Model 1819 Hall Breach-loading Flintlock Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Model 1819 Hall Breach-loading Flintlock Rifle

Post by Old No7 »

This one isn't mine, but I'll have to admit that it's pretty cool...

I was thinking some of you may want to see it -- after it, it has a lever to unlock it, right below the frizzen.

This is a Model 1819 Hall Breach-loading Flintlock Rifle, dated 1839 on the receiver.
Hall Rifle 01 (Small).jpg

Here's a close-up of the open breach block -- which tilts open to the front, as opposed to my Trapdoor that followed 50+ years later that swings open at the rear:
Hall Rifle 02 (Small).jpg

My twin just bought that one, which is complete and not missing any parts, like the one we had looked at together at the local Cabela's months ago. (They wanted well over $3k for that one -- if I remember right -- and it probably would be tough to acquire or make the needed parts too.) My brother says he got a "great deal" on this one, but would not tell me "how much". It's not my cup of tea, but I do find it interesting.

He also has a percussion Hall that had beans for supper & breakfast -- as it leaks a LOT OF GAS!! :shock:

We'll see how his one shoots compared to the other, but for sure I'll let him take the first few shots -- with the wearing of safety glasses being mandatory too. For those who don't about these unique rifles, here's some background info:

The M1819 Hall rifle was a single-shot breech-loading rifle (also considered something of a hybrid breech and muzzle-loading design) designed by John Hancock Hall, patented on May 21, 1811, and adopted by the U.S. Army in 1819. It was preceded by the Harpers Ferry Model 1803. It used a pivoting chamber breech design and was made with either flintlock or percussion cap ignition systems. The main years of production were from the 1820s to the 1830s at the Harpers Ferry Arsenal. This was the first breech-loading rifle to be adopted in large numbers by any nation's army, but not the first breech-loading military rifle – the Ferguson rifle was used briefly by the British Army in the American Revolutionary War. Breech-loading rifles remained overshadowed by common muskets and muzzleloading rifles (more often rifle-muskets) so prevalent in the early 19th century. The early flintlocks were mostly converted to percussion ignition.

U.S. Army inspectors conducted trials by having a 38-man infantry company fire at a 100 yards target for 10 minutes at their own speed:
Weapons--------------------------------Rounds fired-------Targets hit-----------Percentage Hits
Hall Rifles-----------------------------------1,198---------------430-----------------------36%
Army Mz-Ld Smoothbore Muskets----------845---------------208-----------------------25%
Muzzle-loading Rifles------------------------494---------------164-----------------------33%

The original flintlock model had a 32.5-inch barrel rifled with 16 "clockwise" (right-hand) grooves making a turn in 96 inches. The muzzle was reamed to a depth of 1.5 inches, creating the illusion of a smoothbore when the user looked down the muzzle of the firearm. Overall length was 52.5 inches, and weight without bayonet was 10.25 pounds. The rifle fired a .525 ball weighing 220 grains (one-half ounce), using a 100-grain black powder charge and 10 grains of fine powder primer (flintlock versions only).

Here's a view of the breach block when it's removed from the rifle (trigger at left, locking lever at right):
Hall Rifle 03 (Small).jpg

And here's a view of the front of the breach block so you can see the powder chamber:
(The block fits so tight, you have to force it to close on a piece of paper that is 0.004" thick.)
Hall Rifle 04 (Small).jpg

I think the bore is in remarkable condition for its age:
Hall Rifle 05 (Small).jpg

I collect a few leverguns and top-break revolvers, while my twin tends to collect various blackpowder rifles, including several French & Indian War era pieces with 30" to 40" smoothbore barrels, plus a couple of vintage Matchlocks -- and now he has two Hall Rifles, flint and percussion.

Gee, I can't wait to see what he gets next... :wink:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Model 1819 Hall Breach-loading Flintlock Rifle

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I read somewhere that the Halls breech block could be carried loaded and used as a handgun if necessary. I sure wouldn't like to try it though... :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is very cool! Thanks for posting this!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

The Furgeson Rifle appears sane compared the Alexander Forsyth "scent bottle lock" priming system. And I do believe at one time a reproduction Ferguson was available.

As for the Forsyth, see: http://americansocietyofarmscollectors. ... edford.pdf
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

How is it sighted D?
I can make out how one sights past the lock.....

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool rifles 8)
Here`s a under hammer percussion breech loader I built a few years ago It`s 50 cal.

Last edited by Pitchy on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow, good work Lenn! That is really neat. Proves a feller with ingenuity can do about anything.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks buddy, this is what I pattered it from.

http://underhammers.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... ammer.html
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sorry No7 wasn`t trying to high jack your thread.
Thought it kinda fit in.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

No problem Pitchy -- thanks -- as I like to see your creations! :!:

My twin fired 15 rounds with the Hall today, and he said the gas leakage was slight -- he was stoked it shot so well!

And he attracted quite a few onlookers at the range too.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Halls carry the sights set off center to the left of the hammer.
We call our Flinter Hall made in 1823 "Vesuvias". When you touch off a Hall flinter the "touch hole" runs near vertical. The resulting ignition blows straight up.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Ray Newman wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:25 pm The Furgeson Rifle appears sane compared the Alexander Forsyth "scent bottle lock" priming system. And I do believe at one time a reproduction Ferguson was available.

As for the Forsyth, see: http://americansocietyofarmscollectors. ... edford.pdf
yes narragansett arms made them .... i have one .... neat piece
cable
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Old No7 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:17 pm No problem Pitchy -- thanks -- as I like to see your creations! :!:

My twin fired 15 rounds with the Hall today, and he said the gas leakage was slight -- he was stoked it shot so well!

And he attracted quite a few onlookers at the range too.

Old No7
Grats on the successful shoot. 8)
That thing I made can reload pretty fast and is pretty accurate for a smooth bore, I only load her with 30 grains of FFF.
Used to have a vid shooting it on PB but that`s history.
Maybe someday I can shoot it again.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.