Up and Running Again

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wildgoose
Levergunner 1.0

Up and Running Again

Post by Wildgoose »

Been out of circulation for a while due to knee replacement. Just made it out to the range to do some shooting again this last two weeks. Walking back and forth the to the target lines as exercise for the new knee gets me a pass for more range time with the wife. Silver lining and all that. Back on the motorcycle too. Life is good.
Any way I finally got to shoot some cast bullet test loads I worked up during my down time. I also went ahead while down to mount a scope on the Henry 44 Big Boy Steel. I expected to improve on my old iron sight groups but was a bit disappointed to find that the improvement was only around an inch or so on average. No matter its sure nice to be able to clearly see what I am shooting at now.
The best loads were the following.
Ranch Dog 265 grain NOE mold gas checked with 19.0 grains of 2400 at 3 1/4 inches ( 100 yards)-see comments on fliers.
Missouri Cast Bullet coated 300 grain with 14.0 grains of 2400 at 3 inches (100 yards)-see comments on fliers.
I shot several other loads with different bullets and powders that all were in the 4.5 inch range. The most interesting thing I experienced is that in just about every case out of fifteen shot strings testing I had one to three fliers that opened the groups out to as much as seven inches. In all cases the fliers were with in the first five or six shots and were not called and the rest grouping nicely. Not sure what the cause is. Me, gun heating up or something in my loading process that is not uniform? The rifle does tend to loosen up the front hand grip screws and I did try to keep them tight for each string. I could locktite them in place but am not to crazy about that as getting them out down the line could be an issue.
At any rate I am going to try and tighten up my loading parameters for the next set of loads and see if I can get a handle on what is causing the fliers. Darn just going to have to shoot some more. :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Up and Running Again

Post by Pete44ru »

Great therapy- I'm glad the knee replacement came out alright. :)

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

It sounds like you took good advantage of the down time before the knee got ready for steady use. One thing they don't tell you about the new knee that would be good to know is that it keeps getting better and stronger for at least a year or year and a half. Which also means that it takes that year and a half to get to full strength. At least for me it did -- I was kinda' disappointed in mine for the first hunting season but was going good by the next one.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Thanks for the info an your experience Earl. I'm really looking forward to getting mine replaced but first is by-pass surgery next week. Go in for my pre-op today. Heart surgeon says 6 weeks 'till I can get the knee replaced.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Wildgoose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Wildgoose »

earlmck wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:41 am It sounds like you took good advantage of the down time before the knee got ready for steady use. One thing they don't tell you about the new knee that would be good to know is that it keeps getting better and stronger for at least a year or year and a half. Which also means that it takes that year and a half to get to full strength. At least for me it did -- I was kinda' disappointed in mine for the first hunting season but was going good by the next one.
Good to hear Earl. Mine is doing ok but its going to be awhile before its pain free and fully functional. I am going to keep up with the daily exercises as well as walking so things will continue to improve as fast as possible. I want to be able to be back on the road next summer for some long distance motorcycle tours and deer season is coming up in just a few more months.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Wild goose, get yourself BLUE LOCKTITE, just a half a drop will hold those forend screws just fine and you'll be able to turn them out with very little effort! Just be sure to degrease the screws and the holes.

When I got my Henry 41 mag I had fouling problems, DO SHOOT PLATED BULLETS, after I got the bore back to being clean and fouling free I was getting 1 hole groups at 50 yards. Never got back to trying it at 100... Haven't tried any cast yet as I don't have a 41 mould yet.

When I had mine apart, I took the slightest amount of wood off the forearm where it was touching the front of the receiver. I also opened up the forend cap so it wasn't touching the barrel. Whether or not this made 1 hole groups possible I can't say but I bet it helped a lot!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Wildgoose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Wildgoose »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:38 am Wild goose, get yourself BLUE LOCKTITE, just a half a drop will hold those forend screws just fine and you'll be able to turn them out with very little effort! Just be sure to degrease the screws and the holes.

When I got my Henry 41 mag I had fouling problems, DO SHOOT PLATED BULLETS, after I got the bore back to being clean and fouling free I was getting 1 hole groups at 50 yards. Never got back to trying it at 100... Haven't tried any cast yet as I don't have a 41 mould yet.

When I had mine apart, I took the slightest amount of wood off the forearm where it was touching the front of the receiver. I also opened up the forend cap so it wasn't touching the barrel. Whether or not this made 1 hole groups possible I can't say but I bet it helped a lot!
Thanks Gunny, I will give it a go.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I took the old bike on a favorite jaunt of mine that I make once or twice a year. About 100 miles, part of it on washboardy gravel road but you are rewarded by some real fine twisty stuff on paved (sort of paved?) Forest Service roads. Last year when I did it I remember the knees ached a little bit, but not nearly as much as they had the year before when the knees were newly replaced. And this year the knees don't hurt at all! I believe that is about the first time in my biking life that I took a ride of that duration (about 3 hours) and didn't have ouchy knees. So hey -- if these things keep getting better maybe I'll be able to leap tall buildings. Or maybe just short buildings, but that would be quite fine. Anyway, just wanted to pass this along to you fellows with new knees or about to get new knees. Full recovery may take quite a lot longer than the medical profession will admit to you, but it is worth it!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Following orders and doing rehab on knee replacements gives the best results. Keep moving.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost