Need help/ideas from a Subaru crank...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Need help/ideas from a Subaru crank...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've got this weird glitch in my 2001 Outback...

When hot (not overheated) if I shut the engine off it will not start again until it cools to some as of yet unknown and or arbitrary temp.

(We ended up involuntarily parked in Mitchell SD for 2hrs waiting for it to want to start again...)

The battery is good, all accessories power up, the fuel pump activates properly when the key is turned to "on", but the solenoid won't click over - at all - until it does :roll: and the engine starts fine.

I've got an OBD reader and it's not throwing any codes except for the stuffy Cat - which shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Any ideas before I start throwing money at swapping parts?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need help/ideas from a Subaru crank...

Post by Pitchy »

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Had the same symptoms Buy a QUALITY BATTERY.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I was thinking vapor lock but reading about the fuel temp switch I would change it, hope it ain't a pricey gizmo.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Heat in a starter or solenoid or wiring to the starter will cause increased resistance for the current to flow through that circuit.
1. Make sure the wires at the solenoid and starter have good clean connections.
2 It is possible that you may have just a sticking solenoid when hot.
3. The windings inside the starter may be braking down.
4. Damaged or missing starter heat shield if originally fitted.
You can check the draw from the battery when trying to start hot, or have a garage check it for you

Check no1 first. If no luck replace starter and solenoid, and make sure any required heat shields are fitted.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

ps. If you can get to the solenoid when hot, try putting power directly from the battery terminal to the solenoid. if it starts then the motor is ok, and the problem is with the solenoid, or wiring to the solenoid.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

How many miles on that starter?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

What Flatnose said. My 73 F250 had owner-installed headers that were not shielded and would fry the starter with regularity. I'd go thru a starter about once a year with that beast. (one of the nicest trucks I owned, tho)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

It`s still rolling they just left our place, I`m thinking starter too, it`s cool and raining so maybe that kept it cooled down.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Buddy of mine recently had an issue with his Chevy pickup. Being a retired mechanic he figured it was the fuel pump, dropped the tank and replaced it. Truck was ok for a week or so then one morning he went to leave and it wouldn't start. About that time I stopped by to BS seeing the hood up. I asked what was going on, he explained it. I popped the fuse cover box open, found the fuel injector relay, (looked at all the other relays which were the same), swapped out the FI. With washer motor and it started. Swapped them back and truck didn't start. Then it started and you could feel the heat build inside the relay.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Great advice all. We'll test those theories at my in-law's place.

I'm hoping to have a good Hi/Low temp reading from the OBD the next time it fails then starts working again.

As far as the age of the starter.? 156k.

The battery is new last winter and tested ok under load and disconnected.

It doesn't seem to be a low voltage from the battery issue because it won't Jump either (tried with both cables and another vehicle and with a portable jump battery).

My money's on either the solenoid or the fuel temp sensor (Though i would think a sensor should throw a Code to the OBD...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Old Ironsights wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:27 pm
As far as the age of the starter.? 156k.

My money's on either the solenoid or the fuel temp sensor (Though i would think a sensor should throw a Code to the OBD...)
156k? There is your problem. That Subaru is not broken in yet!

Solenoid don't cost much. Try it 1st.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

When you say it will not start when hot do you mean it will not crank over?
If so, do this test when hot and will not crank https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIgD4FvguYE
If you still have voltage at the terminals, ie more than 12 volts, then the starter or solenoid is bad. Don't bother just replacing the solenoid or rebuilding it, replace the whole unit.
If you travel on average 10 mile trips, that starter has 15,000 cycles on it and it is probably pretty much done.
I just noticed something about stuffy cat in your post. If your cats are partially blocked, that will cause higher underhood temps, and can lead to increased starter resistance problems that you appear to have. It can lead to other problems as well, such as high fuel temp, head gaskets etc, etc, etc.
Dont confuse yourself with the obd tests for the moment. Keep it simple.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

yep, sounds like a weak starter not wanna work when it gets hot. One trick u can try, is that the starter might be on a weak spot in the windings after you cut it off. Had a chevy truck that did it. Had someone hold key in start position and tapped starter housing with hammer and it would start. :o
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I've changed 2 Subaru starers, far and away the easiest starters I've ever changed on anything. Though I don't know where they are now days, or on an '01 for that matter.
Slow is just slow.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

flatnose wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:39 am When you say it will not start when hot do you mean it will not crank over?
I don't even hear the solenoid click, much less the starter turn.
flatnose wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:39 am I just noticed something about stuffy cat in your post. If your cats are partially blocked, that will cause higher underhood temps, and can lead to increased starter resistance problems that you appear to have. It can lead to other problems as well, such as high fuel temp, head gaskets etc, etc, etc. ....
Replacing the Cat costs more than the best street price (much less trade) of the whole car WITH a good cat.

Fortunately, we don't emissions test, so it's not mandatory. Is there a way to remove it but still ensure proper back pressure?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

You need to get the motor hot so it will not start. If you disconnect the small wire to the starter, there should be voltage there when you turn the ignition key, test the terminal with a voltmeter or test light. If there is no voltage there, the problem is most likely not your starter motor of solenoid. See the video.

Removing the cats has no detrimental effect. In properly functioning cats, there should be very little if any back pressure. A test for a blocked cat is to measure the temperature difference before and after the cat using a infrared heat gun. If the exhaust pipe is hotter before the cat than behind the cat, there is a blockage. Cats can be removed and replaced with a test pipe, but they can also run a couple of hundred bucks.
Although you dont smog test in your area, it is still illegal to tamper/remove any smog devices that came with the vehicle, as there are federal requirements as well as the state requirements. Having said that, people do remove the cats.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

First thing to check is the ground where the cable is attached to frame or engine. Remove it and wire brush both areas. They can look tight and feel fine but when hot a little film of corrosion can separate the connection. Same at battery and sometimes a cable will be corroded internally. Look for slight bulges in the cables.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Electrical problems can be hard to trouble shoot (25 years as an Auto Electrician at LA DWP). When an electrical component heats up, things can expand and poor connections can open. Solenoids are known for this (also ignition coils, but modern auto engines have one coil per cylinder). If the engine doesn't crank when hot, I'd trouble shoot the starting circuit starting with the battery, battery connections, starter relay, starter solenoid and starter itself. Follow the power flow from the source (battery), and the control circuit from the ignition switch...

Another often missed item is the auto trans neutral switch.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Most of the stuff has been mentioned. But, check and see if there is supposed to be a heat shield installed between the engine and starter that is missing. Sometimes they are a bear to reinstall when changing a starter and folks or even shops will just leave them off.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad