Anybody here between DEN and Big Sky

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Anybody here between DEN and Big Sky

Post by Tycer »

Will be driving from Denver to BS and then back. Laying over in Jackson Hole 9/7 and 9/14.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Anybody here between DEN and Big Sky

Post by Blaine »

Jackson Hole? Bring your tolerance for idiots and awful traffic, and your wallet. :o ;) I didn't like it there.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:53 pm Jackson Hole? Bring your tolerance for idiots and awful traffic, and your wallet. :o ;) I didn't like it there.
Got a recommendation as to where to stay between Denver and big sky? Looks like Jackson hole is about it. Unless I want to camp…
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Tycer wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:11 pm
BlaineG wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:53 pm Jackson Hole? Bring your tolerance for idiots and awful traffic, and your wallet. :o ;) I didn't like it there.
Got a recommendation as to where to stay between Denver and big sky? Looks like Jackson hole is about it. Unless I want to camp…
Idaho Falls? Or around there?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Tycer wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:11 pm
If your going up 191 I'd stay in Pinedale,WY.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Many of us here in Wyoming wish Jackson was not even part of the state. Not sure what you are looking for in the way of camping----RV, tent or other, but Jackson will be very crowded, high cost and over rated. If you can be more specific about what kind of camping you want to do, I can give you some ideas. Close to Jackson, the Afton valley is very nice, Palasaides in Idaho might be good, but probably crowded, as mentioned, Pinedale is a good choice. I spent a good part of my life in SW Wyoming and know the area well. Fishing, fossils, peace and quiet with nice National Forest camping can be found in lots of places in SW without the crowds of Jackson. Plus a lot of National Forest campgrounds around Jackson will require hard sided camping due to bears. Cody is a decent choice, as is Lander. The North Fork of the Shoshone out of Cody heading to the East Gate of Yellowstone has nice cabins and some decent food at some of the lodges. Many National Forest campgrounds on the North Fork also require hard sided camping. After that, I have to admit Jackson is a beautiful place but it is really the poorest representative of what Wyoming is really about and would be my last choice as a stop in Wyoming.
Jon,
Cody, Wyoming.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Should have mentioned plenty of nice hotels, motels, lodges in Pinedale, Lander, and Cody. Plenty to do in those areas also depending on your likes.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I would rather someone beat me with a stick than make me spend a night in Jackson, or even drive through there.

If you go the 191 route, stay in Pinedale and take in the Museum of the Mountain Man. If you get to Cody, figure on two days to see the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, takes a day just to do the firearms wing. If you get to Lander, stay at the Pronghorn Lodge and I'll buy you a cup of coffee. :D
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I'm in Estes Park, CO you're welcome to swing by, then head west via Trail Ridge road, pretty route.
longranger
Levergunner

Post by longranger »

Buffalo is about perfect.
KG7CAF
Levergunner

Post by KG7CAF »

I live in Thermopolis, some clean cheaper motels as well as some nice ones, safari Inn and the Bestwestern are both in HotSprings state Park, still about 100 a night, super8 on edge of town is decent free baths at Hotsprings state park bath house or you can use the water park star plunge, Rafting is real big right now on the Wind river through the canyon some really good rapids, The State Park at Boysen was pretty empty near the canyon at the beginning of the week as well good walleye fishing below the darn or the bighorn river in Thermopolis rainbows and browns, If your heading to I90 in Montana Cody might be best route though, as someone said Buffalo Bill Museum is great , and they are doing the street gunfight reenactments again , and of course the nightly rodeo also in Cody.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

So far you've got Jerry (Lander), Me (Riverton) and KG7AF (Thermop) and Jon (Cody) in your general line of travel

I'm starting a roadtrip to MPLS on the 15th, but should be around otherwise on the 12/13th unless I get called in to support an emergency Surgery...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I'm in Cody..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...