NOT-OT gun box

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

NOT-OT gun box

Post by Grizz »

I got to fooling around with some scrap plywood to prototype a fitted gun box. Put minwax on it after this photo:

The innards look like this. There is approximately 150 rounds in the round part. [get it?]. It costs a quarter to reassemble.

The brass pins are tapered and fit into lubed holes in the top. I have to decide how to fasten it. I am thinking of cutting down a leather garrison belt..,

Grizz
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Looks great Grizz and a worthy project for a nice rifle!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

An aerosol can of spray-on velvet flock - in a nice color, that'll match yore shorts, applied to the innards, and she'll be good to go ! :wink:
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Pete44ru wrote:An aerosol can of spray-on velvet flock - in a nice color, that'll match yore shorts, applied to the innards, and she'll be good to go ! :wink:
No no, hand cut felt is the only way to go. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Grizz,
When I made the case for my Marlin 1893 two barrel takedown set, I went to the Goodwill and bought an old briefcase for a buck. I then removed the brass corners, hinges, and handle, and put them on my homemade case.
I bought felt remnants from a local pool table builder and cut them to fi the dividers in the case. I then glued them in with Gorilla glue.
This was a very inexpensive way to go, and I made my outside box out of leftover oak flooring I ran through my table saw, and then glued together on the edges. Once glued took the boards to a planer and planed them smooth, and sanded them.
The logo on he inside of the lid was color copied from my 1908 Marlin catalog.
This box cost me less than $10 total!

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

marlinman93 wrote:Grizz,
When I made the case for my Marlin 1893 two barrel takedown set, I went to the Goodwill and bought an old briefcase for a buck. I then removed the brass corners, hinges, and handle, and put them on my homemade case.
I bought felt remnants from a local pool table builder and cut them to fi the dividers in the case. I then glued them in with Gorilla glue.
This was a very inexpensive way to go, and I made my outside box out of leftover oak flooring I ran through my table saw, and then glued together on the edges. Once glued took the boards to a planer and planed them smooth, and sanded them.
The logo on he inside of the lid was color copied from my 1908 Marlin catalog.
This box cost me less than $10 total!
That's a beauty! Love those take downs. It's fun to get the guns squared away in their own kennels isn't it? I'm going to start one for the H&Rs, and then build one for my O/U.

I guess it doesn't show but there's a fake lambswool fabric glued under the gun parts. They don't move when the lid is on.

I might hinge the next one, I have an idea about that. It's nice to have one I could park on and not hurt the gun..,

Grizz
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Grizz - Please consider removing the lambswool, ASAP ! I know, I know - it has lanolin in it - that means it holds moisture from soaking into the lambswool but doesn't keep the moisture away from the gun.

You might very well take it out of the case one day, turn it over, and get a really sick feeling in the pit of your stomach - Don't ask me about the pristine old 8 3/8" S&W M-48 .22mag, I ruined like that. :cry:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Pete44ru wrote:Grizz - Please consider removing the lambswool, ASAP ! I know, I know - it has lanolin in it - that means it holds moisture from soaking into the lambswool but doesn't keep the moisture away from the gun.

You might very well take it out of the case one day, turn it over, and get a really sick feeling in the pit of your stomach - Don't ask me about the pristine old 8 3/8" S&W M-48 .22mag, I ruined like that. :cry:
Pete,

You've got a good point and I had not thought that thru. I'm going to get felt as soon as I can to replace it.

It's a fake material, but I can see how it could be hazardous to leave it in there. Thanks for the heads up.

Just as a personal favor out of gratitude for your nice observation I'm ready and willing to take that ruined old handgun so you won't be reminded of your misfortune..,

;) Grizz
DavidS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidS »

Also avoid oil impregnated gun socks from Beretta. I bought 2 to put my 2 extra barrels from my CPA Stevens in and a month later I pulled one of the barrels out and what ever they use as a rust preventive attacked the oil finish on the forewoods of both barrels! It fish eyed the finish and left the fabric imprint on the wood and made the wood very sticky to the touch. I am in the process of making a wooden box for the barrels. The moral of the story is that I was worried about the barrels getting rust on them and I wound up having to refinish the wood instead! Needless to say,the gun socks went in the trash can.
David S
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If you use felt, be sure it's wool felt! Regular cotton felt also draws moisture! Marlin used the regular felt on their two gun engraved commemorative sets of 336-39a octagons back in 1970. It's rare to see one of these sets that doesn't have corrosion if they were stored in their case!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Just as a personal favor out of gratitude for your nice observation I'm ready and willing to take that ruined old handgun so you won't be reminded of your misfortune]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't worry - I won't burden you, either - I was so upset at myself, I sold it !