Target backing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Target backing

Post by gcs »

I've finally decided to build a range and target holder frame thingee at my hunting camp. I should be able to squeeze in a 200 yd range, and build a bench and target frame. I never bothered before as my 336 with the peep hasn't changed in 30 years, but my son and nephew could use the practice. :mrgreen:
Anyway, what does one use now for the target backing?
Back once upon a time, it seemed everyone used Homasote, I don't know if that stuff even exists anymore. So ...what do you all use or recommend?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Target backing

Post by GunnyMack »

Homesite works but it's not real good if left out in the weather. Cello text was the good stuff. Homes store is still on the market but I'm not sure about celotex.

If it were me I'd just get OSB plywood(wafer board), it's cheap enough.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

OSB, particle board, Masonite, etc will all not fare well, weatherwise - get a 4'x8x1/2" sheet of marine grade (water-resistant glue) plywood & cut it up for your needs.

Also, furring strips are less expensive & lighter than 2"x3" or 2"xx4" lumber for target frames. (they're ALL gonna get shot, sooner or later)

If the bases are made from PVC tubing, the wood will be off the ground (weatherwise).

The frames can be made to easily dis-assemble after shooting, for weatherproof storage.

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Roofing Felt Targets staple onto it well, but it needs to be attached to a wood upper & lower.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Roofing Felt . Targets staple onto it well, but it needs to be attached to a wood upper & lower.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

If you can find a pile of old election or contractor signs they are made from a plastic that is assembled much like cardboard. I've found the same stuff in Lows as a heavy duty yard sale sign. It's a great target backer, they last and last and last. I dont know about staples but they are easy to push a thumb tac into.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

HawkCreek wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:16 pm If you can find a pile of old election or contractor signs they are made from a plastic that is assembled much like cardboard. I've found the same stuff in Lows as a heavy duty yard sale sign. It's a great target backer, they last and last and last. I dont know about staples but they are easy to push a thumb tac into.
Yes, known as coreflute in Australia and used by many ranges with staples. It's often available free in the form real estate for sale signs, which are generally about 600 x 900 x 6mm.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

For the record marine plywood is void free. As in no missing knot holes in the core layers or other such voids that can allow surface layers to break.
Any exterior plywood has weather/water resistant glue... cdx, the normal plywood for sheathing/ roofing is going to cheaper than a marine grade.
Cdx is probably double what OSB will cost and a marine grade will be double a cdx....
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

When I need new backing I just take a trip down the alley behind one or the other appliance store in our town. Those big pieces of cardboard work very well and if I remember to bring them inside when I'm through, they last a long time. Targets staple to them easily and the price is right.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Hmm, I have those coroplast signs, I cut them up and use them for climbing panels on conch pots. If i remember right, they are 2' long by about 20" high, tough stuff. I pick them up after elections. I'll try that before having to buy something. Thanks all
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have a setup similar to that described by the OP. I set two 6" treated posts in the ground and attached two old interior doors placed horizontally , one above the other. This gave me a target face 79" x 60". The doors are readily available, usually free if you find a house being remodeled, or a couple bucks each at yard sales, etc. For myself, I shoot quite a bit so I have to replace the doors every 2 or 3 years.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

We use OSB for our tarGet backers. I bring along sheets of cardboard to cover shot up target frames when I go to shoot. I use drywall screws to attach the cardboard and end up with a clean surface to staple targets to.

OSB ( oriented strand board) should have been named disoriented chip board ( DCB). There is nothing oriented about it but it is cheap. :lol:
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

Conveyor belt works great and lasts a very long time
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

azzhandler wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:22 am Conveyor belt works great and lasts a very long time
When I ran a range we used conveyor belt rubber about 3' x 4' nailed to 2x4s on a base. They last a very long time and are weatherproof. They are easy to staple into. Each would take about 2000-3000 rounds a month. We replaced them once a year only because we had a large supply. A concrete plant and gravel company was more than happy to donate them. Just roll out your length and cut/scribe with a razor blade cutter, bend and cut other side.

That said, I'm so jealous you have a 200 yard range to yourself! If I shoot CB .22 rounds in my yard the neighbors go insane.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Yeah it will be nice, spartan, but nice.
If i hold my tongue just right, I should just make 200 yds. Normal shooting range when hunting, oh, maybe 40-75 yds.
These kids think their good...wait till they line up at 200 yds. :shock: