To Cerakote or not... or what...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

To Cerakote or not... or what...?

Post by Old Ironsights »

My EDC/IWB is my "Compact Commander"/"Commanding Officer", "CCO" or whatever you want to call it. 4.25" Upper with bushing and "Officer's" size lower.

Problem is, Upper is Stainless (good) but Lower is blue (bad) - I rust blued guns, sweat shield or no.

So, I need to do something about that.

Cerekote? Something else?

The various iterations of this gun that I have built in the past were always Stainless on LW Officer's alloy frames, not steel, and I've never tried to get blue steel and my corrosive personality to get along...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: To Cerakote or not... or what...?

Post by Pete44ru »

A long passed friend had a 1911 black Teflon-coated, which seemed to work fairly well against rust/abuse.

Sorry, I don't remember where he got it done, or how much it cost.

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My 2 favorite 1911s have "Metalloy" frame groups and one has black chrome on the slide. The high lubricity of the Metalloy is a marvelous aid to keeping them running. The one built by Frank Pachmeyer has over 100,000 rounds through it and shows very little wear.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Electroless nickel plating !
Have it on a Para! Fine bead blasted the surfaces, not in the holes or rubbing surfaces, and the finish is a full gray ! Never has a rust problem, after years, and my sweat is like battery acid. Just a suggestion !
John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I also can rust a gun with one bead of sweat. I have a Taurus pt in 9mm that is cera koted no issues on any metal parts, as frame is polymer. I also have an AR that is coated shows very little wear but nothing to rust. In the past my EDC was a hand built 1911 based on a norinco. The frame an slide were soft according to my builder, he had both slide and frame industrial hard chromed. That was in 1992 carried that thing for thousands of hours, and many thousands of rounds, no wear on frame or slide and not a speck of rust ever. Just a thought.
Last edited by fordwannabe on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

The Para Ordnance pistols have a "Nitride" finish which has a beautiful black, high sheen and very corrosion-resistant finish, so I am told.

Their premium line, like their "Performance", "Premium", "Limited", and "Black Ops," handguns, use something called "Ionbond PVD/DLC." It provides an even further step up in corrosion protection and low friction. I have not put my Black Ops .45 to the rust test, but It sure is a beauty.

I for one would be much more likely to purchase a handgun with a traditional looking finish than something in desert brown, or camo, or whatever, at least for civilian use. So I would suspect that your handgun would enjoy a higher resale value if you stick to something like black chrome or stainless or black "Nitride" finishes to protect it.

Back in 2005 or earlier, my Colt Mk IV Series 70 .45 rode with me across the U.S. from Tennessee in a fast road trip during the summer, tucked against my sweaty midsection. This was before I altered my IWB holster by adding a flap of elkhide to the inside that touches my skin. There was no time to shop for gun oil and my prized handgun arrived in California with the beginnings of rust, inside and out.

I sent it to Colt in January of 2006 to have it reblued back to the original "Royal Blue" finish. I started sending e-mails in April, since It had been promised for approximately 35 days to finish. The cost was $255 plus shipping. It now costs around $400.

My records do not reflect how long it took to get the gun back, but it was about half a year.

Then, about a year after I had the handgun, I had problems at the range. A local gunsmith found that there was still rust, or some had developed, on the trigger and sear assembly. I don't know how much Colt takes a gun apart, but I had to attribute this problem to them, since I don't leave my guns out in the rain or any such nonsense, and I live in a moderate climate.

I have a beautiful old 6" .357 Python - once a duty gun in the mid 60's when revolvers were still standard carry. Its beautiful finish is now depleted a bit at the muzzle and cylinder area from holster wear. But I will wait until I find a truly competent gunsmith around here who can reproduce the Royal Blue finish. I have been told that this special finish is nothing more than extremely careful and expert preparation with very fine metal finishing before applying the regular blueing chemical(s).

I am not currently keen on paying huge prices AND putting any premium firearm in the mail. One never knows what is next, like if the Feds decide to pass a "public health law" and grab my shooting iron up for some reason before Colt mails it back to me - 6 months later!

This is not crazy "Conspiracy Theory": I still remember how the corrupt Obama Administration sent agents to Gibson guitar - whose principals supported the Republican Party - and confiscated their wood, temporarily putting them out of business. It was later disclosed as a trumped up charge dealing with some alleged tariff issues emanating from Brazil, where the hardwood was purchased. Of course, nobody in the Government was held accountable for this illegal seizure.

That's my two cents, with a little story behind it.

Edited for typos.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

years ago I bought a bare para frame, back when they sold such a thing, and built up a pistol! It had no finish on it :D
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I had my 45 ACP "Officer's Model" Parkerized for a nominal cost, and it has been very durable.

When I want to have 12+1 rounds of 45 ACP on-tap in a small package, I pack that one for CCW.

I'll see if I can get a picture on here bypassing PhotoSuckit...

If it works.....the P-12 that is Parkerized is in the middle of the upper left group, between a full-size 1911 (P-14) and a Beretta 25 in 22 LR.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JohndeFresno wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:12 pm...
I for one would be much more likely to purchase a handgun with a traditional looking finish than something in desert brown, or camo, or whatever, at least for civilian use. So I would suspect that your handgun would enjoy a higher resale value if you stick to something like black chrome or stainless or black "Nitride" finishes to protect it.
I'm not into "cool" colors. My 1911 is SS over Black/Blue. I think matte black, or maybe a grey, would be fine. As for the value of the gun? It's a Metro Arms.
JohndeFresno wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:12 pm....

I am not currently keen on paying huge prices AND putting any premium firearm in the mail. One never knows what is next, like if the Feds decide to pass a "public health law" and grab my shooting iron up for some reason before Colt mails it back to me - 6 months later! ...
This. I'm willing to drive a couple hundred miles to do a FTF and avoid shipping altogether. I'm already talking to a place in Sheridan and another in Casper. But I really hope I can find someone closer.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!