Anybody going to the SHOT show?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Anybody going to the SHOT show?

Post by Rusty »

It's going to be in Orlando this year. Anybody planing on going?

Jan. 15th- 18th.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anybody going to the SHOT show?

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I wish I could go....
but the general public is not allowed...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Yep.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'll see you there!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I was thinking about getting a C&R just so I could get in but I never did it. Too late now I suppose. I don't know how to get in ... otherwise I would probably go.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I was thinking about getting a C&R just so I could get in but I never did it. Too late now I suppose. I don't know how to get in ... otherwise I would probably go.
Just go to the NRA show. Basically the same experience. Where is it gonna be this time around, anyway, I wonder?

RSY
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

I will be there.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

RSY wrote:
Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I was thinking about getting a C&R just so I could get in but I never did it. Too late now I suppose. I don't know how to get in ... otherwise I would probably go.
Just go to the NRA show. Basically the same experience. Where is it gonna be this time around, anyway, I wonder?

RSY
Phoenix in 2009; Charlotte in 2010! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You can go if you have a C&R? I got one this year! :D
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

I will be there. AGAIN!!!! I love this job....
joe in fl
Levergunner

Post by joe in fl »

I will be there one of the days
Joe
NRA Life Member since 1979
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Yes!, a C&R will get you in. That's what I have.

I was planning on going, but decided against attending. Checked the airlines & flying from WA to FL would be an almost an all day trip each way. & considering my medical maladies, I opted out. So I'll just wait for the 2010 La$ Vega$ SHOT Show venue.

I enjoy the SHOT Show. Took me 3 days just to go through the shooting/firearms/reloading booths @ the 2008 SHOT Show. Then I spent another day looking @ the other outdoor related stuff. One year & friend & I decided to go through the whole thing @ Vega$. Took us 5 days & that was just stopping to look briefly @ the things that interested us. I don't think that the NRA show can compare.

If this is your first SHOT Show, you can be overwhelmed @ the number of dealers present & the amount of hand outs. Think before taking literature; otherwise, you'll wind up w/ a stack of material that will get heavy. Ea. night when I returned to the room, I go through the hand outs & make 3 piles: keep; maybe keep, discard. I don't throw anything out until I pack to leave, then one final cull of the materials. I found that is works for me.

Before I go, I make a list of what dealers/booths I want to see first, then I start @ the far end of the firearms sections & work my way towards the door. That way, when I want to leave, I don't have to travel back to the front door & the shuttle buses, I'm already there.

I also keep the SHOT Sow "guide book "which contains the mail & web addresses, tel #, etc. for ea. company attending the show. Handy reference book if it doesn't get legs later on.

I have a good sized bag that I hang from the back of my wheelchair to hold the hand-outs. A fellow attendee found that unless these plastic/canvas "shopping bags" have very wide & comfortable handles, they will cut into your hand after awhile. Quite a few of the attendees utilize collapsible shopping carts, but just make sure the wheels are sturdy & large enough to accommodate some of thick carpeting in some of the booths. Good walking shoes are a must.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

For you guys that are going, could you check on something for me?
Last year Iver Johnson advertised a 1911 style pistol in dedicated .22 long rifle, I have never seen one in the flesh.
Could you check and see if this is a reality, please?
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Ray Newman wrote:I don't think that the NRA show can compare.
Thanks. That makes the rest of us poor schmoes feel really good. You know, the ones whose wallets bankroll the whole thing? :wink:

Scott
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I've been to a few NRA shows. I'm not implying or saying NRA shows are not worth attending.

No comparison in my mind between the two. The SHOT Show is a trade show catering to the shooting, hunting & outdoor trade. Vendors come from all over the world to sell their wares to buyers & FFL holders.

The last SHOT Show I attended was this year -- 2008. It was big: attendance: 58,769; exhibitors: 1,950;exhibit space: 715,000 square feet
Source: http://www.shotshow.org/App/homepage.cf ... D=46195116

While the SHOT Show is not open to the public, C&R FFL holders can attend. Or, if you are really good friends, a good customer, etc., of your local dealer, you could attend using his/her FFL. For several years prior to obtaining a C&R, I attend w/ my local dealer. It was sort of mini-vacation @ La$ Vega$. John & I went to the show. Our spouses went shopping @ the local stores & quilting shops.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I know, I know. I'm just giving you a hard time.

If the public were allowed into SHOT, it would be even more of a zoo than it already is and it's whole purpose basically defeated. I've been invited by my local store to attend with them, but wasn't able to. Someday, maybe.

Scott
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Scott: I understand what you wrote. If you can ever attend, take advantage of the opportunity. The amount of equipment on dispaly is amazing & you can handle 98% of the displays.

But I actually know a few shooting sports enthusiasts who honestly feel "it's not fair" --their exact wordes--that the SHOT Show isn't more for public....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.