Black Powder Compressing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Black Powder Compressing

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I have been told in the past that you can compress black powder in a .44-40 case using the case expander die, which is necessary when loading cartridges with soft lead bullets. I believed that I understood this, but continued on with doing my own cobbled together way - which was to use unsized brass, expand the case mouth, and then after pouring the powder in, to compress it to the proper depth by then seating a jacketed bullet. (I then just pull the jacketed bullet out, because its really just a tight slip-fit because the cases have not been sized at all.)
This seems to work just fine despite the agricultural nature of my solution, because I have at least one good BP load (with a smokeless primer) that is quite accurate. But then I thought I would try to compress powder with the expander die, and I looked at it and realised I had no clue of how to do that. To be honest, I probably don't need to, because I am already making accurate ammo (at least some of the time :lol: ) But maybe its easier or quicker or simpler or better.

How do you do that? Do you stick something in the die and then run a case up into that, thereby compressing the powder? How is this done?

I am dumber than I thought I was, which is always a surprise to me, considering how dumb I was last time I discovered it.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Black Powder Compressing

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I made a powder compression die with a brass rod that will just slip inside the case mouth of a neck sized case.
You could make up a brass rod to use with your regular seating die that would slip inside the resized case and use the same method you use now. I only compress about 1/8" in the 40-65 and 45-70 so there is not that much pressure placed on my 30:1
Bullets to deform them. I
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Does the Buffalo Arms 24 inch drop tube compress the powder properly?
https://www.buffaloarms.com/brass-oak-d ... -droptube2

I have used it with smokeless powder in ammo for my .405 wcf and .45-90 for years .
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

crs wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:05 pm Does the Buffalo Arms 24 inch drop tube compress the powder properly?
https://www.buffaloarms.com/brass-oak-d ... -droptube2

I have used it with smokeless powder in ammo for my .405 wcf and .45-90 for years .
I use a drop tube and compress about 1/8". My tests indicate you can get almost 12% more Goex
2f in the same space using a drop tube 30" long when loading the .40-65 . That and light compression makes it shoot like a
Dream.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Since you only want a 1/16"-1/8" of compression, simply using the projectile to compress the powder never gave sufficient resistance to deform even my pure pb bullets. I now don't use ANY compression on my .40-90SBN rounds, as I never gained any accuracy when doing so. And I don't use any in my .45Colt rounds either. I do use a waxed card wad however, but mostly as a gas-check to keep the gases off the base of the bullet.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'm with Griff on this. I only compress about 1/8th inch and use a card wad in the 44-40 reserving the drop tube for 45-70 and 45-90. In the big boys I notice a difference in fouling and sound. I never use the drop tube on shot shells either.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS