 22LR and just bought a 57M in 22 Magnum in June. Both are accurate, but the 57M 22 Magnum is scary-accurate. Downside of the 56/57 Marlins? Out of production and unsupported by Marlin, and the action/fire control group is a complicated assembly of stampings and pins that can be daunting to disassemble the first time.

Gabby, if you are bound to buy a new short throw 22 lever, then look no farther than the Browning BL22. It is the only thing available that meets that criteria. If you don't mind used, then consider the Ruger 96/22. Some are still available on dealer shelves in as-new or new condition, and they are every bit as accurate and reliable as I said above, and can accept hi-caps for 10/22s. I especially prefer the 25-rd Tactical Innovations magazine because it can be adjusted to fit the magwell of the 96/22 for perfect, flawless feeding. Goofy looking for sure, but versatile and fun during range sessions.

If you didn't want a short-throw, then I'd recommend the Marlin 39A and the Winchester 9422. Either would be an excellent pick, IMO, but the new Marlins have bulky checkered furniture and that's not my preference. I like slim and uncheckered furniture in my 22 leverguns.

Hope this helps, but it is after all just my opinion,

Noah

Good morning Noah,
That is exactly the kind of feed back I was looking for. I'm not dead set on the short throw but it would be nice for a quick 2nd shot. ( Prairie Dogs and Rabbits can be quick LOL )
I like the tube magazine and I have speed loaders for the tube type magazine. Weight doesn't bother me, I hunt with a Bull Barrel Ruger 10/22 and a Bull Barrel Remington 597, both with laminated stocks. Thick stocks also don't bother me, I have long fingers, but I can see where thinner would be better.
I want a gun that will shoot all types of ammo with no feeding problems or jamming problems. I was on the net and founf web site for correcting the feeding problems of the Marlin 39, that concerns me ??????
I may look around for the Ruger, but this time around I want a Brand New Gun.
Thank you for all the great info.

JT
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GabbyHaze wrote: That is exactly the kind of feed back I was looking for. I'm not dead set on the short throw but it would be nice for a quick 2nd shot. ( Prairie Dogs and Rabbits can be quick LOL )
I like the tube magazine and I have speed loaders for the tube type magazine. Weight doesn't bother me, I hunt with a Bull Barrel Ruger 10/22 and a Bull Barrel Remington 597, both with laminated stocks. Thick stocks also don't bother me, I have long fingers, but I can see where thinner would be better.
I want a gun that will shoot all types of ammo with no feeding problems or jamming problems. I was on the net and founf web site for correcting the feeding problems of the Marlin 39, that concerns me ??????
JT[/b]
Maybe the best thing would be go for the Marlin 39a now, new. Full-size gun that feeds well I think except there are so many on the market that of course there will be lots that DON'T feed due to sheer numbers out there. Marlin will fix it if it doesn't feed, especially if it is a new one! I do like the take-down feature for travelling when you want to be more discrete.

On the back-burner, you can keep your eyes out for a Ruger. :wink:

Addendum - Here's a New Ruger 96/22 for $379 - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =133400588
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

AJMD429 wrote:
GabbyHaze wrote: That is exactly the kind of feed back I was looking for. I'm not dead set on the short throw but it would be nice for a quick 2nd shot. ( Prairie Dogs and Rabbits can be quick LOL )
JT[/b]
Maybe the best thing would be go for the Marlin 39a now, new. Full-size gun that feeds well I think except there are so many on the market that of course there will be lots that DON'T feed due to sheer numbers out there. Marlin will fix it if it doesn't feed, especially if it is a new one! I do like the take-down feature for travelling when you want to be more discrete.

On the back-burner, you can keep your eyes out for a Ruger. :wink:

Addendum - Here's a New Ruger 96/22 for $379 - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =133400588

Thanks AJMD429
I just looked at the Ruger again and there is just something about the looks of it that I don't like, I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't like the looks of it.
I travel a lot on motorcycle and the take down would fit in the trunk of my Goldwing, so that is something I should keep in mind.
I appreciate the advise you've given me and I have to think it over. How are the Factory springs in the Marlin and Browning?

JT
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I currently own several Marlin 39A rifles and one Winchester 9422 all bought used. I like them all. I owned a Browning BL-22 grade I at one time, I found it reliable, accurate and very handy. Traded it for a used Marlin Mountie. I have had no real functioning problems with any of them. My advice would be to shoulder both the Browning and Marlin and just see what appeals most to ya. The Marlin is a full man sized rifle, and the Browning a carbine. Both should be accurate and reliable. Quality on both are excellent. I would expect no troubles from either rifle.

I would buy another Browning if the right deal came along, but my Marlin 39A will stay with me till God calls me home!
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

GabbyHaze wrote:
Good morning Noah,
That is exactly the kind of feed back I was looking for. I'm not dead set on the short throw but it would be nice for a quick 2nd shot . . . I like the tube magazine and I have speed loaders for the tube type magazine. Weight doesn't bother me . . . I want a gun that will shoot all types of ammo with no feeding problems or jamming problems. I was on the net and found a web site for correcting the feeding problems of the Marlin 39, that concerns me ??????
Thank you for all the great info. JT

Gabby:

In that case, I'd find a large shop or shops and shoulder both the 39 and the BL22 and see what "speaks" to you.

As for feeding problems on the 39, in my experience the number of 39s with feeding problems are in the minority. Including the 39s I own or have owned, all seven of them had not problems feeding and cycling.

For riding along on the bike, you might consider looking for a used Marlin 39M "Mountie" or a 39TDS. The Mountie is no longer in production, but has a 20" barrel and of course will take down for compact stowage.

Here is an example of a Mountie that apparently sold for $525 on Guns America: http://www.gunsamerica.com/944586072/Gu ... OUNTIE.htm

Regarding the 39TDS, they are also out of production and extremely scarce and expensive (Selling between $600 and $800), but would be attractive to you because they have a 16.5" barrel and come with a nylon case for takedown stowage. Here's a photo swiped from a completed auction on GB:

Noah
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[What is the best 22 lever action on the market today and why do you feel it's the best?]

(Oh, Boy !) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Welcome to the fire, Gabby !

The correct answer to your question would be: Why, at least one of each - silly ! ;) :P :P

BTW - A Grade I BL-22 has uncheckered wood, and a plain/smooth receiver sides; while the Grade II has upgraded, checkered wood, and an engraved receiver with a matted top/rear, with a higher polish job B4 bluing.
The GR II Octagon has a silver nitrated engraved receiver, besides the longer/octagon barrel.

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

listen to these guys they know their 22s. I have quite a few myself. The Winchester 9422 and marlin 39A or the best levers IMHO.
"That'll Be The Day"
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

I think more people should have this guy's attitude, wanting only new guns. That way the prices on the good ones might come down and I can afford more 9422's, maybe some 39a's. I have no interest in a Browning .22 and I consider Henry in the same category as Taurus. It's okay, but if I can get what I want from Winchester or Marlin that's the one I will take, it will hold it's value and gain, where the Henry seems to be considered "disposable".
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

As someone who is just slightly biased towards Marlin rimfire levers :wink: I can only recommend the pre-1988 39A RIFLE. No other manufacturer is currently producing a RIFLE. They are all CARBINES. I would even suggest buying a pre-microgrooved 39A if you want something with some collector value.

Pre-WW2 39A's (1939-1941) had case colored receivers.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GabbyHaze wrote: I appreciate the advise you've given me and I have to think it over.
Your welcome - of course MY advice is worth what you paid for it... :wink:
GabbyHaze wrote: How are the Factory springs in the Marlin and Browning?
Probably just fine, but Marlin could supply you with spares, as could Brownell's or MidwayUSA. I don't know, but Wolfe and some others make 'tougher' springs for various guns, as well.

Now you're making ME want a 39a, with all this talk... :o

GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

Thanks for all the help guys,
I may take a ride to Billings, Montana to check out Cabela's and see if they have some I can shoulder.

JT
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Hey Noah Zark,

You have a Ruger 96/22 in 22LR?
I have never seen it in 22LR, only in 22 WinMag.
How long ago did they make 'em in 22LR, just curious?

UncleBuck
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

UncleBuck wrote:Hey Noah Zark,

UncleBuck
Not that long ago. You still see them on occasion. They listed the 17 HMR last year, as well. I have one in 44 Mag, but wish they made them in .357 Mag (...and .32-20, and .44-40, and 327 Federal, etc...)

Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

UncleBuck wrote:Hey Noah Zark,

UncleBuck

The 96/22 in 22LR was available from 1996-97 until about late 2007. I'm not sure when the factory actually stopped production, but NIB 96/22(LR) examples were still on dealer shelves at that time.

Wish I could find a 96/22 in 22 Magnum, I'd sell or trade the one 96/22 LR I have. My only 22 Magnum rifle is a Marlin 57M, but I have an eye on a Mossberg Chuckster.

Noah
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The 96/22Ms were made longer than the 96/22s, so you should be able to find one easier.

I just got my 96/22 trigger group back from Todd, and it is really nice now.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i like the old marlins
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

I bought a grade 1 Browning BL22 back in march , the action is so slick and smooth it's unreal , very accurate 3/4" groups at 50 yards over a bench and sunday just gone I was hitting 2" disks at 100 yards every shot and with THE WORST TRIGGER I HAVE EVER HAD ON ANY RIFLE I'VE EVER OWNED , Its gotta pull 8 pounds . Despite this I am very very happy with my Browning .

Put nearly 500 rounds through it now and the trigger is not smoothing up , definatly off to the gunsmith next pay for a trigger job . Why a manufacturer would put out such a fine firearm with such a horrible trigger is beyond me .

regards Jacko
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

Jacko wrote:I bought a grade 1 Browning BL22 back in march , the action is so slick and smooth it's unreal , very accurate 3/4" groups at 50 yards over a bench and sunday just gone I was hitting 2" disks at 100 yards every shot and with THE WORST TRIGGER I HAVE EVER HAD ON ANY RIFLE I'VE EVER OWNED , Its gotta pull 8 pounds . Despite this I am very very happy with my Browning .

Put nearly 500 rounds through it now and the trigger is not smoothing up , definatly off to the gunsmith next pay for a trigger job . Why a manufacturer would put out such a fine firearm with such a horrible trigger is beyond me .

regards Jacko
That's good to know as I shoot praire dogs out pass 100 yards with a 22. My gun smith could take care of the trigger.

JT
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

yes but then it wouldn't be new any more.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I recently got a Marlin 39A to add to my Browning and Winchester 22's, if I could only keep one it would be the Marlin hands down :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

Borregos wrote:I recently got a Marlin 39A to add to my Browning and Winchester 22's, if I could only keep one it would be the Marlin hands down :!:
Can we have some examples as to why? 8)

JT
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

GabbyHaze wrote:
Borregos wrote:I recently got a Marlin 39A to add to my Browning and Winchester 22's, if I could only keep one it would be the Marlin hands down :!:
Can we have some examples as to why? 8)

JT

This is easy. The Marlin is a full size RIFLE and the Browning is a CARBINE. The pistol grip on the Marlin is a plus also.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I think it really comes down to personal preference. I have owned three Marlin 39's and still own a 39M LTD with an octagonal barrel. But I also have a Browning Grade II BL22 and a Winchester 94/22 mag.

For me the Marlin is the least favorite, mostly because that little BL22 is so wonderful to carry and the action is so slick, and it's just as accurate, if not more accurate then the Marlin. I used to own a long barreled 39A but it was just too heavy for my tastes, although I did win a few trophys, shooting NRA 22 rifle silhouette matches with it, even against people with high dollar 22 single shot boltaction target rifles.

And the Winchester 94/22 mag, I love it, and I am almost tempted to get a 22 long rifle version, but it's hard to justify getting another 22 leveraction.
NRA Life Member, Patron
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lastmohecken wrote: And the Winchester 94/22 mag, I love it, and I am almost tempted to get a 22 long rifle version, but it's hard to justify getting another 22 leveraction.
Fella's - I really think we need to form an Intervention Team for worrisome comments like these...

'...Justify...?'

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

i'm a winchester guy, but you can't buy a new one. as new maybe.
the new marlins have those awful rebounding hammer/cross bolt safety things :twisted:
taurus is not good enough[not my opinion/never had one].
ruger not made any more.
so you are down to browning$$$
or henry[maybe golden boy?].
or not new,

i would pick not new.

"BECAUSE I CAN"