Who says you can't have accuracy AND power...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Who says you can't have accuracy AND power...?

Post by AJMD429 »

1.3 MOA (50 ft or so at 44,000 yards) or so with lots of power...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stq3hnVq6jU

I can't imagine being near the breech of one of these guns when fired. :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who says you can't have accuracy AND power...?

Post by GunnyMack »

6 bags at 110lbs each, that's 660lbs of powder OR 4,620,000 grains!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Can you imagine the concussion that must have reverberated throughout those torrents when all three guns went off...????

I didn't see a lot of 'acoustic foam'... :lol: ....just tons and tons of smooth reflective metal there to vibrate, shake, and echo.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah those gunners were the poster boys for "huh- what'da say?"
I heard about a guy that was on deck when the guns were firing and if memory serves his innards were turned to jello... don't know if true or not .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Our Air Force is using obsolete B 52s on front line duty. I think it's time to recall the battle ships back to duty. At least then we could say we have a real Navy, not a fleet of hi-tec yachts.

Oh and if the New Jersey is decommissioned in a museum, why is there a rotating antenna on top of the conning tower? Something is still active on her.
JMNSHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

As an old M110(A2) 8" SP Howitzer Red Leg, we thought nothing of dropping 200lbs of HE into the bed of a pickup on the impact area from 10+klicks... as a ranging shot. The other 12 rounds following got to bracket the driver.

Full charge gave us 20mi... and nuke capabilities.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Ah the old 110. I was with the USMC M53 155mm self propelled gun (in '64) and M55 8" self propelled howitzer (in '67); '65-67 was with a 105 battery in RVN. And from what I was told, the 14 Marine Regt. (Reserves) still had 8" towed back then!

Interesting You Tube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkbQ-qYzrY0 (Billy Mitchel versus the USN)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epclkzKJvfc (Navy gun factory 1952)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcqulXiWbzc (USN gunfire and Okinawa)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WMqGYBOn9A (USN gunfire and Iwo Jima)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXJIE50jxdw (USN 8"/55 rapid fire gun)
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The Big Guns of the Iowa class battle-wagons were directed by analog (crank & lever) computers, and had to be fired while the ship was underway.. Troops on the ground often called for 15-meter fire correction, to be delivered as far as 23 miles from the ship. They got it, often as not...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

One of my ex-coworkers had been a red-leg on an 'Atomic Annie' crew...He didn't talk about it much as he said it was all top secret and he wasn't sure what was still classified. From what he did mention they moved it around more than they fired the thing!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

J Miller wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:14 am Our Air Force is using obsolete B 52s on front line duty. I think it's time to recall the battle ships back to duty. At least then we could say we have a real Navy, not a fleet of hi-tec yachts.

Oh and if the New Jersey is decommissioned in a museum, why is there a rotating antenna on top of the conning tower? Something is still active on her.
JMNSHO

Joe
Joe,

The B-52 is not obsolete. To be obsolete it would need to have a successor that can do it's jobs as well or preferably better. The B-52 has performed every task given it, for high altitude strategic bombing to low level cruise missile launching to even low or high level close air support. It can launch all of the current and near future "smart" weapons.

The new B-1's (we really should have built the B-70 instead) and even the B-2's can't do what the B-52 does. Those newer bombers are limited in payload capacity among other things. While they may be faster or stealthier, once control of the enemy airspace is obtained nothing can punish the enemy like a full load of good old fashioned dumb iron bombs.

I will freely admit that my two favorite fighters, P-40 and F-4, are obsolete. And even the C-141 and C-5 (but not the C-130) have been well replaced by the C-17. But when it comes to putting massive amounts of ordinance on target nothing in our arsenal comes even close t the B-52.

This from an old TAC troop who always made fun of SAC and MAC types.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad