Are parts interchangeable?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Are parts interchangeable?

Post by Naphtali »

Which currently manufactured reproduction Winchester Model 1886 rifles' parts can be used - with perhaps minor fitting - in original 1886s?

Which reproduction Winchester Model 71 rifles' parts can be used - with perhaps minor fitting - in original 71s?

Miroku, for example, manufactures or manufactured reproduction 1886s and 71s. The 1886's loading gate assembly has additional parts that the simplified 71 has combined as single part. Can the 71's loading gate assembly replace the 1886's (as has occurred with Winchester's OEM model change)?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Are parts interchangeable?

Post by HawkCreek »

I saw an old web page years ago where someone compared the Miroku 71 with an original Winchester. Someone had the same idea as you, taking the Miroku parts to rebuild a Winchester. As I recall some parts were able to be modified but Miroku used metric threads so things like the barrel were definitely not possible to be swapped (threads were different pitch as well as length). I dont remember well enough about the smaller parts, as I said I THINK some worked and some didn't. Sorry I can't help much more than that.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Are parts interchangeable?

Post by Stevie »

I don't know what parts are interchangeable between an original Winchester M1886 or a Miroku Winchester or Browning 1886...but Midwest Gun Works have Browning 1886 parts and Homestead Parts have Winchester parts listed.

I have bought quite a few pieces for an old Winchester 1892 .44-40 from Homestead and they all fit perfectly.

I've never taken my Browning 1886 carbine apart..although I probably should as I actually have been using the .45-70 carbine as a hunter and it has been wet!

The only things I know that likely differ from an original 1886 are the hammer springs (Browning parts pics show a coil spring system versus Winchester flat spring)..and the stocks as Brownings appear to be somewhat fatter than original Winchester guns. Of course the newer Miroku Winchesters have safetys and rebounding hammers and a coil hammer spring.

My Browning is one of the late 1980's/early 1990's saddle ring carbines..and has the fat wood....