hammer thumb extention might be causing trouble?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

hammer thumb extention might be causing trouble?

Post by remshooter »

Bought a like new (maybe never fired) 1983 or there abouts AE 94 back in NOV ,it fired factory ammo ok ,worked up a load ,and it fired all of them OK ,loaded up same ammo,same componets ,then added scope and thumb extention ,now it wont fire the ammo ,only put light dents in primers ,did not have the allen wrench with me to take it off ,would a thumb ext. add enuff weight to slow hammer down enuff to cause light hits in a rebounding hammer?
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: hammer thumb extention might be causing trouble?

Post by Hawkeye2 »

It shouldn't add enough mass to give any problems. Is there a chance it's coming up against the receiver or scope as it comes to rest stopping the hammer just a little short or could it be rubbing against something as the hammer falls slowing it down a little?
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

More than likely a combination of dry metal surfaces weak old springs and fighting the hammer extension. I would
1. Pop the buttstock off clean and oil any surface to surface areas.
2. Inspect for any obvious stuff blocking the workings.
3. As a last resort put a spring kit in it.
Did you shoot any spray in the firing pin hole in the bolt?
Are you SURE the primers were fully seated? Did any fire after a second attempt?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Does it have a crossbolt safety?
Any chance cbs is not fully off? I have one (and only one) ya gotta give it a real push to make sure its off.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by remshooter »

no safty of any kind ,does not seem to be hitting scope ,it did pop one round out of six ,but only after hitting it 8 times ,my marlin 336 will pop off same ammo,will try what you all said ,and take diffferant ammo next time ,and take ext. off,will post results
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If it fired the same ammo before the hammer extension and now won't, then it's not the ammo. There is most likely an interference problem between the hammer extension and some other part.

Remove extension, try shooting. Does it shoot ? Yes or No.
If yes problem identified, fix it.

Check the scope mounting parts. Are they interfering with the locking bolt or some other part of the action?

Keep checking each item you've changed or added, one thing at a time.

You'll find it pretty quick.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Listen to Mr. Miller, a process of elimination will soon reveal the culprit without the need to do any heavy thinking. :lol:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IIRC, the factory issue offset hammer spur (shown below) for Model 94AE's is straight, and simply screws into the factory-prep D/T'd hole in the side of the hammer.

The factory issue offset spur should have zero contact issues with the bolt/receiver, and NO ignition issues.

I'm thinking that someone's installed an aftermarket offset hammer (like an Uncle Mike's, shown below) spur on there, which type DO often interfere with ignition because they're installed too far towards the hammer face - which is remedied via loosening the attachment setscrew & relocating the offset spur.

My opinion, however, is worth exactly what you've paid for it.............. :roll: