30-40 Krag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

30-40 Krag

Post by RustyJr »

Friend of mine has a rifle in 30-40 Krag and is looking for some ammo for it. Everything I have turned up is either very expensive or out of stock. I told him he may have to start reloading to feed the ole girl but thought I would see if anyone on here knows of a source for affordable 30-40 Krag ammo.

Thanks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 30-40 Krag

Post by JReed »

I haven't seen 30-40 and affordable used in the same sentence in awhile. I think the only way to not go broke with that one is to reload. If I remember right you can make brass from 303 Brit, the necks will be a little short but they will function.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

Have seen 30-40KRAG ammunition and new brass at Cabelas in the recent past.

And so it goes...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Terry Murbach wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:23 pm Have seen 30-40KRAG ammunition and new brass at Cabelas in the recent past.

And so it goes...
Yep. Cabelas, Bass Pro. I've even seen it at Wal-Mart in Maine.

Remington is usually what I see.

https://www.venturamunitions.com/ventur ... 20-rounds/
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I recently ordered some brass and 220 grn Hornady's from Grafs.com. First site I'd found with some in stock. Our local Cabela's didn't have any in stock.
Along with a hand press and a set of dies your friend would be ahead factory ammunition prices pretty quickly I'd expect.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I've seen HSM 30-40 ammor for arond $25.00 a box, but that's about the cheapest I've seen. The last I bought was Remington, but I think it was $30 something a box.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Look on ammoseek.com and see....?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

PCI or Remington are all I've encountered for factory ammunition.....I have reloading dies and bullets plus everything else for .30-40 Krag..yet always find another box of factory ammo to shoot and accumulate more brass. Sooner or later will have to load the Krag myself....
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

RustyJR. I have 4 boxes of Remington 180 gr. that I have bought at Wal Mart through the last several years. Isure enjoy the rifle it is a really great shooter. Watch the ads for some.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

You can reload for about $12/box or buy factory at $36/box. After loading about 5 boxes worth, a basic Lee reloading set-up will have paid for itself and then pay dividends for decades afterwards.