New (looking) 300 Savage brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

New (looking) 300 Savage brass

Post by earlmck »

I check out the "swappin' and sellin" section over on "Castboolits" fairly regularly. Last week a fellow was selling a nice chunk of 300 Savage brass which I jumped on. You know how that is -- you figure most of it will be once-fired and maybe there will be a few that have been reloaded. This stuff was partly once-fired and the rest was never-fired. So color me happy with the purchase. To treat the fired stuff I splooshed them down with my home-made spray lube (that mix of Hornady Unique lube dissolved in Isopropyl Alchohol that we have talked about in previous threads) and ran them through the size die. Last week I had done the same with my stash of W-W 30/30 cases and when I washed them in my trusty tumbler with the Dawn dish soap I discovered that the Dawn doesn't take off my wonderful spray lube. Turned out though that a mix of the wife's "pure Castile liquid soap" and the Dawn detergent did a pretty fair job. (Yes, the combo of soap/detergent did much better than either detergent alone or soap alone).

With my batch of newly sized 300's I was going to wash them in my soap/detergent mix, but then since there were only about 120 of 'em I thought I'd see how they did in the Harbor Freight Sonic cleaner. And turns out the sonic with Lyman sonic cleaner mix did a good job of removing the size lube and the cases were looking pretty good but I had sort of forgot I had the heater on and when I remembered I had clean cases to remove -- well that stuff was too danged hot to handle without me hunting up the rubber gloves. You other fellers know how easy it is to forget these little details. So I just turned off the Sonic and thought I'd get them out "later". Turns out that "later" was about three days later, and by then my clean cases had a funny mottled look from sitting there so long. Which doesn't really bother me too much but I already had the little tumbler sitting out that I had been intending to use originally, so just for grins I loaded the mottled sonic-cleaned things in there with a dab of Dawn and let her rip for about an hour. Man! I never before had cases come out of any of my clean treatments any where near this shiny. I am not a fellow who really tries to get my cases shiny; clean is plenty good enough for me. But if I ever want to get 'em really new-looking, this sonic/tumble treatment is one way to do it! (Unfired left, Combo-cleaned right)
ShinyBrass8698.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New (looking) 300 Savage brass

Post by Old No7 »

Wow, that's a lot of work -- but even if they don't shoot any better, they'll at least LOOK better and be EASIER to find when laying empty in among the fall leaves -- as you bend over to pick it up on your way to a nice 10-pointer that is down for the count...

OK now... Let's see the rifle you'll use them in!

It's a Savage levergun I hope!!! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: New (looking) 300 Savage brass

Post by AJMD429 »

Old No7 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:31 pm Wow, that's a lot of work -- but even if they don't shoot any better, they'll at least LOOK better and be EASIER to find when laying empty in among the fall leaves -- as you bend over to pick it up on your way to a nice 10-pointer that is down for the count...

OK now... Let's see the rifle you'll use them in!

It's a Savage levergun I hope!!! :wink:

Old No7
Man, I LIKE the way you think....!!!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "