Headspace Issue with 1893 Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
spstr2002
Levergunner

Headspace Issue with 1893 Marlin

Post by spstr2002 »

I have a 1893 Marlin 32-40, I got it from my father in law, he has passed away. I want to get it shooting, and have cleaned up the bore, loaded up some blackpowder equivalent loads, but had tumbling. I got different softer bullets. I do have headspace issues. How do I fix that?
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Headspace Issue with 1893 Marlin

Post by TX Gun Runner »

doubled
Last edited by TX Gun Runner on Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image..Image
Image......Image
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Head space won't make a bullet tumble , sounds like wrong size bullet . You will need to slug the bore .
Image..Image
Image......Image
spstr2002
Levergunner

Post by spstr2002 »

I started with .321 bullets, have upped it to .323, but guys at the range noted something on the fired brass that lead them to believe headspace was the issue. I haven't loaded up and shot the .323 yet.
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

1) Could you tell us a little more about your 1893? Like what is the serial number, does it say Smokeless Steel etc..... How many inches is the barrel, does it look like the barrel matches the receiver regarding wear etc...

2) Why do you say headspace problems??? A little more on the symptoms that led you to believe that.

3) What powder and grains of it are you using?

I'm hoping that like others have said, you just need to find the right diameter bullet for this gun. Usually the 1893 Marlin is one fine rifle and fairly easy to get to shoot well.

Geoff
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Headspace is controlled by the Locking Lug. I had headspace issue on my takedown.
bought a handfull of Locking Lugs and the one that looked unused brought headspace
back to perfect.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

spstr2002 wrote:.... but guys at the range noted something on the fired brass that lead them to believe headspace was the issue. .....
The 1893 Marlins are a little springly and the primers will back out of the cases with light loads.
It is not a big deal. Either load up to factory specs with rifle primers or substitute pistol primers in your light loads and the apparent problem will go away.

This happens often, usually with rimmed cases. The rifle primers have enough pressure to push out of the primer pocket but the light load does not have enough pressure to overcome friction between the case and chamber to re-seat them. The milder pistol primer will usually stay in place and has enough spark to ignite the faster powders generally used with reduced lead bullet loads. Remember though, that pistol primers are not to be used for higher pressure (full ) loads because the cups are softer and thinner and will not hold up to high pressures.

Either way, the primers backing out really doen't hurt anything. I simply ground a channel in the top of my shellholder to clear the protruding primer. You could also decap with the Lee decapping rod and base which is sold separately. The .30 cal decapper will work just fine with the .32-40.

Jack
spstr2002
Levergunner

Post by spstr2002 »

Yup, it was more than a year ago, last time to the range, an oldtimer, told me that that hardcast bullets with the gas check probably weren't sealing right, recommended soft lead with little larger bore, so I have some .323 to load up. I am using 5744, I think it is 44, don't have the box with me as powder, 16grains, got the load out of handloader magazine for that gun. It is round barrel gun, I believe I measured 28 inch barrel. It has a tang peep, and was grouping in about a 12 inch circle around the bull at 25 yards, the bullets at that time were tumbling.

The head space comment came from the protruding primers after firing the shots, I have pistol primers I can try, thanks for the good tips. I did have the barrel crown cleaned up, it was a little beat up, and had to have the side screws tighted as it wouldn't work the action properly when they got loose, tightened them one myself, tried to get some new screws, but a local gun smith got them tightened again, and I think he lock tighted them.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

I use IMR4227 and fed 150 pistol primer

Image..Image
Image......Image
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Try 'em without the gas checks, they might be inhibiting bumping up the bullet. Also, hard cast might just be too hard!
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Unless it is a hollow base bullet, you can't "bump up a bullet" with smokeless powder.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Try 'em without the gas checks, they might be inhibiting bumping up the bullet. Also, hard cast might just be too hard!
I don't shoot gas checks and only 25 to1 alloy . I normally shoot 200 yds , lost my target in the last move . I cut mostly all my own molds .

Image..Image
Image......Image
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Put a single layer of masking tape on the base of the case, then put it in the chamber and slowly close the lever. If you feel no resisitance open it and add a second layer, and repeat. Keep doing so until you feel some resistance to closing the lever at the very end. Anything over two layers is a problem with headspace. If it's two or less, the gun's headspace is fine, and your loads are too light.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

marlinman93 wrote:Put a single layer of masking tape on the base of the case, then put it in the chamber and slowly close the lever. If you feel no resisitance open it and add a second layer, and repeat. Keep doing so until you feel some resistance to closing the lever at the very end. Anything over two layers is a problem with headspace. If it's two or less, the gun's headspace is fine, and your loads are too light.
Size the case first and make a dummy load (no powder), then do what marlinman says.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Since my hard drive fried during our last power outage, I lost the link discussing this at Marlin Collectors, Marlin Owners or maybe it was here, a few years back.
Ultimately, the consensus was that the headspace is pretty generous on the old Marlins.
I have a 1893 38-55 and have had no problems because the primer backs out more than it probably should. I keep my loads at or near the starting loads.
Buy a headspace gauge if it concerns you. They are cheap and used correctly, can tell you the real story.
I recall that there is an action part that can be built up or maybe replaced with a slightly larger one, thus reducing slop. Can't remember which part right now...
otteray
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes you can size the case, but better to use a factory new round for this.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Little Doc
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Little Doc »

your boolet needs to match the throat. i once had a 93 in 32-40 that keyholed all boolets at 25 yds. would only put two of five on a one ft square. i increased the boolet size to .325 and all is fine now. copy the loads listed above with the larger boolet and you will probably see good results. this will probably take care of what seems to be excessive headspace. what you have been told already is good info.
ld
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

spstr2002 wrote: It has a tang peep, and was grouping in about a 12 inch circle around the bull at 25 yards, the bullets at that time were tumbling.
Headspace will never make a bullet tumble at 25 yds , only the wrong size bullet will . Like shooting a 30-30 in a 32-40 chamber . A group of 12" at 25 yds sound like a shotgun pattern .
Image..Image
Image......Image
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

If you haven't done so already, slug your bore.
It might be bigger than you realize. Typical for 1893 Marlin.
otteray