SUV + Propane Tank + Gas Grill "On" + Flame Equals.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

SUV + Propane Tank + Gas Grill "On" + Flame Equals.....

Post by Old No7 »

An SUV + Propane Tank + Gas Grill "On" + Flame Equals.....

THIS! :shock:

SUV-Grill.jpg

The original story I read said a cigarette was lit and kaboom!

"A couple transporting a barbecue grill was injured Sunday after their rental SUV exploded, Orlando police said."

But another story I just saw also mentioned:

"The couple... had a barbecue grill in the back of their red Kia Sorento, Orlando Police Lt. Lane said.

The grill was turned on and the propane tank was open and connected, Lane said.

Police said the wife went to light up a cigarette and the SUV exploded."

Given those conditions... Duh!!! :!:

Oh, and as a follow up...

"Both people inside the SUV were burned but police said their injuries were not life threatening."

And one occupant "Had an active warrant for his arrest on a fleeing and eluding charge, according to police".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: SUV + Propane Tank + Gas Grill "On" + Flame Equals.....

Post by 2ndovc »

New candidate for the Darwin Awards!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Wouldn't necessarily matter if the grill was turned on or not. If the tank valve was open, gas can get out. The valves on a home grill do not seal well.

That is one reason why it is illegal to transport a LPG tank inside an enclosed compartment of a vehicle and why it's illegal to use one indoors.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Them things will Kia ya....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

As Ron White says, ya can't fix stupid!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:31 pm As Ron White says, ya can't fix stupid!
Unless you numb it with a 2x4!
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

vancelw wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:27 am Wouldn't necessarily matter if the grill was turned on or not. If the tank valve was open, gas can get out. The valves on a home grill do not seal well.

That is one reason why it is illegal to transport a LPG tank inside an enclosed compartment of a vehicle and why it's illegal to use one indoors.
Is is not illegal to transport 20 lb. LP tanks in your trunk.........IT'S JUST STUPID! PEOPLE DON'T CARE...
We fill propane tanks everyday where I work people put them on there front seat,on the floor up front,in the trunk,,,,ect

In the United States, the regulations concerning transportation of propane cylinders for home use are elucidated in NFPA 58, section 9.3.2. According to these regulations:

You must transport propane cylinders upright. They cannot be laying on their sides. You must secure the cylinders in place -- usually with bungee cords -- to prevent them from falling over.
Propane cylinders must be as far from the driver as possible and must be isolated from the engine and exhaust system, which means putting them in the trunk if you're driving a conventional automobile. If you're driving a pick-up, the cylinders can be in the bed of the truck, and they can be transported in the same enclosure as the driver of a box truck or single-compartment van.
The total weight of the cylinders, including the propane they contain, cannot exceed 108 pounds. Since a filled appliance cylinder typically weighs 20 pounds, this requirement imposes a limit of five cylinders.
If the cylinders have safety caps to cover the valve opening, those caps must be in place. Only older cylinders lack these caps.
You can only transport propane in leak-proof containers --if you have an older cylinder you're not sure about, don't use it.
You must place the cylinders on a flat surface, such as the floor of the car, a truck bed or the bottom of the trunk.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Propane stinks bad. I can't believe the driver didn't notice it. :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

My dad let the neighbors sister borrow our trailer. She had it for a couple weeks at a local park near Niagara Falls with her kids. In the last week she went inside to start to cook. She turned on the burner and did not have a match ready. Apparently she looked for a match and upon her return to the stove, the cigarette in her hand set off the propane that had also accumulated on the floor. Everything from the floor to the height of her knees was darkened. The insulation around the fridge was slightly melted as well. It became a work project for my dad and I to get the trailer back in shape. She was fine other than a ear ache and not having to shave her legs for awhile!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Mossyoak1957 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:22 pm
vancelw wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:27 am Wouldn't necessarily matter if the grill was turned on or not. If the tank valve was open, gas can get out. The valves on a home grill do not seal well.

Is is not illegal to transport 20 lb. LP tanks in your trunk.........IT'S JUST STUPID! PEOPLE DON'T CARE...
We fill propane tanks everyday where I work people put them on there front seat,on the floor up front,in the trunk,,,,ect

In the United States, the regulations concerning transportation of propane cylinders for home use are elucidated in NFPA 58, section 9.3.2. According to these regulations:

You must transport propane cylinders upright. They cannot be laying on their sides. You must secure the cylinders in place -- usually with bungee cords -- to prevent them from falling over.
Propane cylinders must be as far from the driver as possible and must be isolated from the engine and exhaust system, which means putting them in the trunk if you're driving a conventional automobile. If you're driving a pick-up, the cylinders can be in the bed of the truck, and they can be transported in the same enclosure as the driver of a box truck or single-compartment van.
The total weight of the cylinders, including the propane they contain, cannot exceed 108 pounds. Since a filled appliance cylinder typically weighs 20 pounds, this requirement imposes a limit of five cylinders.
If the cylinders have safety caps to cover the valve opening, those caps must be in place. Only older cylinders lack these caps.
You can only transport propane in leak-proof containers --if you have an older cylinder you're not sure about, don't use it.
You must place the cylinders on a flat surface, such as the floor of the car, a truck bed or the bottom of the trunk.
It was still attached to the regulator. THAT is illegal.
NFPA is a standard, and has no force of law unless codified.
Your state or municipality may allow it. Mine doesn't. Calm down.
Last edited by vancelw on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:46 pm Propane stinks bad. I can't believe the driver didn't notice it. :roll:
So do cigarettes...which also destroy your sense of smell.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Like Forrest Gump said, " stupid is as stupid does!"
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

[/quote]
It was still attached to the regulator. THAT is illegal.
NFPA is a standard, and has no force of law unless codified.
Your state or municipality may allow it. Mine doesn't. Calm down.
[/quote]

I'm always calm brother,wasn't trying to make it look like you were wrong in your reply.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:07 am New candidate for the Darwin Awards!

jb 8)
Naw, they failed to become serious contenders at that also.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:52 pm
BlaineG wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:46 pm Propane stinks bad. I can't believe the driver didn't notice it. :roll:
So do cigarettes...which also destroy your sense of smell.
Not unless you smoke two at a time shoved in your nose. :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV