OT: What an evening...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

OT: What an evening...

Post by bigbore442001 »

drove to the bank in my Ford Ranger and deposited my meager earnings . When I got back into the truck, it would not start. Normally the truck will start up like nothing. Not a problem. This time it would not start unless I gave it some gas. I did notice all of the idiot lights when on when I tried to get it going.

The engine seemed to bog right down. If I let off the accelerator, the engine died. I was able to get it in reverse but sort of had to jamb it in a couple of times. I heard the rear end area clunk when I did so. I reversed out of the parking lot and proceeded to go forward. Stalled again. This isn't fun.

I managed to get it in gear from neutral and got on the road. Again had to sort of jamb it in gear. Got on the road and at the stop light, stalled again. Start up in neutral and then we're off.

Stalled at the next light. I did notice that it was beginning to idle but at a very low idle. I also noticed a very acrid , almost like burnt plastic smell . I took off and planned to run it down the highway and head home. When I got on the onramp I accelerated.

I was able to get up to 40 MPH and it bogged right down. I had to drive a couple of miles in the breakdown lane at 5 mph. It was as if it wasn't getting enough fuel. It really struggled to maintain forward movement.

I get off the exit ramp after two miles and it is doing a bit better. I am able to go about 20 to 25 mph. I get on the side road and head home.

My dad and I head to the CAP parts store and put in two cans of dry gas and a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner. Let it sit for fifteen minutes and then start it up. I let it idle for another fifteen. It seemed to have worked getting the engine started.

As I drove with dad following me, I noticed a vibration beneath me. It seemed that either the driveshaft or the transmission made a vibrating noise for a lack of a better term. We went down the road and all seems to be well. The engine was running well but the truck had that wierd vibration.

I got on the ramp and took it up to 65 to 70 mph. The truck really vibrated . Not as bad as riding on a rumble strip but I would guess half as bad. I drove to the gas station and filled the remaining half of the tank. I asked dad to drive it home and get his assessment.

We took off . I followed and noticed a cloud of black smoke when he gunned it as he took off the ramp. He drove the truck up to 70 mph and headed back to the house.

When I got out he commented about the vibration. He said it was either the tires or the driveshaft. I suspect that when it was jammed into gear it may have damaged either the U joints or something in the transmission.

I drove to Mary's house afterwards and didn't notice the vibration as much but I still sense there is something not quite right.

What a night.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I date it when that happens! Check the easy stuff first as in drive line, loose wheel lugs etc. Good luck! :wink:
Greg807
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Greg807 »

Gotta love those rangers... vibration could be the carrier bearing if it has one, the smoke sounds like a bad temp.sensor causing it to run rich, good luck.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

You might take a look at this Ford truck forum:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php
Have you hugged your rifle today?
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

I would check the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. IF this a fuel injection motor. My ranger did the same thing and that regulator was the cause. If it isn't fuel injected then ?????

The vibration is most likely due to the motor not running smoothly. I wouldn't think that jambing it into gear would cause that but I am not a car mechanic and do not play one on the internet. :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

A coup de gras .... .45 slug to the base of the CPU is in order. Then have the local scrap yard dispose of the remains. :twisted:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I'd have the U-joints checked and hope that's what it is. I've had a few go on me and, the faster you drive, the worse the vibration. If it's not the U-Joints, then prepare to walk around with a very thin wallet for a while.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

Catalitic Converter cloged up and burned out ?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Could it possibly have any thing to do with the name? FORD
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Found On Road Dead :lol: I have never really been fond of Ford products even though I have drove one almost on a daily basis for the last 12 years with the county. I am a Dodge and Chevy man. They all have their problems and I hope that you find out what the problem is.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

jengel wrote:Found On Road Dead :lol: I have never really been fond of Ford products even though I have drove one almost on a daily basis for the last 12 years with the county. I am a Dodge and Chevy man. They all have their problems and I hope that you find out what the problem is.
Actually, us Ford owners prefer the more dignified "Fix Or Repair Daily". :lol:
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Claybob, you still out in this part of the country? I'm going to manage a gun shop in Atwood in the next month or two. Ya ought to stop on by.
Caco
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Caco »

Get it on an analyzer before you do anything-don't continue to drive it as one defective component can lead to the distruction of many others.
My 96 winstar started getting puchey at various times and conditions. Decided it was bad enough to get analyized-sooo drove it-had to litterally floor it to get to the shop. Did get there but actually coasted the final 30 feet to the door. Couldn't start it to get readings. Visul exam found a teflon tube connector from a tube in the exhaust system was connected to a sensor was blowen off and hot exhaust gas was directed beneath a wiring bundel and melted a multitude of wires together :shock: :x
Fergot to say check engine light had been on for a few days and had seen those occasionally without consequence, so figured it was no hurry to get it analyzed.
Mechanic theorized catalytic converter plugged and back pressure blew the teflon hose off and hot gasses did their thing. Can only imagin when everything is controlled through a computer connected by those wires how much got zapped.
For instance after meltdown tried to unlock it using the fomoco push botton keyless entry. All the door locks started clattering on and off till I disconected the battery :cry:
Just too complicated for us old carb and points distributer types :oops:
Dave
\
Teek
Levergunner

Post by Teek »

Ranger's are good trucks....most of the time! I'm not a mechanic, nor play one on tv, however, my brother is...he even plays one on the internet from time to time! Unfortunately, it's a little bit late tonight for me to make a phone call to him 200 miles away (it's NOT a long distance call...imagine THAT!). He (or anyone else who might be able to help) might need some more info....like what model year is it? What size is the engine? How many miles do you have on it? When was the last time the oil was changed? Was it really that sudden? No warning at ALL? Just all of a sudden at the bank parking lot it started doing all that? No hesitation or slight vibration beforehand? No clunking of gears beforehand, even slightly more than normal? It will be at least 24 hours till I can even get in touch with my brother...IF i can do it then....and still he might not be able to offer any assistance....I'm thinking you need your truck looked at before then....

So...my advice is have a good mechanic look at it...on a diagnostic machine....it sounds like a combination of electrical and mechanical (gear shift problems and "clunking" sounds mechanical; the crappy-running engine sounds electrical). But like I said before...I am NOT a mechanic, and don't even change my own oil, although I know at least how to do that.

Teek
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

jengel wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Claybob, you still out in this part of the country? I'm going to manage a gun shop in Atwood in the next month or two. Ya ought to stop on by.
Jim, I haven't been in Kansas in a little over a year. Sure miss it, though. If I get back over that way, I'll sure stop in for a visit. :D
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

This Ford vs Chevy thing is gettin outa hand.

But I will say that a Ford is not a disposable truck and can be fixed when broken. Unlike the others. And don't start with the "I don't have to fix my XYZ because it never breaks" My 82 F150 has over 300k (not pretty miles) and will still get you there. And it has never burned a drop of gasoline except on the factory floor when it was built. Runs on propane. Inside of the motor looks just like the day it was made.
ImageImageImage
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

FORD - DROF - Driver Returns on Foot

FIAT - Fix It Again, Tony!

I forget most of the rest of 'em.... :lol:

What year and which motor?
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

When I was a kid in 1949, Uncle John and I were talking between the corrals and house at the ranch in Trickham Texas. The toe of my boot scuffed up a length of rusty bailing wire from the loose red soil. I picked it up and asked Uncle John what it was? He said... "Charlie, that is a part for a Ford automobile".
ajw65
Levergunner

Post by ajw65 »

Turn up the radio, it cures everything.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

claybob86
Levergunner

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:57 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jengel wrote:
Found On Road Dead I have never really been fond of Ford products even though I have drove one almost on a daily basis for the last 12 years with the county. I am a Dodge and Chevy man. They all have their problems and I hope that you find out what the problem is.

Actually, us Ford owners prefer the more dignified "Fix Or Repair Daily".
It really stands for First On Race Day :wink: :D .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

The great thing is we have choices. I will say the only pickup I have ever owned is a FORD. My current one is a '91 F150 ext cab. It has over 160,000 miles and uses no oil and runs like a champ. It took me across Alaska twice pulling more then it was supposed to. It would start in minus 17 degree temp without complaining. Does GMC or Chevy make a better truck? I dont know and never will cause my FORDs have never let me down. My little straight 6 cylinder pulled a 7,000 pound trailer up and down the mountains of Alaska. Why on earth would you want anything else.

Gee, whats been the number one selling truck in America for many years? You dont stay on top by selling stuff.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
anachronism
Levergunner

It sounds like....

Post by anachronism »

It sounds like a Throttle Position Sensor. I assume it's fuel injected. Most car parts stores anymore will run it on a scanner for you. If that's all it is, it's a fairly cheap fix. Don't keep driving it the way it is, you could really break something. Get thee to a mechanic...
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Oxygen sensor? The oxygen sensor went out on my wife's car, and it started doing some really wierd stuff.

Cat failure is certainly a possibility.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Also, check your entire exhaust, especially right next to the manifold.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I don't think it is the CAT!! They usually give you plenty of warning when they go!! But the oxygen sensor, is a different animal!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Don't ya just hate that when somebody puts sugar in your gas tank? Really, could be moisture, could be a plugged cat, could be an oxy sensor, heck a bad plug wire could cause the CPU to make it do almost anything. I agree with the U-joint vibration too.