Non Domestic shotgun question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Non Domestic shotgun question

Post by Rusty »

I saw this on another forum about suppressed shotguns and it got my mind to spinning.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BB__xEwuM50

The guy in the video mentions sub sonic shotgun loads. I've never seen them here, but then I guess there's not much need for them. they do seem quieter just by themselves. I was wondering how effective they are?

Also is this Greener GP he's talking about the one that looks like a big Martini action?

Thanks guys.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Non Domestic shotgun question

Post by Pete44ru »

I don't know about the sub-sonic shotshells, Rusty - but the Greener GP is based on the Martini rifle.

Scroll down in this hyperlink to some pics & background:

http://www.martinihenry.com/mycollection.html
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks,

I was hoping Nath or Gamekeeper might chime in about the shells.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I used to have a single shot silenced .410 that was quite useful in built up areas where folks complained about noise from shooting near their houses.

Eley make Hush Power 12GA 32gram cartridges that are sub sonic and I have used them in an unsilenced 12GA. Not a great deal of difference to standard shells without the silencer.

I never really got on with the Hush Power cartridges. I like my usual high velocity shells but the sub sonics were good for teaching beginners as they seemed a bit tamer!

Weird having a shotgun barrel that looks like a Lewis Gun, takes a bit of getting used too!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

When Tom Knapp was here in May, he said that Federal makes a subsonic round for 12ga. He had a "choke" that was really a barrel extension for his Benelli Nova that was about 5 feet long. It was not a suppressor but the sound was just like a suppressed gun. Kind of neat. 8)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I saw in the Cabelas catalog some time ago that they were selling a barrel by Hastings that was something like 4 or 5 feet long. I think they even called to it as a poacher's barrel IIRC.

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Winchester makes the Feather Lite - a 26 gram load of 8's at 990 fps. It is very quiet compared to a "regular" shotgun cartridge and it is deadly on appropriate game and breaks skeet and trap targets with ease.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have used a suppressed 12g single and sub sonic ammo. It is kinder weird at first, kinder like a wuffing sound and alot less recoil and you see what happens at the target more. I noticed how I was actually seeing the shot hit the birds as they flew past.
The slower cartridges kill just as well really.
An ole friend made one from car exhaust and drilling the barrel. Worked ok.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I know I bought some Aguila Mini shells in #4 Buck, but I'm not sure about the velocity. They shoot like a powder puff at least to the shoulder. I'll try to check their website for velocities, there's nothing on the box. some say these also won't cycle through some actions but they go through my 870 just fine.

Rustolium
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rustolium »

Rusty wrote:I know I bought some Aguila Mini shells in #4 Buck, but I'm not sure about the velocity. They shoot like a powder puff at least to the shoulder. I'll try to check their website for velocities, there's nothing on the box. some say these also won't cycle through some actions but they go through my 870 just fine.
I've shot the mini slugs, hardly any recoil. I never tried cycling them through my Mossy though. They are quite fun for messin around :D