Which BLACK POWDER cartridge for deer???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Skychief
Levergunner

Which BLACK POWDER cartridge for deer???

Post by Skychief »

Indiana has legalized basically any cartridge generally deemed suitable for deer hunting.

I'm interested in using rifles chambered for rounds originally loaded with black powder, 32/40, 38/55, 45/70, etc, etc....

I will use either a lever gun or a single shot (maybe both! :D ).

Most shots will be taken 0-100 yards. Would appreciate enough horsepower to take whitetail cleanly out to 150 yards should the need arise though.

That said, which round would you suggest would be best?

Thanks kindly for your time and thoughts, Skychief
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Re: Which BLACK POWDER cartridge for deer???

Post by Bullard4075 »

Being a large bore guy I would start consideration at the 38-55 with the 40-65 closer to ideal. But that's just me. Having used the 38-55 just once some 35-40 years ago with success I can tell you from experience the 40-65 (with a good LBT WFN cast bullet) is an impressive hammer without the recoil of the 45-70. I am also a huge 45-70 fan.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Baja_Traveler
Levergunner

Post by Baja_Traveler »

I shoot all three mentioned calibers, and have loaded and shot all three using black powder. Of the three mentioned, I'd use my 38-55 for whitetail - with the awesome 255 grain Big Lube bullet specifically designed to carry the lube required to keep black powder fouling under control. http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx ... 7e0ec19a65
I used this combination with 48 grains Swiss 1 1/2 and a Walters fiber wad to shoot cowboy silhouette for over a year when I was on my "Shoot everything using Holy Black" kick. Never failed to drop a 200 yard ram. Build a decent drop tube from brass tubing, or use a large diameter arrow shaft like I did, and get a compression die.

My 45-70 is fun to shoot, but it would be a bit much for whitetail - 40-65 would be a good compromise (had one in a Sharps) but finding a rifle to hunt with may be a challenge...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

.38-55 - ( +3)

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

38/55 sure drops big caribou easily! would be a great choice.
cable
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

It would be pretty hard to argue against the 30-30 if legal. The morons running the lawoffice in Ohio allow me to use my 50 alaskan and 50-110 winchester deer hunting but the 30-30 and 35 remington are illegal.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

The 30-30 wouldn't be an original black powder load. I'd probably go with the 38-55 like the folks above.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I use the .44/40 and black powder on red deer, (which are about caribou or elk sized.)
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I mostly use 45-70 or 45-90 (caliber of original 86 I own) to take deer with black powder but I am a huge fan of the 44-40 too which I load almost exclusively with ffg. Pay attention to advice and use a drop tube. It makes a difference as does lube. At least try some SPG to be sure what your combo will do with proper lube. It is not really expensive and a little bit lubes a lot of bullets.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've taken mule deer with all 3 calibers you're looking at. All did great on deer sized game, but I think the .45-70 is not necessary. It kills them, but really don't need that much knock down power.
The .32-40 and .38-55 are impressive, even with my mild cast bullet loads at 1250-1350 fps. I took my best mule deer ever with a Ballard rifle in .38-55 at around 140 yds., and he dropped with one shot through the shoulder.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Whichever one you choose, we do expect pictures. Targets and the gun. Dead deer hopefully.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The 303 British started out as a BP cartridges. Though you'd probably still get a ticket and have to fight that one later. :lol:

I had a .40-65 in a heavy barreled rolling block and really liked the round. I'd like to have something more handy in that cartridge.
Slow is just slow.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Pete44ru wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:10 pm .

.38-55 - ( +3)

+ 4, 5 & 6 :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd go with the 38-55 (or 375).

This, from someone who's determined to use his levergun in 500 S&W this coming season... :lol:

(Manufacturer photo from http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/1/ ... -products/)

The only reason I'm using it is that it is a beautiful gun based on the 1886-action, awesome big-bore cartridge, and something different than the usual "240-250 grain bullet at 1200-1800 fps" I've used from my Marlin 1894, 50 Cal saboted muzzleloader, Super Blackhawk revolver, and saboted pump 12 gauge.

I figure a 500 grain 50 cal bullet at a modest 1,000-1,200 fps will be somewhat like the ballistics of yesteryear's 50 cal muzzleloaders, in a levergun, without all the fuss and muss of that icky hygroscopic corrosive stuff you guys like so much... :wink:
Indiana has legalized basically any cartridge generally deemed suitable for deer hunting.
Even though I'm a very 'pro-gun' 'libertarian' (so don't like 'gun laws'), I really think what cartridges that are permitted (at least on 'public land') should be limited to something like the 'pistol-cartridge rifles' we had a few years ago. I've seen fools using 15" Encores in 7mm Rem Mag, who will likely miss their target, shooting a bullet with a ballistic coefficient over 0.5, that was "legal" even before the new law, whereas the stubby 45-70 with its safe 'rainbow-trajectory' was deemed "too powerful". Guess which bullet is going to travel 2 miles with lethal energy to humans if it misses its target...?

I think Indiana made a mistake allowing so many high-ballistic-coefficient cartridges to be 'deer-legal', but the general electorate only knows enough about 'guns' to understand the latest Hollywood movie, so I guess it figures... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Personally I prefer to go big or stay home. So I'd say 45-70. It's really the most versatile of the bunch. Loaded down it's good for deer sized critters, loaded up elephants, hippos, rhinos and such.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:50 pmI think Indiana made a mistake allowing so many high-ballistic-coefficient cartridges...
I share your concerns, but time will tell. However, I'd say muzzle fps, not BC, would be the figure of merit.

Here in Illinois, we can't use any cartridge rifle.