Unique in the 45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Unique in the 45 Colt

Post by Otto »

I ran across a post on another site last night, where a guy claimed to have been using 4.5 grains of Unique with a 255gr LSWC for years. He said he could hit soda cans all day long at 100 yards with this load. Four and one-half grains sounds like a really light load to me. Is there anybody out there that can comment on this?

Revolver, BTW
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Unique in the 45 Colt

Post by J Miller »

Otto wrote:I ran across a post on another site last night, where a guy claimed to have been using 4.5 grains of Unique with a 255gr LSWC for years. He said he could hit soda cans all day long at 100 yards with this load. Four and one-half grains sounds like a really light load to me. Is there anybody out there that can comment on this?

Revolver, BTW
Yeah, I can comment on it. That load would be doing good to get the bullet out of the barrel, let alone make it to 100 yds accurately. It is a dangerously light load that I would not fire in any of my guns.

Alliant used to call for 5.5 grs of Unique and a 250gr bullet for their cowboy loads. I can tell you that's a pretty whimpy load too.

In one of A-jacks .45 Cowboy cases it might be OK, but not in a standard .45 Colt case.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

When I used to compete in SASS my load was 7.8 grs. Unique under a 255 grain flatnosed bullet. That's where my two SAA's shot closed to the same grouping. Shooting a 45 Colt in SASS you're pretty much not going to be winning the championships, IMO. But, I wanted to be some what authentic in the caliber I was shooting out my Colts. 4.5 grs. would seem way to low. I'd be afraid of a detonation with that small amount of powder. Won't shoot it in my revolvers.
Old Law Dawg
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Sounds like an Internet Commando to me.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have used 5.4gr with a .454 roundball in my trapper this is so slow that the stock sights dont go high enough to get it on @ 25yards you can see it leave the rifle and head down range. I find it hard to belive that he would be able to get such a light powder charge to even get the bullet to 100 yards let alone out of the bore.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I JUST LOADED 8 GR FOR FNRP 250 GRAIN BULLET
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Yeah, that is very light. I don't use Unique in Cowboy .45 Special, but that's a pretty fair guess on Joe's part that the load would be OK in the short case as a plinker. In LONG Colt, I never went below 6.5 grains, as it got too erratic.
Certified gun nut
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Max load in their regular guide shows 9.5 grains, I don't recall what the various manuals list as a minimum, but I can't believe it's less than half. Probably around 6.5-7, I know I switched to RedDot as it's cleaner burning & I felt safer in the minimum range with lighter bullets.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

kimwcook wrote:When I used to compete in SASS my load was 7.8 grs. Unique under a 255 grain flatnosed bullet. That's where my two SAA's shot closed to the same grouping. Shooting a 45 Colt in SASS you're pretty much not going to be winning the championships, IMO. But, I wanted to be some what authentic in the caliber I was shooting out my Colts. 4.5 grs. would seem way to low. I'd be afraid of a detonation with that small amount of powder. Won't shoot it in my revolvers.

Sounds like my old sass load - 7 gr. of W231 under a 250 lfn - about 800 fps. Most of the guys I shot with thought it was plenty enough :) In spite of experiencing real recoil, I was able to be quite competitive. This load was good in both of my Vaqueros - especially after I filed the sights and turned the barrels a bit ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

Otto wrote:I ran across a post on another site last night, where a guy claimed to have been using 4.5 grains of Unique with a 255gr LSWC for years. He said he could hit soda cans all day long at 100 yards with this load. Four and one-half grains sounds like a really light load to me. Is there anybody out there that can comment on this?

Revolver, BTW
The lyman bullet 255 grain cast # 454424 calls for 8.0 grains of unique with a max od 10gr in my 1969 lyman reloading manual ,the lyman 49th edition starting load is 6gr of unique with a max load of 8.5gr
William
Levergunner

Post by William »

I'm with everyone esle on this, that's too light of a load.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

That's what I used in my shot loads for .45 Colt.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I can see a load that light in a shotshell; you're not going to expect to get to 100 yds. with that. But a 250-gr. slug is a different story.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

4.5 of Unique would go about 500 fps maybe and in the Coolt case would probably start to show stringing. I have never went that low in the Colt case but have shot that load in a 45 Short and Weak and thought is was too wimpy there. As to 100 yard accuracy, As long as you poositioned the powder for each shot it might group, it sure would not be punishing to shoot but it would drop about 2 feet!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

.........in other words, the official load of SASS! LOL :lol:
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I thought you guys might be interested in Bob Shell's take on Unique (with a hat tip to Dennis D.)
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Thanks Hobie. Great read!
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nice blog entry. I love it when someone verifies my findings and elaborates on them. Unique was the very first pistol powder I used. I used it in the .45 Colt and have never been dissatisfied.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
William
Levergunner

Post by William »

Good information; thanks for posting it.
Hobie wrote:I thought you guys might be interested in Bob Shell's take on Unique (with a hat tip to Dennis D.)
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Hobie wrote:I thought you guys might be interested in Bob Shell's take on Unique (with a hat tip to Dennis D.)
I can't find any info on that 10.4 round. Does anybody know much about it?
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
William
Levergunner

Post by William »

Otto wrote:
I can't find any info on that 10.4 round. Does anybody know much about it?
http://bobshellsblog.blogspot.com/2008/ ... lvers.html