Creedmoor Recreation,.... long range shooting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Creedmoor Recreation,.... long range shooting

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Shooting USA - Creedmoor Recreation

it's black powder, both muzzleloaders and cartridge guns, firing
to preserve the famous competition from the past. It's Creedmoor 135 years later and the famous guns from the period thousands of spectators turned out to watch long range competition. Then the Army Marksmanship Service Rifle Team teaches reading the wind for their kind of long range competition.

Tonight on Shooting USA on the outdoor channel
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Creedmoor Recreation,.... long range shooting

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the heads up. I like to watch it and have it programmed to play... but I often miss it as I have to stop and set up the dish. 8:30 EST for those interested.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Looking at the schedule it'll be 230,430 and 630 mtn time.
I do hope there isn't as much misinformation on the show as they're putting on the web page, but it promises to be a bunch more intersesting that watching another IDPSA match. :o
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Wonder if you can watch it online? I don't get the Outdoor Channel, and I'd like to see that one! I'm just starting a new black powder rifle project on an original #1 Rolling Block Sporter action.-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You might get to watch it online. But it was mostly just talking about the muzzleloaders. Some close up's of some really fine Henry and Rigby guns.

I just wish they'ld of fact checked a little bit, instead of just flat out saying that cartridge guns were never allowed to shoot the Creedmore, only muzzleloaders :o But they would let the cartridge guns shoot at this match. :?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not exactly Creedmoor, but in the same spirit, I've heard of people using standard-velocity .22 LR's (some 'historic' scale-downs, some just regular guns) to shoot out to maybe 300 yards with the .22's, and get practice with the extended ranging and elevation issues. Sounds fun. I'm guessing they use the standard velocity maybe because it is more challenging (drops more) or perhaps it doesn't start wobbling when it goes subsonic because isn't it subsonic at the muzzle? Anyway, seems like an affordable way to do some fun shooting on a 'smaller' long-range range...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I don't know about 300 yds, but I shoot this one to 270 pretty regular. Even did some today. Doesn't seem to matter much which ammo you shoot, except the utlra high speed stuff rem vipers etc, don't fare to well if the wind comes up. It really doesn't take a whole bunch of elevation to get out there. With the Federal Champion stuff I was shooting today. 35 minutes elevation did it, takes about 40 with the Aquila match ammo.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Image..Image
Image......Image
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

That's one handsome peice of highwall Tenn
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Amazing how Rem. and Sharps were able to win at Creedmoor with cartridge guns, but no cartridges! :wink:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Been thinking about writing Scouten and pointing out his error., but that'ld be like trying to explain to a former CAS shooter that a Colt Bisley grip, and a Ruger Bisley grip aren't the same thing. :o :mrgreen:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I was impressed with the accuracy of the ML's. Deadly scary for a frontstuffer.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don McDowell wrote::D Been thinking about writing Scouten and pointing out his error., but that'ld be like trying to explain to a former CAS shooter that a Colt Bisley grip, and a Ruger Bisley grip aren't the same thing. :o :mrgreen:
Mo, Don... wait, you might be right, yo said "former", so I'd hafta assume they didn't stick around long enough to learn anything! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Kim those paper patched muzzleloaders were some scary accurate beasts. If you haven't read it, sometime if you can find one , Try Ned Robersts Muzzleloading Caplock rifle book. Lots of good info there.

Griff I'm thinking thats probably about the size of it. :mrgreen:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When I was shooting muzzleloaders in my club we had one guy that was a 5 time National Champ. He and his dad were both machinists. He shot a .40 cal round ball in a Green Mountain .40 cal barrel. There were quite a few guys in our club that followed his lead and were shooting the same setup he had.
In a .40 cal barrel they were shooting a .401 round ball patched with .015 pillow ticking that was coated with teflon on one side. The balls were started and patched cut on a false muzzle, then driven through the false muzzle and into the bore.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Most really serious competition ML shooters use barrels with false muzzles. Some believe it gives them better accuracy, but most just use them to protect the crown and maintain the good accuracy their barrel already has.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Here one I built

Image..Image
Image......Image