RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
BlaineG
Posting leader...
Posts: 24736
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:22 pm
Location: Spanaway, Washington

RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#1 Post by BlaineG » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:15 pm

As Long As You Have A Sharp Stick, Never Give Up. Take One Of Them With You When They Come For You. :evil:

User avatar
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:56 pm
Location: 90% NE Texas and 10% SE Montana

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#2 Post by vancelw » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:44 pm

Not sure I'd pay 700 extra for a 7 x 57 Mauser just to have express sights and to have "Rigby" stamped on it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle

User avatar
AJMD429
Posting leader...
Posts: 22258
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:03 am
Location: Hoosierland
Contact:

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#3 Post by AJMD429 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:19 am

I'd rather have this one....(same trajectory more thump).

Image

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx? ... 7RSB375RUG
Image Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.


Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

User avatar
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 6324
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:59 am
Location: OH, South Shore of Lake Erie

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#4 Post by 2ndovc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:43 am

BlaineG wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:15 pm
Drool....
http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx? ... 7RSB275RIG
Classy!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"


" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 6460
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#5 Post by 6pt-sika » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:58 am

For me it's to expensive for what it is .
Parkers , 444 Marlin , 6.5mm's , Sika Deer and my family in the Philippines !

guido4198
Levergunner 3.0
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:08 am
Location: S. E. Florida

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#6 Post by guido4198 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:13 am

Too bad somebody F'd up an otherwise very nice looking rifle with that ugly P.O.S. on the end of the muzzle.
I wouldn't own it. I don't have anything against the caliber. I already own and shoot .375 H&H and .458 Win Mag rifles without any kind of stuff on the muzzle.
That rifle does have nice classic looks and features though.
On the other one...as pointed out...the designation ".275 Rigby" is simply marketing by Ruger.
If you want a rifle marked ".275 Rigby" it oughta be manufactured by Rigby.
A KIA with a Maserati nameplate on it is still a KIA.

User avatar
BlaineG
Posting leader...
Posts: 24736
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:22 pm
Location: Spanaway, Washington

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#7 Post by BlaineG » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:01 pm

Daaayam, a tough audience this week. :shock:
As Long As You Have A Sharp Stick, Never Give Up. Take One Of Them With You When They Come For You. :evil:

User avatar
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 6324
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:59 am
Location: OH, South Shore of Lake Erie

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#8 Post by 2ndovc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:14 pm

BlaineG wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:01 pm
Daaayam, a tough audience this week. :shock:
I was thinking the same thing.

A quick look on Gunbroker the Rugers are running around $900 give or take. You want a Maserati you're going to pay for it. The firearms world is no different. I'd like to see who else could produce a well made quality piece for under $1k in this world. Yes it's marketing, How else do you keep the Great Unwashed interested and buying new things? The companies that keep making the same products year after year after year are no longer here, or shadows of their former selves.


jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"


" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner
Posts: 1932
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#9 Post by MrMurphy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:29 pm

I have a pre 1913 Mauser, in 7x57mm... i will stick with it.

User avatar
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:56 pm
Location: 90% NE Texas and 10% SE Montana

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#10 Post by vancelw » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:44 pm

2ndovc wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:14 pm
BlaineG wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:01 pm
Daaayam, a tough audience this week. :shock:
I was thinking the same thing.

A quick look on Gunbroker the Rugers are running around $900 give or take. You want a Maserati you're going to pay for it. The firearms world is no different. I'd like to see who else could produce a well made quality piece for under $1k in this world. Yes it's marketing, How else do you keep the Great Unwashed interested and buying new things? The companies that keep making the same products year after year after year are no longer here, or shadows of their former selves.


jb 8)
I stand by my statement.
vancelw wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:44 pm
Not sure I'd pay 700 extra for a 7 x 57 Mauser just to have express sights and to have "Rigby" stamped on it.
A stainless Hawkeye can be had for $500-ish. And if you can't find 7x57, 7mm-08 is more better.
I have safari express rifles in .375 H&H and .458 Lott. Each cost me less than 900
If I wanted a Maserati, I'd save my money to buy one.
Marc Newton will fix you up a London's Best if you want a Rigby. :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle

User avatar
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 3010
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:40 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#11 Post by marlinman93 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:56 pm

I'm going the other way! Gonna have my friend engrave "275 Rigby" beside the 7x57 caliber designation on my Ruger #1 and then see if I can sell it for twice as much money! If Ruger can find some suckers, why not me too?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

User avatar
AJMD429
Posting leader...
Posts: 22258
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:03 am
Location: Hoosierland
Contact:

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#12 Post by AJMD429 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:38 pm

All ribbing and quibbling aside (...of course that would take all the FUN away from the forum...), I do think the Hawkeyes are GREAT guns for the money (as noted, their real-world prices are way less than 'suggested retail').

I actually have the 'Alaskan' model in 375 Ruger, before they added the muzzle-break, and it is one awesome all-around rifle out to 400 yards (as if I could hit anything that far away :D ). Personally, I actually think ALL rifles should have threaded muzzles, so don't object to "ugly things" screwed on there, because you can always remove them and just put a blank thread-protector there. Unless equipped with a suppressor, I'd have all my firearms with 'birdcage' type flash-suppressors, just to protect the crown (obsession due to a couple un-fortuitous childhood-era gun mishaps :oops: ).

The walnut-and-blued Hawkeyes are really nicer looking than the Hogue-and-stainless ones, but then again they show wear-and-tear more, and a gun like that should never be demeaned to 'safe-queen' status; the Hogue/stainless ones don't show wear as much.
Image Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.


Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

User avatar
BlaineG
Posting leader...
Posts: 24736
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:22 pm
Location: Spanaway, Washington

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#13 Post by BlaineG » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:06 pm

I stand by my statement.

Hey, no points lost for zero flexibility and no taste. :lol:
As Long As You Have A Sharp Stick, Never Give Up. Take One Of Them With You When They Come For You. :evil:

Bridger158
Levergunner
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:45 pm

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#14 Post by Bridger158 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:09 pm

I looked at one in the gunshop the other day. You guys say what you want, but I thought it was pretty sweet, and I thought the 275 Rigby marking added some cool factor to it. And, I liked the fact that it had iron sights...those seem to be tought to come by on a bolt these days.

Also, the one in the pic is a 375, which is why the muzzle break. The 275 does not have that.

User avatar
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 2202
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:47 pm
Location: Wheatland Wyoming
Contact:

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#15 Post by ollogger » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:10 am

I like the rifle a lot but after getting a Ruger RSI in 250 savage, I got looking at new Rugers on GB & found a RSI 275 in ss
for me the drool wont stop on that gun, so thanks a lot Blaine for making me go to GB again & dredging up that idea on a new gun!!!





Brad

User avatar
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 3010
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:40 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#16 Post by marlinman93 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:20 am

AJMD429 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:38 pm


I actually have the 'Alaskan' model in 375 Ruger, before they added the muzzle-break, and it is one awesome all-around rifle out to 400 yards (as if I could hit anything that far away :D ). Personally, I actually think ALL rifles should have threaded muzzles, so don't object to "ugly things" screwed on there, because you can always remove them and just put a blank thread-protector there. Unless equipped with a suppressor, I'd have all my firearms with 'birdcage' type flash-suppressors, just to protect the crown (obsession due to a couple un-fortuitous childhood-era gun mishaps :oops: ).
After watching tests at our gun club from guns with muzzle brakes vs. regular muzzles, I was shocked to see the sound level increases directed toward the firing line from those muzzle brakes! I personally don't need any more volume from the gun's report directed at me or fellow shooters on the line. So I'll stick with standard crowned barrels. My Rem. 700 VSF has a factory recessed crown, which protects it without directing noise towards me. Target shooters have used recessed crowns for decades to ensure no damage in handling.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

User avatar
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:56 pm
Location: 90% NE Texas and 10% SE Montana

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#17 Post by vancelw » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:50 am

BlaineG wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:06 pm
I stand by my statement.

Hey, no points lost for zero flexibility and no taste. :lol:
The "Curmudgeon" badge is not to be taken lightly! :D

Come on Blaine! A London's Best Rigby is only 20k quid. You've got that many pennies pinched in your grubby little fist right this very minute. :!:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 2810
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:00 am
Location: North Coast of America-Ohio

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#18 Post by .45colt » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Sweet.... :D . Step up to the plate if You want one. prolly end up around $999.00 in the real world. they will sell like crazy.

User avatar
AJMD429
Posting leader...
Posts: 22258
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:03 am
Location: Hoosierland
Contact:

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#19 Post by AJMD429 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:16 pm

marlinman93 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:20 am
AJMD429 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:38 pm


I actually have the 'Alaskan' model in 375 Ruger, before they added the muzzle-break, and it is one awesome all-around rifle out to 400 yards (as if I could hit anything that far away :D ). Personally, I actually think ALL rifles should have threaded muzzles, so don't object to "ugly things" screwed on there, because you can always remove them and just put a blank thread-protector there. Unless equipped with a suppressor, I'd have all my firearms with 'birdcage' type flash-suppressors, just to protect the crown (obsession due to a couple un-fortuitous childhood-era gun mishaps :oops: ).
After watching tests at our gun club from guns with muzzle brakes vs. regular muzzles, I was shocked to see the sound level increases directed toward the firing line from those muzzle brakes! I personally don't need any more volume from the gun's report directed at me or fellow shooters on the line. So I'll stick with standard crowned barrels. My Rem. 700 VSF has a factory recessed crown, which protects it without directing noise towards me. Target shooters have used recessed crowns for decades to ensure no damage in handling.
Yeah.....I agree on Muzzle Breaks.....pretty much zero use for them. My only gun with one is a Clinton-era AR in 223 that is super-accurate but HORRIBLE concussion and back blast.

The birdcage would have protected my guns from damage a 'deep crown' failed to protect from, although two of the three instances were 'kid being neglectful' and avoidable.

The real reason for wanting threading is I want the option to suppress all of my rifles, for range/training/fun shooting, and where legal, for hunting. If the laws weren't so ridiculous, integrally-suppressed ones would be easily ordered, but with the laws causing suppressors to be so expensive, sharing a 'can' between same-caliber guns has to be the practical answer.

A suppressed pistol-caliber levergun is about as good a pest-patrol gun around the farm as you can get. Really annoying to don hearing protectors just to go toss the nightly gay flakes to the goats, but after getting slight but permanent hearing damage from firing my Marlin inside a barn one night I won't shoot without them.

So unless a gun is one I just got for lookin' at instead of shootin'....thread 'em all....! :lol:
Image Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.


Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 2685
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:34 am
Location: north of Dallas, 1100 miles or so

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#20 Post by 3leggedturtle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:26 pm

[quote=AJMD429
Really annoying to don hearing protectors just to go toss the nightly gay flakes to the goats
[/quote]

Doc is that something you really want to air out on a public forumn! :lol:
Wonder how many people will think they are getting an extremely rare and hard to find caliber. Now if they would just make one in 6.5x52 rimless...

Todd3/leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage: The Original short action, compact, high velocity cartridge.

User avatar
BlaineG
Posting leader...
Posts: 24736
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:22 pm
Location: Spanaway, Washington

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#21 Post by BlaineG » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:53 pm

A suppressed pistol-caliber levergun is about as good a pest-patrol gun around the farm as you can get. Really annoying to don hearing protectors just to go toss the nightly gay flakes to the goats, but after getting slight but permanent hearing damage from firing my Marlin inside a barn one night I won't shoot without them.
I find that CB Longs or Shorts out of a reasonably long-barreled .22 are very quiet...Moreso than many hi-powered air rifles.
As Long As You Have A Sharp Stick, Never Give Up. Take One Of Them With You When They Come For You. :evil:

m.wun
Levergunner 3.0
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: S.Cal

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#22 Post by m.wun » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:01 pm

guido4198 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:13 am
Too bad somebody F'd up an otherwise very nice looking rifle with that ugly P.O.S. on the end of the muzzle.
I wouldn't own it. I don't have anything against the caliber. I already own and shoot .375 H&H and .458 Win Mag rifles without any kind of stuff on the muzzle.
That rifle does have nice classic looks and features though.
On the other one...as pointed out...the designation ".275 Rigby" is simply marketing by Ruger.
If you want a rifle marked ".275 Rigby" it oughta be manufactured by Rigby.
A KIA with a Maserati nameplate on it is still a KIA.
I have a Hawkeye that is stamped 308win and it's not a Winchester. I see the point but no big deal to me.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here

User avatar
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:56 pm
Location: 90% NE Texas and 10% SE Montana

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#23 Post by vancelw » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:58 pm

m.wun wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:01 pm
guido4198 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:13 am
Too bad somebody F'd up an otherwise very nice looking rifle with that ugly P.O.S. on the end of the muzzle.
I wouldn't own it. I don't have anything against the caliber. I already own and shoot .375 H&H and .458 Win Mag rifles without any kind of stuff on the muzzle.
That rifle does have nice classic looks and features though.
On the other one...as pointed out...the designation ".275 Rigby" is simply marketing by Ruger.
If you want a rifle marked ".275 Rigby" it oughta be manufactured by Rigby.
A KIA with a Maserati nameplate on it is still a KIA.
I have a Hawkeye that is stamped 308win and it's not a Winchester. I see the point but no big deal to me.
The difference is .308 Winchester is the name of the cartridge. The only people who (used to) call 7 x 57 Mauser, 275 Rigby was Rigby.

But Ruger also stamps rifles as being 7.62 x 39 when they actually have a .308 bore instead of .311.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle

User avatar
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 8332
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:37 pm
Location: Central Fla

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#24 Post by Rusty » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:43 am

I already have 2 Hawkeyes. Not sure I need another one.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 3082
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:05 am
Location: Ashland, OR

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#25 Post by Bill in Oregon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:19 am

Blaine, I am with you, bro. I think that's one of the handsomer bolt guns Ruger has built. Absolutely love a 7X57/.275 Rigby.

User avatar
BlaineG
Posting leader...
Posts: 24736
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:22 pm
Location: Spanaway, Washington

Re: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 275 RIGBY

#26 Post by BlaineG » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:13 pm

Bill in Oregon wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:19 am
Blaine, I am with you, bro. I think that's one of the handsomer bolt guns Ruger has built. Absolutely love a 7X57/.275 Rigby.
I have an older tang-safety Ruger Bolt in '06....... When you get right down to it, and if I had to, that could be an only center-fire rifle. One could say the the same of 7x57...
As Long As You Have A Sharp Stick, Never Give Up. Take One Of Them With You When They Come For You. :evil:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], rodeo kid and 2 guests