Is there only one serial number on the 357 1894 Marlins?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sharps54
Levergunner

Is there only one serial number on the 357 1894 Marlins?

Post by sharps54 »

I have come across a Marlin 1894 in .357 (not on this board) that has had the tang drilled for a sight, well they drilled through the second digit of the s.n. I don't have the rifle (or my 1894) handy, does the factory stamp a s.n. anywhere else on the rifle? Is this something that is a "don't touch with a 10' pole" type deal or can it be saved?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Is there only one serial number on the 357 1894 Marlins?

Post by mescalero1 »

My 1894 .44 Mag. only has it on the tang.
Some overzealous ATF dingus could probably try to make his bones on it,
sharps54
Levergunner

Post by sharps54 »

mescalero1 wrote:My 1894 .44 Mag. only has it on the tang.
Some overzealous ATF dingus could probably try to make his bones on it,
Yeah, that is what I am afraid of. I guess I should let it go. :(
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

That's a shame; it should not be so.
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

Question, if you were to have the serial #engraved, lets say, on the bottom tang, or on the left front bottom of the receiver before drilling for a Marbles sight, would it be illegal?
de k8bor

Dave
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Can you tell what the serial number is (and are absolutely certain)?

If so, you should be able to have it permanately engraved elsewhere and be okay. I'd stick to a position on the frame/receiver, as this is the "gun" in the eyes of the BATFE. Make the current owner do it - and advise them strongly that if they decide to sell it or keep it, they had better bring it into compliance pronto.

Logic says this should suffice. Then again, we are talking about the government, so logic is usually the first thing that gets chucked out the window... :roll:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Hmmmmmmmmm - It's been my understanding that you could engrave the serial number in an alternative place on the receiver but that you had to get the permission of BATF "BEFORE" doing it.
ED
Yer never too old
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The strict interpretation of the law is that it is illegal to alter the serial number. Period.

I'd look for another rifle.

Contacting the ATF to get permission to "fix" this one is not advisable - as you are basically admitting to owning an illegal firearm and all's it would take is to get ahold of Barney Fife ATF agent..... and there's plenty of them unfortunatley.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

restamp it above or below the hole..

then don't ask, n dont tell....

The ser # must be on the frame, not on the lower tang...

you are not changing the number from the original, so, dont ask n dont tell anyone... if some one saks just act dumm...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I find it interesting to note that for all that the BATFE says the 4473 isn't a registration, they make it a crime to alter the serial number... which, except for date of manufacture, could ONLY be linked to the 4473/transfer documents...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
sharps54
Levergunner

Post by sharps54 »

The hole totally covers that one digit. The owner remembers that it is a zero but there is no way to tell by looking at it. Of course since he isn't local I would also have to find a FFL to put it in their books and the two I talked to today both agreed they wouldn't feel comfortable doing so (I don't blame 'em) so I have told the guy I can't take it.

Mores the pity.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

The JBTs would love to nail someone over an issue like this. It's easy, the guy isn't an actual "criminal" so he wouldn't fight much. It's your tax dollars at work!
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cracker
Levergunner

Post by Cracker »

I would stay away from that! like has been said it is verboten to alter the SN and someone from BATF would surely thry to get a raise on your back. That said the sight he used must not have been for that rifle, I have a Lyman on a 30AW and a Marbles on a 1984 and neither required alteration of the SN. The Marbles came close and you can see the last # threw the screw hole but not where it was drilled/tapped. Both SN's ARE COVERED but not altered.
Yes, I know it's cocked, It's got bullets too.

ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)
sharps54
Levergunner

Post by sharps54 »

Yeah, it's kind of like the first generation of side saddles for shotguns (the things that hold 6 shots on the side of the receiver), they covered the s.n. but you could just take them off to see it. I think some of the newer models now have a slot so you can see the s.n. while they are in place.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

This is exactly the reason Marlin moved the serial number to the lower portion of the left side of the receiver on some of the CB models. I say some because I do not know if all CB models have their serial number's in this area. I would think the ATF would frown on any firearm serial number rendered unreadable. Intentional, nefarious or not. 1886.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

1886 wrote:This is exactly the reason Marlin moved the serial number to the lower portion of the left side of the receiver on some of the CB models. I say some because I do not know if all CB models have their serial number's in this area. I would think the ATF would frown on any firearm serial number rendered unreadable. Intentional, nefarious or not. 1886.

I think they might be putting them all there now. Theres a thread on Marlin owners with a link to an auction for the first .338MXLR. Its a nicely engraved gun with the number on the bottom left side of the reciever. I think its pretty fugly myself & it'll probably keep me from getting one, for awhile anyway. :mrgreen:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Not sure if Marlin still does this, but they used to serial number the left side of the top tang, under the stocks. Also the stock itself under the top tang. If there's a question as to what the number once was, you might pull the stock and check these places.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

marlinman93 wrote:Not sure if Marlin still does this, but they used to serial number the left side of the top tang, under the stocks. Also the stock itself under the top tang. If there's a question as to what the number once was, you might pull the stock and check these places.

They dont do that anymore. Theres a partial usually on the bolt though.
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by blueroan »

There were an 1894C and 1894 at a gun show last week...both with serial numbers indicating 2008 production...that had the serial numbers on the lower left front of their receivers. I was looking for MARLIN Cowboy rifles in 357 or 30/30 with 24 inch barrels and/or straight grip stocked 30/30s for conversion to Cowboy rifles (about $300.)
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:The JBTs would love to nail someone over an issue like this. It's easy, the guy isn't an actual "criminal" so he wouldn't fight much. It's your tax dollars at work!
What do you mean, "not an actual 'criminal'," THESE are the violent gun-loving people who are causing our violent crime rate to skyrocket! Most gun owners don't know it [because it isn't true], but over 2,000 children are killed every DAY due to lever-action rifles with altered serial numbers!

The poor, unfortunate people who actually KILL people with firearms of any type, or with knives, clubs, hands, or feet, are NOT the problem in our nation. They are NOT the reason our violent crime rate is increasing [because it is actually decreasing].

The worst problem is all those target shooters, collectors, hunters, and civil-rights absolutists [who think staying alive vs. tyranny is somehow more important than being able to copulate with sheep] who have all those 'semi-automatic' guns with all those 'sticky-out-things' like 'protruding pistol grips' and 'bayonet lugs' and 'laser sights' and stuff like that.

Thank goodness our new administration is going to protect us from guys like you...

[/sarcasm off]
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

AJMD429 wrote:Most gun owners don't know it [because it isn't true], but over 2,000 children are killed every DAY due to lever-action rifles with altered serial numbers!
Well, I guess everyone is SOMEONE'S child, so maybe that "2,000 children" is way too low!
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville