Why The Hate For Saddle Rings??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Why The Hate For Saddle Rings??

Post by kimwcook »

My thought is that if it is on the carbine it'll stay there. I've dumped a canoe before and lost a couple of things. That ring is a natural place to latch it down to the canoe so I don't lose it. My brother and I dumped a small dinghy in southwestern Alaska trying to get off the beach and back to the boat. Luckily, I had my '94 w/ saddle ring tied down or I'd of been searching in some awfully cold water looking for it.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I finally found the pics of the 'quick-detach saddle ring' -

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Malamute wrote:Shawn is correct, the ring was intended for cavalry use with a sling across the shoulder.

Which was my point, in all the years I've read and looked at old pictures about guns and western history, I haven't ever seen any account of civilian use of the sling ring, which later came to be called a saddle ring. I have no issue with those that like the cavalry sling idea, I just prefer regular rifle slings. I take the sling (saddle) rings off, I don't like the clinking and scratching of the receiver. No hate, just no use for them. It was a holdover from Winchester wanting to interest the military in their lever guns, which never really happened. They never really had any civilian use, notwithstanding the old wives tale about people hanging the gun over the saddle horn with a loop of leather. That habit hasn't ever turned up in any historical account or picture that I'm aware of.
Historical Schmestorical. I LIKE carrying mine that way. It is quick, handy, won't slip off your shoulder and keeps the muzzle pointed down. Plus it's cheaper than a 3-point "tacticool" sling.

Now there you go, the "original single point sling" attachment.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

If it works for you, great. :)

It'd get in the way of the everyday handgun for me, bang around loosely when on foot, be even more awkward if slung on the other side.
Denis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah, what the hay, I am going to leave it on for now.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

DPris wrote:If it works for you, great. :)

It'd get in the way of the everyday handgun for me, bang around loosely when on foot, be even more awkward if slung on the other side.
Denis
All it takes is practice... and it makes "transitioning" about 1000X easier...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote:Ah, what the hay, I am going to leave it on for now.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Still be grossly in the way, for me, and I don't care about transitioning from a levergun to a handgun. :)
Denis
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

It was in the way of the receiver peep sight, so it had to go.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

crs wrote:It was in the way of the receiver peep sight, so it had to go.
In the way of the peep sights? I got two Win 94s with rings and peep sights and they didn't get in the way.
What model rifle/sight were you working with?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

In my case, the '27 carbine had a Lyman 56 on it, and required the ring be removed, and the '21 carbine had a lyman 21 or 38 on it and the ring was removed. May have been possible in this case to make the sight work without it, but it was probably just much simpler to remove it.

Can tie the gun down with a sling or thru the lever if in a boat I guess.

You can see the hole for the ring partially obscured by the sight.

Last edited by Malamute on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Malamute wrote:Can tie the gun down with a sling or thru the lever if in a boat I guess.
Nope. Never would work.

Gotta use a 'boat-ring' if you're in a boat, just like you gotta use a 'saddle-ring' ifn you're in a saddle.

-

And if you're bein' tactical. . . you have to use a 'tactical-ring'. . . :wink:

JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

When I bought my Sharps carbine I had them add a ring to it. Afew years back there was a post on this forum? maybe? about a fella that made a sling for the saddle ring. I bought one and still use it with my Winny 94. It keeps the rifle out of the way, but is quick to use.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Malamute,

Yes in that case I can see the interference. You've got an early 1894 with the large stud ring and the Lyman 56 hangs down lower than the 66s and Williams I'm using.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Mike D. wrote:I fail to understand the mis-thinking and confusion concerning sling rings. They really do not make excessive noise and are not a negative when carried in the field. This is sort of like an internet "fact" where one person swears that it's a problem and others automatically swear that it's so. Sure, if you swing the gun around like a club it's gonna make some tiny "clinks", but if carried normally the ring is virtually soundless. :|

I agree. I really like Saddle Ring Carbines and look for them when I can. Also have a couple old ones and the saddle ring made a nice little "wear" mark on the receiver......gives it character. :wink:
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

COSteve wrote:I've noticed that many here don't like saddle rings on a carbine. I'm wondering why. I for one like them. What say you who don't like them? What is it that you don't like about them?
I prefer not to have them, they scratch the finish over time.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

buckeyeshooter wrote:
COSteve wrote:I've noticed that many here don't like saddle rings on a carbine. I'm wondering why. I for one like them. What say you who don't like them? What is it that you don't like about them?
So does normal use. :wink:

joe
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

I don't know.

This is the only one I got. I don't use it, but it looks cool. Certianally its not in the way of anything. Doesnt make any noises, it takes some efort to move it, not like it flops around or anything. Just kinda adds caracter, and is quite easilly removed for the offended crowd. How can you hate it.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

J Miller wrote:
buckeyeshooter wrote:

joe
Normal use wont leave a round bare spot on the side of your receiver! :)
Never been a carbine fan, nor a saddlering fan personally. I've always been a fan of very long barreled rifles. An extra length barrel makes me weak in the knees! Sold every carbine I had in my collection the last couple years. Just never used them, or even took them out to look at.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hmmm... 4 pages of defensive rhetoric for an appendage that serves no real, universal purpose. :twisted: Sure sounds like some folks are over-compensating by attacking those with a differing opinion. :P :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

....Or, cabin fever can happen in summer too. :D
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Redman2006
Levergunner

Post by Redman2006 »

I have an 1886 with a ring. I like the look, but the thing tinks over when I shift hands. I can see it doing exactly that at the wrong time.

I have laced it with leather to keep it quiet, but what I would really like to find is a sling designed for carrying a rifle like this as originally planned...in leather or maybe canvas. I have considered just replacing the screw all together.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I made a plug screw for mine from a metric allen set screw.

Dixie Gun works has reproduction carbine slings as were used in the Civil War and Indian War period, but the snaps they used were large steel affairs, and would likely scratch and bang up your gun. Guess you could just get the sling and arrange your own snap. The sling and snap are sold separately.

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I LOVE the saddle ring on my 357 mag 94AE Trapper, it's where I attach my custom Junior Doughty saddle ring sling which works great!

Now the saddle ring on my Taurus 22LR 62LAR levergun with a 23" barrel seemed silly so I installed a take-down screw from a 62 pump 22. On a carbine it makes sense, on a 23" rifle not so much. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

marlinman93 wrote:
J Miller wrote:
buckeyeshooter wrote:

joe
Normal use wont leave a round bare spot on the side of your receiver! :)
Never been a carbine fan, nor a saddlering fan personally. I've always been a fan of very long barreled rifles. An extra length barrel makes me weak in the knees! Sold every carbine I had in my collection the last couple years. Just never used them, or even took them out to look at.
thank you MM93! could not agree more!