What do you think of this gun, is it worth it?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

What do you think of this gun, is it worth it?

Post by Lastmohecken »

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =120889608

This gun seems kind of neat. Is it the real deal? A factory custom? I know the recoil pad is not original. Of course it has been reblued and the stock refinished and I don't think it has the original sights.

Comments?
NRA Life Member, Patron
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Re: What do you think of this gun, is it worth it?

Post by Hagler »

Lastmohecken,

My first thoughts are that it has been refinished. The auction description does not say that, but this phrase:
someone really knew what they were doing with this carbine.
...tells me what the seller is not explicitly stating.

The pictures do not say to me "Eastern carbine". The magazine tube does not look right. The buttpad also says to me "I have been monkeyed with". Oh, the rifle looks nice, cosmetically, but it also looks wrong, featurewise.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Yes, I think they say it has been redone. It doesn't look right to me either, But I wouldn't mind owning it, but probaby not at that price.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Keep looking, you will find one that has not been "rebuilt" and for less money. :D
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Hard to believe the rear sight is original, you could not put it at it's highest elevation :!: :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

I wouldn't hazzard a guess on value, but there are a bunch of later additions or changes that make this rifle sort of a mix-master. The recoil pad is the most obvious addition. The rear sight is prolly off one of those post 64 commemorative units. They are without a doubt the cheapest rear sight I have ever seen. The flat stock is bent up to give it a rear leaf, and bent under to fill up the dovetail. The magazine tube and magazine tube cap also look to be from a post '64 Model 64. The front sight looks to be original and the barrel may belong to the receiver, but who's to say. I would be suspicious of the originality of the bluing on the receiver, but not having the rifle in my hands, it's hard to say. My Winchester information is still packed from a move so I'll have to take his word on the receiver manufacture date. Hope this helps. Watch yer top knot. Wind
winshooter
Levergunner

Post by winshooter »

The seller isn't misrepresenting this gun;
Pictures tell the story on this outstanding 3/4 mag, special order, restored, 1894 Eastern carbine.
However I believe it's overpriced for what it is. It's a good shooter now....nothing else. If you're looking for one more original then keep looking. If you're looking for a good shooter, keep looking.

Mike
Retired Navy (1966-2004)
CRPA member
SBR&GC member
"Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
Benjamin Franklin
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

winshooter,

I just noticed that. I was wrong. ...however, "restored" does not come to my mind, when I see that "Eastern carbine". :!: :idea:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Looks like a parts gun project to me.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

$300 too high. I like it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

That gun is worth ....maybe 450...
refinished...aftermarket recoil pad..
I would pass....
you can find a much better gun at that price
that has not been altered...
but is is a nice gun...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have one almost the same with original finish and have about 1250.00 in it. I personally thank it is worth it. I sure would rather have it than a new one. After looking at all the photos the rear sight is a problem and I would think it would have a saddle ring. Maybe you should wait for a better example even if it is restored. I don't have any problems buying or trading for a restored Winchester for shooting if it has all original parts.

Last edited by rangerider7 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I think it's worth more than $4-450, and would be worth the askin' price if it weren't for that rubber recoil pad. Nice carbine, rangrider7.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I could run over and look at that gun, but knowing those guys, it wouldn't make any difference. It is not by any means "restored", but simply reblued with minimal buffing on critical areas. The receiver has been seriously buffed, leaving the screws raised a bit. IMO, it may be worth $400., but not any more. It does not interest me. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Note the fluted comb. Did Winchester make them that way?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

rangerider 7, that is a nice one you have there :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It's been drilled and tapped for a reciever sight, that era gun didnt come from the factory D&T'ed. Could have been a special order, but I wouldnt assume so without a factory letter. It's 20 or so years too early to be D&T'ed for a receiver sight.

The rear sight looks like a Marlin sight. I've never ever seen such a cheap sight on a Winchester. Even the post 64 guns had better sights. It had a leaf (ladder) sight originally. They had the dovetail closer to the receiver, and regular rifle sights don't work out well on them, as is the case with this one. It was likely chosen because it fit the short space, and, as someone noted, you dont have room to run the elevator up all the way.

The stock looks like a 55 stock, or what, for the period, would have been a shotgun butt. Could be original, but no way to know without a letter. They did come fluted at the comb. It's possible that the stock wasnt cut for the pad, and an original plate may go on it easily.

Too bad we can't see the bottom of the barrel at the muzzle end, so it could be seen if the magazine had been longer at any time. The hole for the cap screw would be in evidence, and the front band screw slot. Taking the fore end off would show the barrel production date. May be original to the receiver, maybe not, but the markings look right for the period.

The lack of sling (saddle) ring doesnt bother me. If faced with a choice of with or without, I'd take a gun that never had one in a second, and never look back.

Would be a good shooter in any event, but a bit high priced without provenance or letter. It's still way more gun that has been made since 1964. If the bore's decent, I'd take it over a truckload of later guns.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I sorta like and the recoil pad doesn't bother me, as I don't think the stock has been cut, but it's still too much money, for what it is, I would think.

Thanks, for the replys.
NRA Life Member, Patron
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well he said he hoped it didn't sell, so I bet he's really happy now! :wink:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/