Peep sights for Rossi 24" rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Peep sights for Rossi 24" rifle?

Post by gundownunder »

Need some help sorting out sights for my brothers, new to him, Rossi rifle. It's a 24" octagonal barreled 92 in .357, which predates the wingnut safety.
It currently has a set of front and rear firesights, but these are too course for long range accuracy and don't have the correct height for ranges under about 150 yds.
He will be using it to shoot CLAS out to 200 yds so the sights need to be manufactured for that rifle and need to be fully adjustable. Lyman make a 17 globe front sight to fit, and both Lyman and Marble make a tang sight to fit, but I have no idea what heights would need to be ordered. Also, both Midway and Brownells list them as out of stock.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Peep sights for Rossi 24" rifle?

Post by Pete44ru »

Image Image

2 D/T 6-48 holes, one atop each receiver siderail + 1 Williams FP-94SE receiver sight = Good to 200yards, using the issue height front sight blade.

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Both my 24" barreled Rossis sport Williams receiver sights, but of the style built for the m92 or 94 Win with holes in the left side of the receiver. They work fine though for my aging eyes I have replaced the front sights with green fiber-optics of equivalent heights to factory. For your brother's use I would be tempted to mount a tang sight, which will probably require drill & tap for one hole although I know some folks get away with just using the sight attached with the single bolt through the buttstock. I'll bet that tang sight gives enough range of adjustment that you don't need a different height front sight (I'd fight before I'd give up that fiber-optic front!)
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Back before PhotoBucket ate my photos, I had a great post on aperture sights.

I'll try to re-post it someday. :|

I have enough OCD that all my 24" lever-gun have rear tang sights (Taurus brand), and globe front sights (Lyman brand). The 24" guns are mostly used for target shooting.

All my 20" lever-guns have Williams FP rears and if they are Marlins I keep the 1/16" gold near front; the others get a Williams Firesight. Those are 'hunting guns'.

The 16" ones all have Marbles Bullseye rears and either a blade or fiber optic front; those are 'woods-walking' or home-protection guns and the Bullseye sights are FAST to use.

I do have a couple lever-guns with Burris Fastfire-II rears and LaserMax pistol lasers as well as a rail for a light; they are the ones to grab if something screams in the night (meaning a coyote is eating a goat or 'coon is eating a chicken). Subsonic 45 Colt is nice at night plenty of thump, and minimal noise or flash. Trajectory just fine for night-varmint ranges, and safer if one misjudges backstop.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

The Williams FP is not suitable because CLAS rules require that the sight be made for the rifle, and as the Rossi is not D&T for a receiver sight it cannot be used. The rifle already has the second hole in the tang so a tang sight would be the logical answer. How good are the Taurus tang sight and are they click adjustable for elevation as this will need to be regularly changed from between 40 yds to 200 yds. Would anybody know what height we need for both the tang sight and the Lyman 17 front sight. If anyone knows of a supplier that has the rear sights currently in stock, as both Brownell and Midway are listed as out of stock and I'm not familiar with other suppliers that could ship out of the US.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Taurus tang sight I had didn't have a reliably repeatable elevation adjustment.

The new Marble's tang sight (I bought for a different rifle) did.

The proper sight heights can be calculated via measuring the height above the bore C/L for both front and rear or tang sights - with the rear sight set in the middle of it's elevation adjustment range.

Both front/rear sights should be of equal distances from the bore C/L; but the actual sight heights will vary due to different distances from the bore C/L to each sight's base.

I usually measure the rear sight's height above the bore C/L first, then the front sight's, allowing for half the bore size plus barrel wall thickness at the front sight.

SO, the correct front sight height = the height of the rear sight from the bore C/L, minus .178" (half the .357 bore size), minus the particular barrel's wall thickness @ the muzzle.

For example:

If the rear sight height is 1.50"
and
if half the bore size is 1.78"
and
if the barrel wall thickness is .125"

The sight height calculation would be: 1.78" (1/2 bore) + .125" (bbl wall) = .303" subtracted from 1.50" (rear sight height) = a front sight height (above the barrel top) of (approx.) 1.2"

For a relatively long range zero with a cartridge like the .357, I'd recommend a front sight height about .10" shorter than the calculation, if the rear sight elevation adjustment range isn't wide enough to achieve zero at the desired distance.