Amazing 'Photo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Amazing 'Photo

Post by aussie »

I know this is way off topic, but have you guys seen this? It is amazing, especially since the pic was taken in 1918.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/patriotic/liberty.asp
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: Amazing 'Photo

Post by Doc Hudson »

The same guy who staged that photo also had a bunch of troops stand in a formation that formed a portrait of President Woodrow Wilson.

He made several photos of that sort, but the Statue of Liberty and Wilson are the only ones that spring to mind at the moment.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Neat, thanks for posting :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Great photo and story. Of course the military is good a moving personnel in formations, it is the fastest way or so I have been told. My experience with such organized movements involved me while in the U.S. Army back in 1961. On the weekends at the school after the 0800 work formations if no special jobs or details were needed we where free to go on weekend pass. It seemed that about every Saturday, someone in Headquarters would come up with something to tie us up until late afternoon. One weekend we thought we could get out of the B.S. stuff for a change but someone wanted to move the bleachers on one side of the parade field to the other side of the field. These were the type which disassembled into many pieces (aluminum), moved then reassembled. They figured it would use up the day for us. We also had a large number of reservists and National Guardsmen in training at the time, with rank. This was due to near or total activiation of all reserves and such due to the Berlin Wall crisis. Anyway, we where marched to the parade field, about 500 soldiers in all. A senior NCO was put in charge and told to get it done. Well he looked it all over, had us fall out of formation cross over to the bleachers, then fall back into formation amongst the bleachers, by sections. He ordered each section to pick up their section ove bleachers, walk across the field, wheel 180 degrees, set thesections down opposite from where they had been. From arrival to completion of the task took about 20 minutes. We then went back to our company areas, and got our passes. Word had it Headquarters was not pleased at this original thinking but it was a done deal and everyone was gone on pass. It was a good day and good organizational skills. :D Long story, sorry. Have a good day.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

That's pretty amazing.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

It will take a while to dig up, but there is a contemporary guy who does this type of "perspective painting" only as street art.

His stuff is creepy/scary real... until you look at it from an alternative perspective/the wrong angle.

Edit: Kurt Wenner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNSGILZb ... re=related

Julian Beever is another one:
http://www.moillusions.com/2007/12/juli ... ewalk.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECeGwg7C ... re=related
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

O.I. thanks for sharing the Kurt Wenner link. I've seen his stuff before but it is still mind blowing!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

It is mind boggling to me to think of having that kind of talent! :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o