Grizzly Attack

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Grizzly Attack

Post by RIHMFIRE »

My boss got a call today from his sister.
His nephew went on a big horn sheep hunt in canada.
Well.... he got his ram and they had everything packed up..
and were just hanging around camp....Then a shot rang
out in the valley....So they grabed there binos to check
out what was going on....While looking through the binos
his nephew was attacked from behind by a fairly big grizzly.
The other guy ran back to the tent to get his rifle.....in the
mean while the bear had bitten his back and his head, tearing
part of his face open....The other guy could not shoot the bear
because of their position, so he shot over the bears head
and scared it off....It took 4+ hours to get a rescue copter in..
and he was in surgery for 4 hours....It seems he will be okay..
In canada you are not allowed to own pistols so he had no back up..
Our hunt club is in bear country...Central Florida, on the west side
of Lake George is infested with bears...and they are big....some are
400+ Pounds....and some of the males are very aggressive...
Needless to say I always have my 44 mag on me....
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

:shock: :shock: I am glad he will be ok good thing he wasnt alone. Prayers for a speedy recovery.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
DavidS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidS »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Wow! And the anti hunting people want us to believe that the bears are cute and nice!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
David S
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Hey it's just ole Smokey! He won't hurt you.

Yeah, right. I'll be honest, only way to be, but if I lived in a country that wouldn't allow me to carry a handgun, I would be active in one of two things. One is to move, second is to change the laws of the nation.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:shock: Ditto Saloon Slug - glad he's going to be okay.
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

RIHMFIRE;
Sorry to hear about the young man. Glad he will be OK; I suppose that is physically. Well, either way, he has my prayers.
Prayers will not hurt your handgun-less country, either. However, without some good, old fashioned intestinal fortitude to also be shown, even prayers will not likely help. I got faith you will do your part.
PPpastordon
pastordon.wordpress.com
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

In Canada we can own handguns. However one cannot carry a handgun in the bush unless you have a a permit available to surveyors and prospectors. From my reading on the Alaska Hunting forums , handguns are pretty useless for grizzlies. The grizzlies I have seen in the bush are way too big to consider shooting with a pistol, I hope you've heard the advice about filing off the front sight of a handgun before considering shooting a grizzly with one :D :wink: When in grizzly country, I keep my 338 win mag rifle close at hand at all times and my head on a swivel. Come on up, we've got lots of grizzlies here in B.C.!(I have a life size mount in the living room of my grizzly, 338mag at 100 yds, plenty close enough for me. I've had several close encounters with Mr.horrible bear on past sheep hunts (got followed off mountain once by a large boar, my pack full of sheep meat and me totally unaware he was there(!)I learned alot that time, real lucky to still be here.Leave your handgun at home and bring a big rifle to any grizzly fights you go to..a 71 with 250gr Barnes bullet would suffice.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Canukian Bear Medicine:

Have a nice day Mr. Bear... :twisted:

When I drove from Eagle AK to Dawson City YT the Mounties at the Border wanted to know if I was transporting firearms... because I was in a Soft Side Jeep and was tent camping. :shock:

They were happy to hear that I had my Mossberg 500 and a pile of slugs. :D

Down at Whitehorse they wouldn't have been so congenial... :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Big bear, don't beleive that stuff that handguns are useless against grizzlies. i know lots of individuals personaly who can tell you different from first hand experience. a rifle is better, but not if you are attacked instantly and are down and cant use the rifle. and a rifle is no good if its leaning against a tree while you are answering natures call. we have people every year who prove that there is no reasonable substitute for a handgun in those circumstances. i could give you a list of personal friends and newspaper clippings that prove the value of the handgun even on grizzlies. and remember it sure beats a knife or stick, doesn't it. most of us take rifles with us, but also wear a handgun, at least a 44 magnum and with proper bullets and marksmanship there are few bears living in this world that it will not handle. and if you run up against one that it wont handle well.tough luck I guess, but you are still no worse off for having worn the handgun. kinda like wearing a seat belt isn't it, may not always save you but this doesn't justify not wearing it.
cable
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

For Central Illinois griz, or squirrels, I'm pretty happy with my 22 revolver. For Central Illinois vermon I'd prefer my 44.