Conundrum...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Conundrum...

Post by Old Ironsights »

OK.... so I gave my EDC to a Smith for Cerekoting and a bit of "better than dremel" polishing.

Which means I'm short #1 and have to default to #2.

#2 is a gun I really like in important respects. It's accurate (maybe more so than my 1911), and feels good in the hand.

But it's heavy, doesn't conceal as well, and I don't trust the mag release... so it's "only good for" 14rnds... that I can draw a smiley face with at 10 yds.

So... AAARGHH.

I've tried fixing the mag release, but to no avail. I don't get drop free empty OR full, and the button is prone to post-drop push through, which (usually) clears with the next mag.

But mag changes SUCK. I'm glad this is an eyeball accurate gun because I can't imagine a way to do a decent tactical (retention or slide lock) change with this gun.

Given that it is (IMO/IMEX) a 100% 1'st shot T-Zone gun with 13 behind it, should I really whine about a mag change? With my 1911 I have 14 with a mag change. With Ziggy I have 14 before I need a Mag Change.

Am I being too "GunRagPerfect"?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Conundrum...

Post by RustyJr »

Magazine changes would be an important consideration for me. Maybe you wont need more than 13 rounds but what if you have a double feed and need a fresh magazine to clear a jam and recharge your gun? BTW what is your #2 gun?

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, you need to evaluate what your chances are of having to get into a prolonged gun battle - which I would WAG is pretty low for civilians.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yeah, out here away from the Rat Holes, there is not much of a chance.

One of the funny additions to my IDPA/USPSA lifer cognitive dissonance is that when actually "threatened" with large critters (by being in THEIR yard) I'm fine with Six. But when theoretically threatened with Jihadi/Bangers I want reloads.

It's kind of why, besides carry and hand comfort, I EDC a 1911 over a crunchenticker, even though I am, competitively, better with a doublestack 9 than my 1911.

8+ a reload just seems most practical for me.

But I shoot better with my SiG clone...

Arrrgh.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I shot IPSC for 10 years so just have to have a magazine change ability for me to remain sane so the 1911 is my choice. But then, sometimes I carry a Smith 6906. Sorta compact double stack 9mm but mag changes with it are 100% reliable. I guess whatever you're comfortable with.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS