I'm back with an explanation

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ScottT
Shootist

I'm back with an explanation

Post by ScottT »

I needed a little time to complete a task that I had often started, but never finished until tonight.

I was going to read the Bible cover to cover. The New Testament is easy for me (not that I understand much of Revelations), but I really get bogged down in the Old Testament.

But tonight I accomplished something I have tried to do for years, it is done.

Thanks for all your well-wishes Boys. May God bless you.

And Happy New Year!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Welcome back. 1886.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Congratulations Scott, that is quite an accomplishment, I have tried many times reading from cover to cover, even have a schedule for acomplishing in a years time but always SOMETHING distracts me. I recently got the whole Bible on MP3 format discs so I can listen while I drive though nothing beats reading the written word. Wishing you all the best, Ji
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations Scott. My hero in the faith has read it through over 180 times. He's now quit counting. But then he was born in 1921. Everything you read builds on it's self. Renewing your mind.

thanks for posting,
Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:wink:
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

Very good!! :D :D
Break on through to the other side!!!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Scott, that is one of the most worthwhile things a fellow can do. That is one of the most encouraging things I've heard all day.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Welcome back!
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

The most important OT post

Post by Bosco »

Well done brother. May it be strength to you for the rest of your days.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I'm not a religous man. I try to be right, but it's hard and it's easy. I've read beginning to end twice. Once at age 13, and again at 22 ( that was a rough year for me ).

I never really understood what I was reading untill I got a student bible as a gift from my secretary about two years ago. She is a really sweet girl, engaged to be married in June I must add. I've watched her grow from a skinney 13 year old teen to a fine Christian womam. I wish I had her commitment. I'm not a rightous man, but I strive to be fair and charitable.

A work in progress I guess.

Good for you, brother.
Teek
Levergunner

Post by Teek »

Congratulations, Scott! I'd get bogged down in Numbers for a month or so!!! :shock: Glad to see you're back...

Teek
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I knew it was something frivolous.

:wink:

Congratulations ScottT, you always seem to set the bar just a little bit higher.

:D
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Congratulations Scott. :) That is an accomplishment for sure. Welcome back and thanks for the inspiration.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GREAT....now we gotta re-do the sign....again.....Oh, well.... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Congratulations and welcome back. While in my early 20's, I was laid up for about 4 weeks and read both the Bible cover to cover and Stephen King's "The Stand". However, the trouble with reading the Bible in such fashion is that I did not digest it properly. All these years later, it is much more satisfying to pick out several related passages and study them in depth. Once again, a great accomplishment and welcome back.
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I read it about 16 years ago. I bought a new NIV bible and in the back it had a schedule of what to read each day in order to read it all in a year, so that's what I did.
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

do yall read the king james version or the new version?? I was thinking about picking up a new version..I think it will be easier for me to understand.
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Good for you ScottT. :D I have a schedule in the back of my Bible that sets you up to finish in one year but I have never got very far with it, I am hoping that this year it happens.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Way to go, Scott! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Most of the OT is really fine literature, but it is easy to get stuck in the Numeri or the Deuteronomy with all rules and counting. The Chronicles and the Books of Kings have a lot of good stories, worth reading and meditating. And there is a lot more, which is nice stuff to go back to and read again.

Good decision and good to have fulfilled!

Blessed New Year!

Old Sh.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Well done Scott. I read the bible every day, a chapter of old testament, a chapter of New, and a psalm. I read the Psalms all year. May your sense of accomplishment be cherished and serve to keep you into the word always. Welcome back.

As to version I read, I use the NIV for most of my reading but I have several versions that I use to get a feel for some passages. For those who want to read a really inspired version, the Message is awesome, is in simple language and can really bring insight into the scriptures and give direction in application. Just mho
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

Well I am just a little bit confused.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

It's one of those attention and acceptance things.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Savage99 wrote:do yall read the king james version or the new version?? I was thinking about picking up a new version..I think it will be easier for me to understand.

There are several newer versions of the Bible that are easier to read than the KJV. Different people have different opinions on them. They all have strengths and weaknesses. I like the NASB. For readability, the NLT is probably one of the easiest, although I don't like how it renders somethings. NIV is pretty good, too.
.........THE TWINS..........

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Now there's an accomplishment of value. :wink: Not to say that passing the bar, serving the community in law enforcement or being a good friend, father and husband don't count. My question is, what do you do next?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Savage99 wrote:do yall read the king james version or the new version?? I was thinking about picking up a new version..I think it will be easier for me to understand.
I've only got about 30 versions in four languages on my "Bible Shelf". The King James is the "classic" English language translation, but it leaves a lot to be desired - on various levels. For reading in English, take a look at the Holman Christian Standard Bible, the New International Version and New American Standard version. I'm sure you'll find one that "reads" for you, so to speak. The New International sounds "funny" to those of us who grew up on the King James. The New American Standard version would "read" better in that case. Last year I picked up the Holman Christian Standard Bible but have not spent a lot of time reading it yet. What I HAVE read, I like. Any of the three I mention will give you a reliable translation in a more readable English.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
BAP
Levergunner

Post by BAP »

congrats. scott, even though i dont know you it sounds as if we will meet someday..
i have read from cover to cover a few times myself..
its amazing you learn something different each time...
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

read the bible

Post by brucew44guns »

Anyone who takes the time to read the bible and concentrate on it, would probably agrre with this: that the the characters of the bible begin to seem like friends and family members. Once we really start to understand who Moses was, who Abraham was, what Jacob did, how Joseph saved his family in Egypt, how Paul was used, and etc, etc, etc,---the book takes on a more personal need in our life. Good job Scott, and thanks for sharing.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Thanks guys,

But there were plenty of times I thought I would not make it. I will do it again this year, and hopefully be less bogged down, but I did it in an attempt to learn something.

I did not absorb as much as I should have and I need to look at some things much more carefully.

I may spend some additional time in the "wisdom" sections (Psalms and Proverbs) and have started reading Provebs to my son. He likes it.

It is something that should be easy to accomplish in a year's time, but it was not for me.

Happy New Year my friends.......I hope for all the best for each of us.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What Version? Savage 99 - I have read the NASB and the New King James through and use half dozen others to compare readings.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

model55
Levergunner 3.0

I'm back

Post by model55 »

Good for you I've always meant to do that along with books of other Faiths but have never managed.
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

Well done, Doug.
a armed man is his own master
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Good on ya, ScottT.

My wife gave me a "hunter's bible" this year for Christmas, (it's in a camo zip-up cover and small,) and while I like the IDEA of reading scripture while afield, I just can't bring my self to read while hunting. There's already too much of God's design going on around me in real time, so to speak.

I do keep a pocket NIV in the truck, as well as the new hunter's bible toilet-side. I'll flip open to Proverbs or Psalms while offloading. Those are my favorites, but I like to read about Solomon, too.

It's a hard thing to accomplish, and I'm proud of you! The fact that you feel like there's more to go over reveals the very nature of Scripture: as we grow and change, the message for us also changes, or our perspective does. There will ALWAYS be some gleaming nugget of goodness in there for you, and always something else to cover more closely.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

ScottT wrote: I may spend some additional time in the "wisdom" sections (Psalms and Proverbs) and have started reading Provebs to my son. He likes it.
Scott,

One thing about Proverbs is that it's nicely divided into 31 chapters. One for each day of the month. You can read through it 12 times in one year - one chapter a day. Well, there's a few extra chapters there since not all months have 31 days, but still, if you read the chapter corresponding to the day of the month (January 1 = Proverbs 1 for example) then you'll have a plan to dig into the book and gain from it in a big way.

My uncle used to read a chapter with his family each day after lunch. It was a great way to keep the ideas and precepts behind the teachings always before folks' minds...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
rob
Levergunner

Post by rob »

Try the New Kind James...it still has a nice style to it but it is imminently readable and flows very well and is based on the same text as the KJV. The Believers Study Bible put out by the professors at the Criswell College is in NKJV and has some extremely helpful notes in it. I have several study Bibles (some very good) and the Believers Study Bible is my favorite. Before someone else states the obvious, the notes in a study Bible are not inspired...they are there as a help...and some study Bibles are far better than others. Hope this helps,

rob
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

I guess I prefer the KJV, followed very closely by the NASB, then the NKJV.

A longtime favorite expositor of mine many years ago said the Bible could be read through in a year by reading ten pages a day. Just make allowances for some days reading 11 or so and some 9, stopping at a natural point, i.e., a chapter's end.

Actually, this method allows it to be done in about 6 months if done faithfully.

I don't like "study" Bibles for primary reading as they distract me and a lot of readers, especially those inexperienced with the Bible. Read them after reading the selected passages through in a more nondistracting format first.
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

Great!!

Welcome back.

Some of the "pictures" of Christ in the OT (Isaac, Joseph,for example) make it really rich reading. I love Ecclesiastes too!

Right now I am trying John MacArthur's recommendation of reading the same short book or 7 chapters or so of a larger book each day for a month, to really get saturated in it. I'm in Colossians now, and I haven't been too consistent, but I am seeing some things in it that I used to miss.

Take care,

Tom

PS I still prefer the KJV, but I DO know that it wasn't the one the Apostle Paul used! I have the NKJV, NIV, and ESV around also. Strong's Concordance helps, along with a few commentaries. (Matthew Henry, Jamison, Faucett and Brown, Adam Clarke, and John Calvin, along with Spurgeon on the Psalms)
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

Also,

Check out crosswalk.com

Great Bible search online in many versions, and many study helps available too.

I find it very helpful, and you can copy and paste to a word document to prepare lessons, sermons, or just gathering thoughts on certain topics you are studying.

Take care,

Tom
rob
Levergunner

Post by rob »

Rod WMG wrote:I guess I prefer the KJV, followed very closely by the NASB, then the NKJV.

I don't like "study" Bibles for primary reading as they distract me and a lot of readers, especially those inexperienced with the Bible. Read them after reading the selected passages through in a more nondistracting format first.
I completely agree...I do tend to read the text and ignore the study portion in my daily reading and just don't pay attention to it. I'll look at it when I have a question or if I'm trying to study something in depth and then they can be quite helpful and I'll usually compare several study Bibles and several other references. I really like the Believers Study Bible though for an all around study Bible and find out of all of them I have it's the best about letting scripture interpret scripture rather than taking something and reading into it.

BTW...I wonder how many folks here know what WMG stands for...I remember but that seems like years ago:)
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

Great accomplishment ScottT……..I have read through it in a year before and have fell short quite a few time’s also but this year I going to do it once more
Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Old Shatterhand wrote:Most of the OT is really fine literature, but it is easy to get stuck in the Numeri or the Deuteronomy with all rules and counting. The Chronicles and the Books of Kings have a lot of good stories, worth reading and meditating. And there is a lot more, which is nice stuff to go back to and read again.

Good decision and good to have fulfilled!

Blessed New Year!

Old Sh.
+1!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

There is no better way to lose ones self but in the Word. Good for you.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Inspirational Scott! Glad you are back with us too!!! :D

Nothing like knocking out a resolution before the year even starts! You're going to make the rest of us look bad brother!!! :wink:
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Unfortunately, it was last year's resolution, but I did beat the deadline.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The most important thing is that a fellow enjoys it at whatever pace he's reading and has a little time to ponder what he read. It slowly soaks in over the years in a very good way. I have a leather bound journal that I'm recording different scriptures in and a very brief thought about each scripture that strikes me. This journal is for my children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren to read and learn from if I die. I've already told them what I'm doing so they keep it and read it. I like to read the Bible with a hot cup of tea, coffee, or apple cider. It's my time with God and I enjoy it very much.
Last edited by KirkD on Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Superb. That is an accomplishment.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: I'm back with an explanation

Post by Old Ironsights »

ScottT wrote:I needed a little time to complete a task that I had often started, but never finished until tonight.

I was going to read the Bible cover to cover. The New Testament is easy for me (not that I understand much of Revelations), but I really get bogged down in the Old Testament.

But tonight I accomplished something I have tried to do for years, it is done.

Thanks for all your well-wishes Boys. May God bless you.

And Happy New Year!
Good for you.

Now time to go back and read it in the Original Hebrew & Greek... :wink:

The hardest part of the Pentatuch is Numbers. After that, it's all pretty much good old fashioned Wars, Reprisals and Prophesies. 8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

It is always a good and laudatory thing to reach and goal and the reading of scripture is very good goal.

I have read the Bible "qiver to qiver" several times, in English and Spanish. I have read the New Testament material scores of times.

Now here is the "question of application" as the Preacher like to say..

What did you learn? In which way or ways has the project impacted your life? There is no right or wrong answer, nor does it need to be answered. Just something to be pondered.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yes to all that Kirk and Charles said.
Last edited by Old Savage on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Congats Scott.
It has been awhile since I have read my Bible like that. I prefer my KJV besides being what I grew up with I find that the old language forces me to think more on what I am reading. Well since I am on duty tonight I'll swing by the house and pick up my copy I have the next 24hours to start the reading it again. Thanks for the insperation Scott.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis