Marlin 39A question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 39A question

Post by Stevie »

So I was at a gun store and looked at a Marlin 39A...pretty nice looking gun. Something I noticed which concerned me..and caused me to put the rifle back on the shelf was a couple 'extra' holes in the left side of the receiver!

Well this evening I get to looking at Marlin 39 rifles online and noticed that some 39A rifles had these very same holes drilled into the left side receiver :?:

It dawns on me that maybe 'Bubba' didn't drill these extra holes into the otherwise nice .22 lever-gun..but what might they be for?

The only thing I can think of would be possibly to provide a visual on if there are cartridges in the chamber and mag-tube...that or to let crud and mud out if it got dropped into thick mud(not likely)...the holes about have to be loaded verification holes...
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marlin 39A question

Post by 765x53 »

Pre drilled and taped for Williams receiver sights. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Williams-Gun-Si ... SwOgdYpzhW
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

It's pre-drilled for peep sights and scope mount..I saw those holes with plug-screws. These are a couple holes no threads. One up high approx. chamber location and another down lower like maybe where the tube pushes ammo into the receiver.

This is a Marlin Marlin...old enough it lacks a cross-bolt safety. If you browse GunBroker search the Marlin 39A and look at some pics...I saw at least two 39A rifle with these same two 'extra' holes. A bunch that don't have the holes
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The 39A's sold by Sears back in the early '50's were factory-drilled for a side-mount scope base -- enough holes to make the receiver and barrel resemble a Swiss cheese. It used to be that these could be bought considerably cheaper than other examples because people assumed they were Bubba'd, but they were completely original. Nowadays, more people know about it and for the most part the price advantage has disappeared.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

No this one appeared to have the side mount scope holes too(plus Lyman/Williams peep sight holes..all plugged)

Will I get banished from the forum if I post links to an active GB auction? If not I'll find some auction pics showing the holes I'm talking about

Well?...I found a good pic at Gun Broker and saved it..but can't get it link from my folder!

It appears to be a later model version with a cross-bolt safety(and no peep sight holes)

I also looked at some at GB that just appeared to have one extra hole up high and not the lower hole. Has to be loaded holes!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The new 39A's have a hole in the side that you can see brass through. It it a loaded chamber indecator. Mine has that and I thought it strange at first but soon got over it. My 39A is a super accurate ,sweet shooting rifle. I did drill and tap it for a Williams FP sight. SWEET ! :D
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Sorry for the fuzzy picture, but it shows the holes in question. One is to see a chambered round, the other is to see a round in the magazine.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The hole at the chamber on newer 39a's serves two purposes. It does let you see the rim to acknowledge it's loaded, but it also lets gas escape safely if the rim ruptures during firing. Older guns would blow burnt powder back in the shooter's eyes, as the escaping gas followed the firing pin and bolt gaps.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BANISHED! Heck no we encourage enabling and expect it!! :mrgreen: Welcome to best enablers site around the net. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the fire, Stevie !

It looks like you have your answer, so my question is: Did ya go back & buy it ? . :mrgreen:

Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

Pete44ru wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:26 am .

Welcome to the fire, Stevie !

It looks like you have your answer, so my question is: Did ya go back & buy it ? . :mrgreen:

No...not yet anyhow. Yesterday I was pretty torn and just about put it on my visa card...but the holes...those darn holes sort-of scared me off it. That and I'm seriously thinking about Gun Brokering a Winchester 'Canadian Centennial'

You guys are getting me all worked-up....I already own a couple decent .22LR lever-guns plus a .22 mag 9422. The Marlin 39A in question also had tang sight holes(unplugged)...like somebody had removed a tang sight. Those didn't disturb me much but the mystery holes did....

I am probably not going to buy it(unless my fever returns!)...it is a pretty decent looking Marlin though and priced less than $500 which is unusual for Marlin 39 rifles I've seen
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

If I found a really nice 39A for less than 500, I would probably be able to ignore a couple of little holes. :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Stevie wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:48 pm

I'm seriously thinking about Gun Brokering a Winchester 'Canadian Centennial'

The Marlin 39A in question also had tang sight holes(unplugged)...like somebody had removed a tang sight. Those didn't disturb me much but the mystery holes did....

The D/T'd holes in the tang are surely aftermarket, but are easily plugged with headless filler screws.

Given your inventory, though, I'd say "Go for the Winchester Canadian Centennial".

I had a Winchester Canadian Railway Centennial in .32 Special, and just loved it - after all, how else to obtain a "deluxe" Winchester 94 with upgraded wood & engraving for less than half the price of a genie ? . :mrgreen:

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd fill those tang holes with a good tang sight! It will allow the 39a to shoot more accurately, and stretch it's legs too!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

the lower hole is, indeed, for seeing if there are cartridges left in the magazine. the upper is for pressure relief and 'loaded chamber'... :D

i put electricians tape over the upper to keep crud out of it...if a round bursts, it will still work.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a M39 and love it. One day I took it to the range with some standard velocity .22 shorts. I was wearing out the 10 ring at 25 yards when my best friend, who was range officer walked up behind me and asks are you going to shoot or just stand there? With the Standard velocity shorts there wasn't enough muzzle report to hear anything.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.