My bodies broke and worn out

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

My bodies broke and worn out

Post by J Miller »

Well I've been visiting a bunch of doctors recently, a neurologist, an orthopedist, and a few others.

The neurologist is working on my wrecked spine. 7 weeks ago I had surgery on my lower cervical vertebra (lower neck) to fix the crushed disks that were impinging my spinal cord. So far there has been some little improvement, but I've been told I may never get back all I've lost due to the nerve damage. This directly affects my shooting as the two fingers between the trigger and little finger on my right hand are drooping and unresponsive. I can't even properly pick up a pistol with that hand.

My lower back is trashed as well. It's to the point I can't walk or stand for any length of time without a lot of pain. So that is the next the topic of the next visit to the neurologist.
So much for walking back and forth to the targets at the range.

I had an appointment with the knee doc yesterday. Not good at all. I've got a torn a.c.l. in the right knee with obvious bone to bone arthritis, it's week, but not overly painful. Dr says this one is a candidate for a knee joint replacement.
Except I have to loose at least 80 pounds before such surgery will be considered. Sigh :cry:
And nothing that shows on the ex-rays for the left knee. Yet it's the stiff one that will fold up without warning and hurts constantly. Between them I can't walk worth a darn.

I know I'm not alone, and although being a typical tom cat I love attention ... I sure don't like it this way!

Since 2013 when I got that e-coli my body has just fallen apart. :(

Does anyone know where I can buy OEM vintage parts for a 52 model?

I'll be 65 in 11 days, what a sorry way to spend a birthday.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: My bodies broke and worn out

Post by wvfarrier »

i hear ya. im 42. been a farrier most of my life. i mo e lime quasimodo in the mornings
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sorry to hear your sorrows Joe, we will be praying for ya hang in there.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm prolly at least 60-80 pounds overweight. A hundred over where I retired from the Army. All my aches and pains and diabetes, shortness of breath, and such are caused by that. It was easier to quit smoking and drinking than it is to lose weight, but I know if I don't lose it I'll cut 10 years off my life, or more. Let's both get 'er done, ok? 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Joe,
None of us are without issues. My physical shape is excellent, but I do deal with anxiety and depression everyday....I'm a worry-wart. This is how I maintain my sanity......each morning I wake up, I thank our Christian God for letting me live three times as long as the average soldier who died fighting so I can live in a great country and do, for the most part, anything I damm well please. I figure I'm 40 years ahead of those gallant boys.

Life ain't easy.--------6
Model A Uzi’s
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Getting Old isn't easy Joe . I think what You need is water therapy, so You can get moving a lot without putting further damage on all of Your bones and everything else that hurts. don't know if anything is around like the YMCA or a public beach? You gotta find a way to get Your muscles moving and the blood flowing. If You can You would start feeling better.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well, at nearly 67 I've beat my body up pretty good, so I'm surely not going to say I'm in great shape! Haven't had an ACL in my right knee for decades, and doctor wanted to fix it, but it meant 18 months off work, so my option was to exercise and keep the muscles toned enough to hold the joint together.
Twisted my right wrist on the job in 1971 and lost 85% of the use of my wrist. Hurts every day, but couldn't see just giving up, so learned to live with it, and do things left handed. No circulation to the bones in my right wrist, and doctor told me in 1975 I'd need it fused in a few years, but still haven't done it, and likely wont.
Bad feet from years of working on concrete and carrying heavy tool pouches and gear, but I just try to get good shoes, and arch supports. These days I can still walk in the woods or outdoors well, but can't walk a couple miles on hard surfaces.
As my dad told me when I was younger, "Getting old isn't for wimps." Now I know what he meant!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Oh heck, as long as we are airing our physical woes, had. Heart cath
Confirmed the need for valve replacement and found one artery needing bypass.

Not worried as I don't figure it will take long to heal up and be onery as ever. :evil:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AAAH - the Golden Years........... :roll:

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pete44ru wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:24 pm .

AAAH - the Golden Years........... :roll:

Yea it takes all your gold to stay alive
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When you get involved with the traditional Health Care System, everything is so expensive that you wind up only doing what insurance covers. Unfortunately, insurance only covers what the best medical lobbyists windup making be covered. You may have a lot of things you could do that would help greatly reduce your pain and improve your function, but they are not things you will get going to physicians who accept Insurance because those physicians only do what things are covered by insurance instead of what benefits the patient. It is fairly likely that you have insulin resistance that needs treated and fairly likely that you have a methylfolate metabolism issue which would benefit greatly from an appropriate supplement which would cost less than a dollar a day and greatly reduce your pain, reduce your cardiovascular risk, and improve the odds you won't suffer any neurologic problems down the road. You won't get this from a physician who accepts insurance or takes any kind of Healthy Indiana Plans related to Medicaid or that sort of thing.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There is more money to be made by just keeping you barely healthy enough to work and pay your insurance premiums and copays. Lots of Doctors, Pharmacists, hospitals, and drug companies see you as just a paycheck. There are a few Doctors and Pharmacists who see the reality of healing everything and everyone possible, because there will always be accidents, injuries, and those who just refuse to take care of themselves in any way. If we could get the IRS out of healthcare, and they didn't want to be put in charge of it anyway, and just go back to what it was, it would be a big improvement. I am on a local Congressman's advisory committee. I am trying to give him the best advice and help which I can give. He is a member of the Freedom Caucus, and is doing his best to get things done the right way. If we had more like him, things would be a lot better.

Now, for short term help, there is a new Preparation H with 5% lidocaine. It and a couple of store brands are as strong as anything you could get by prescription. You can use it on painful joints. It is marketed for hemorrhoids, although it will work for many other problems. Rub some on your knee before going for a walk. It won't be pain free, but it will make it tolerable. Keep moving. It doesn't take a whole lot of movement and low impact exercise to show a lot of gain. Keep moving. You don't have to try to be the man you were in your 20s and 30s. Just set goals which you can achieve and get there so that you can set new goals. Even if you have to use a wheelchair to go out and look at your target, get moving. Try taking glucosamine and chondroitin, with or without msm, it may help with the joints and the pain. About half of all who try it do get good results. Low impact non strenuous exercise is really helpful. Get moving.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD,

I have no doubt you are 100% correct. However I do not know of any Dr in this end of the state that practices the kind of medicine you're are talking about.
And, even if I did I don't have any funds to pay him. The insurance you mentioned is all I have for treatments.

I kind of like marlinman93 and piller's comments right now.
I'm already taking glucosamine and chondroitin although the bottle doesn't say msm on it. And although I have a few strong meds I ration those for the real bad times and use OTC pain meds most of the time.

Wife and I are looking for a used, make that cheep, exercycle so we can keep the legs limber without a lot of walking. More than one reason for that. We are sort of the token whiteys in this neighborhood and there has been at least 7 fatal shootings within blocks of us in the last two years.

We have not given up, it's just a bit more than I want to take at this point of my life.
My goal is to return to work to get more income into the bank account. We're not much over flat broke right now and our rent just went up $75.00 as of next month.

Plus we still have a bunch of our stuff in IL in a storage locker we need to get here and we no longer have a vehicle capable of towing a trailer or hauling much. The frame is rusted out due to road salt. If we could get that moved it would pay the rent increase with a few left for eats.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

For your knee arthritis, may I suggest mixing up some bone broth with a little black pepper, ginger, and tumeric. It actually will reduce inflammation and help your joints.
Because I could barely walk without extreme knee pain due to moderate arthritis, I tried this for a few weeks, and it really helped somewhat. I mentioned that to my orthopedic doctor, who then gave me an Viscosupplementation (Rooster Comb) Injection. I have been almost completely knee pain free now, going on or four months now. Ask your doc about it. It works for about 50% of patients.
otteray
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Get a RECUMBENT exercise bike, so both of you can use it (the others are hard to adjust in between users). Also a non-recumbent will be much harder on back and knees; the recumbent give you back support, a way more comfortable seat, and can adjust for leg-length mid-session, to keep your knees happy.

I've seen new ones for around $200, and they should last decades; mine is 30 years old and works fine. Magnetic resistance versus disk/pad ones are maintenance free and better; might add some to the price of new, but probably not if used.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

otteray and piller both have good suggestions.

You can also get something called MethylGuard Plus from a place called Thorne.com that won't hurt you if you don't need it, but if you do need it, it may really help neuropathic pain from disks, and helps depression dramatically sometimes. It is like "B-complex" but uses the active forms of the vitamins, since 30% or so of us can't properly activate and benefit from the regular forms.

Also - think strict 'South Beach' diet, or better yet as long as you drink plenty of fluids 'Atkins' diet. There's no way with your physique you aren't at least insulin resistant (the part of being 'diabetic' that causes the most harm), even if your sugars are not yet high enough to be officially 'diabetic'.

Your doc can order a FASTING insulin (not glucose) and see. If you have a high insulin, metformin is free at Meijer pharacies, and really cheap elsewhere.

Look up all your meds on GoodRx.com, some are cheaper WITHOUT using your insurance.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I can commiserate with many on this thread.Still a long road to recovery after my laminectomy in April. The nerves the make my legs work are still "angry" and when my legs go numb it is hard to walk. Cataract in right eye needs to be removed. Cymbalta helps with the depression. Weight not currently an issue, as the stress of moving and being asked for a divorce has me off my feed, and I have lost 16 pounds in the past six weeks or so. And I still have to move on to New Mexico when we get a house in central Oregon sold. And on top of it, I am drinking more beer than is healthy.
Joe, take this stuff one day at a time, and one piece at a time if you can. I'll be 65 in March, and Medicare can't come too soon.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Salads while I'm on the Atkins Diet allow me to eat a lettuce salad the way I like them; loaded up with on all the protein goodies that make a delicious salad, like meat, cheese, hard boiled eggs & oil.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller - I sent you a PM.....

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:54 am I can commiserate with many on this thread.Still a long road to recovery after my laminectomy in April. The nerves the make my legs work are still "angry" and when my legs go numb it is hard to walk. Cataract in right eye needs to be removed. Cymbalta helps with the depression. Weight not currently an issue, as the stress of moving and being asked for a divorce has me off my feed, and I have lost 16 pounds in the past six weeks or so. And I still have to move on to New Mexico when we get a house in central Oregon sold. And on top of it, I am drinking more beer than is healthy.
Joe, take this stuff one day at a time, and one piece at a time if you can. I'll be 65 in March, and Medicare can't come too soon.
Dang, Bill, you got a plateful for sure. :( Prayers for you, too....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Joe, you might look into public swimming pools in your area! We have some that are open during the day and have free senior programs to help us older guys keep in better shape. It's lower impact, and swimming is easy on the joints, and uses other muscles that will help with weight loss.
I go occasionally, but really should go far more often, as I need to lose about 20 lbs. myself.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:40 pm piller - I sent you a PM.....
Just checked, didn't come through.

AJMD,
will check this out this week.

marlinman93,
Well, unless something has changed, and I doubt it, I can't stand the chlorine they put in pools. My eyes go red, swell up and I can't see. That's why I can't / wont do public pools.
Not sure what the Y does, but perhaps they don't use as much.

Joe
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

While you are laid up, Why not kick back and live vicariously, trekking the Appalachian Trail.
'A Walk In The Woods'
https://youtu.be/cOF2LIAp9bw
otteray
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

After an early medical retirement due to numerous job related injuries, I got a little out of shape..well not really because round is a shape. :D My love is chasing elk and I'm not about to give it up. Every year about this time I hit the gym a lot and hike in preparation. It does get a little harder due to knee surgery, a shoulder clean out and later a shoulder replacement but definitely doable. Now I'm dealing with bursitis in my elbow. Don't know why it strikes but its been 3 times in 2 years. Actually getting it drained tomorrow.
The best year hunting I had was 3 years ago when I dumped about 15 pounds. It made hiking those hills and game trails a whole lot easier and lots of fun. It doesn't take much. Honestly, for me, joint and back pains go away with a litle weight loss. Just do something every day.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

My biggest concern is for my wife. I can deal with being on that short list of time left here on earth. Toughest part is how much extra work and stress that "time" puts on my better half. Was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer just a few months after we met back in '85 . Together , along with the surgery /chemo stuff / surgery , we kicked cancers azz. She was my rock when I needed it , and I was hers. :D
Phil
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I can relate guys, and I'm only 52. Severe scoliosis with arthritis and degenerative disk. Both shoulders shot and need replaced. The military still has not kicked me out because nobody wants to work in this day and age. Pretty much laid up this weekend with low back and hips hurting.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Yep....I know how that goes. A couple of weeks I was in the "spine doc's" office and he was looking at the MRI of my lower back, pointing at this or that. I asked him if this had a name? "Sure" he said, "You are falling apart". I responded by saying that is a hell of a medical diagnosis. He replied, "What do you expect, you are 75 years old".

So we manage the pain as best we can, keep a positive attitude and hobble on down the road to glory. At the least, old age is a test of our character and faith.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

right now, i help care for my, almost 93 year old mother, who is in dementia, when i can as we live far away from her.
i turn 76 on my next b'day.

working on my mini-ranch and with our horse helps keep me going...she's a 16 hh half freisian, half Thoroughbred who insists on testing my patience at times.

i attended the beginning of the war in S/E Asia and fared ok with that but ended up having a major motorcycle wreck in 2000 that nearly cost me my right foot.

i discovered just a year-and-a-half ago, i have only one kidney...a "Horseshoe" kidney, which had a cancerous tumor on it; it was successfully removed.

i just keep doing day-by-day what i can. God has a plan for me...i don't know what it is but i put my faith and belief in Him and enjoy what i have left.

:D :D :D
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

right now, i help care for my, almost 93 year old mother, who is in dementia, when i can as we live far away from her.
i turn 76 on my next b'day.

working on my mini-ranch and with our horse helps keep me going...she's a 16 hh half freisian, half Thoroughbred who insists on testing my patience at times.

i attended the beginning of the war in S/E Asia and fared ok with that but ended up having a major motorcycle wreck in 2000 that nearly cost me my right foot.

i discovered just a year-and-a-half ago, i have only one kidney...a "Horseshoe" kidney, which had a cancerous tumor on it; it was successfully removed.

i just keep doing day-by-day what i can. God has a plan for me...i don't know what it is but i put my faith and belief in Him and enjoy what i have left.

:D :D :D
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers