Browning Citori shotgun question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Browning Citori shotgun question

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

looking for opinions:

Looking for a new shotgun for doves and Im not impressed with the new guns out there,my cash limit is around 700.00
I found this used "local" Browning Citori 12 ga. 30 in. barrels chokes are fixed full/mod. I can probably get for 600.00 or 650.00

Any shotgun experts think this is a fair deal?

Thanks
Last edited by Mossyoak1957 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning Citori shotgun question

Post by Pete44ru »

That's an excellent buy, IMHO (valued @ about $400 under market)

It appears to be in good shape (like, 95%), and might do for doves.

If it was mine, I'd likely open one of the chokes to Improved Cylinder for an IC/Full or IC/Mod combo - most likely IC/Mod. (YMMV)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd say that is an older Citori, no choke tubes, worth every penny. I'm not sure if there enough meat in the barrels to have tubes installed but if it were me and there was I'd put tubes in it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You can probably get Briley thin wall tubes to work in it . Although having Briley do the work and getting four or so tubes will likely cost $300 . If I bought it I'd shoot it as is . I've got a very very nice little Parker VHE 20 gauge that's full and modified and I do very well with it in the Dove field or skeet field .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Citori's are workhorse shotguns,, like the energizer bunny, they keep on going. It is one of the most prolific O/U's on skeet and sporting clays fields because of it's dependability and handling. If you can live with the chokes great, but Briley can also open your full to imp cyl( for $95) which would give you IC/Mod which makes for a very versatile gun. Just a thought and you won't get into expensive shipping as there is no restrictions on shipping just the barrels to Briley.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

One problem, minor though is if you have the Full choke ( top barrel) opened to I/C then if you want to shoot the open choke first then you have to select the top first, not a huge deal I know but top barrel first leads to more felt recoil. Yeah I know it's not much but as a competitive shotgun shooter I look at it as a fatigue thing.
Now are you going to notice this blasting doves? Not so much.

I am much more a fan of fixed chokes, IMO better patterns BUT the long tubes on the market now are better.

If this were going to be my new bird gun I would go ahead and send the barrels off for tubes. It just gives you so much more versatility to tailor your gun to the game you are shooting/ hunting... Maybe even spring for forcing cone removal, better patterns and recoil reduction.

I shoot Olympic Trap, I have shot this religiously since 1983. I started shooting Remington 3200's, went to new Belgian Browning and finally to a Perazzi. My Perazzi is bottom barrel factory choke tube, I use an I/C for my first shot and the factory fixed choke of .042" constriction or what equals extra full. Olympic trap is a 2 shot game and there are times when that extra full really shines!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Jump on it. Book for 100% is about $1400.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

I'd like more open chokes for a dove gun.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Opening the chokes cost's money.

If for doves, 1/4 and 1/2 seems a reasonable compromise.

Otherwise screw in chokes.

Just my thoughts, Mark
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I would rather have IC and Mod in a double. I also rather have a 20 to reduce size and weight. But for that money, I would jump on it. I might would cut and tube the barrels later or just open one or both chokes. Under $700 for a major brand O/U is a steal these days.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

UPDATE:
Well I passed on the Browning ...I know .......I know....some of you will say I'm nuts and that's ok.
I bought a new Remington 11-87 in 20 gage w/3 chokes and by God it has REAL walnut wood on it...lol.

Took it to the range today fed it everything from 2 3/4 low brass target loads..... pheasant loads...... 3 inch turkey loads .....shot target loads together.....shot turkey loads together.....also mixed target loads,small game loads and Turkey loads in the magazine shot them .....gun worked flawlessly patterns were excellent at 40 yards

Looks like a Dove killing machine to me:
https://www.remington.com/sites/default ... k=LTbLgeeV

hunted years ago with a 20 ga, and loved it,that's why I had so many kinds of ammo to test this 11-87 out,

Just wanted to stick with what worked for me in the past.

can't wait for Sept!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good for you Mossy! I'd much rather you bought something that you WANTED over buying on a whim because of a low price! Good luck with it!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

+1 to what Gunny Mack said. I'm sure the 11-87 will work well for you. :D
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Batman1939 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:24 pm +1 to what Gunny Mack said. I'm sure the 11-87 will work well for you. :D
Thanks guys!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Those older fixed choke Citoris don't bring what the newer ones do on the used market. I wouldn't worry about missing any deal. That 11/87 will serve you well.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I gave my old 870 Wingmaster to my son and had it professionally fitted to his right handed-left eye dominant shooting. It is fixed at modified choke. Some of those older guns are so good that they can be passed down and still look great. Your 11-87 will probably last longer than you will.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I have a nice wood stocked Ruger Hawkeye in 270 that I got as my one rifle for everything and was looking for a nice bird gun to compliment it. Settled on a 20Ga Wingmaster Remington 870. It is beautiful and light. Only thing I don't like that I didn't notice until after I got it home was that there are teeth marks on one part of the magazine tube exposing bare metal. Would send it back to Remington but am afraid that it would get lost or damaged worse in transit. One of these days I will get it fixed. Doesn't effect function but it bugs me. Have yet to take any fur or feathers with it but hope to one day. To me the 20 seems like the perfect size for being light weight to carry all day and not beat you up.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.