Who shoots after Cataract Surgery? Advice, Please

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Who shoots after Cataract Surgery? Advice, Please

Post by JohndeFresno »

I will be having some laser cataract removal with its permanent lens replacement - the aging peepers need a little help.

Of those who have gone through this, I need help with decision making on the type of lens that I will ask to be implanted.

I understand that there is a standard lens replacement protocol:
1) Common - Far vision restored, but you must buy drugstore reading glasses for that activity
2) You can opt for near-sight vision without glasses, such as reading and using handguns, but far (rifle range) vision is less
3) Combination lenses that allow your brain to juggle the two as with some contact lenses (This is not for me)

My goal is to be able to see far enough with rifle iron (peep) sights to not limit myself to scopes, but also shoot a handgun accurately.

Specifically, I now carry a pistol with a short sight radius - the S&W M&P Shield 9mm. For certain reasons, it is imperative that I am as accurate with that as possible, at 5 feet to 25 yards. Right now, with practice, I am pretty confident with the piece.

Has anyone here asked for a special modification in your static lens implant to work with handguns and rifles? Or is the standard setting (#1) good enough so that you don't have to quickly put on reading glasses to see the front sight of your handgun?

In a preliminary discussion with the eye doctor, he stated that I could always move to a laser sight on the handgun. I have this on my 1911 .45 ACP Colt, but I don't want to add bulk and weight onto the tiny Shield unless absolutely necessary, since concealment is essential where I live.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: Who shoots after Cataract Surgery? Advice, Please

Post by 765x53 »

I had lens replacement for cataracts in both eyes in my early forty's. ( I will always blame the inferred missile guidance system on the Sheridan AR/AAV.)
I have always worn no-line trifocal safety glasses since. Because my former employer provided them free, I like keeping my eyes protected and I like being able to see anything I want all the time.
Hand guns and iron rifle sights are no problem. It is just a matter of shifting my head slightly. Seeing the crosshairs in a scope is a little more trouble but it can be done if your lenses are not so large that they bind against the stock. I actually have an easier time with my scoped Lee/Enfields because of the low comb.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I had the surgery 3 years ago, got the expensive lenses that are in focus from near to far and believe it was worth every cent, well actually dollars, lots of them. I was almost completely blind in my left eye and now my vision in that eye is slightly better than in my right. No issues with shooting at all, now I can shoot without glasses which I couldn't do 25 years ago. I do need 1.25 reading glasses from about 11" in.

[size=150]Forgot to mention that I had both eyes done.[/size]
Last edited by Hawkeye2 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks loads, Hawkeye.

I don't even know what those lenses are, but I will ask about them.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Had both eyes done so I did not need glasses to drive.One eye corrected to 20/25 and other to 20/30.This is because of stigytisims.Please have a long talk with your dr about all aspects of before and after.Follow the after surgery directions to a tee.I can see better at nite without my glasses because of glare.I can hit steel rams with a .22 at 100 yds 3 out of 5 sometimes 5 for 5 with my single vision glasses I WEAR FOR SHOOTING AND HUNTING.gET A GOOD PAIR OF POLORIZES SUNGLASSES ALSO..gOOD lUCG.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I had both eyes done 5 years ago, each about 2 weeks apart - my co-pay was about $450 each.

I had NO lens specific conversation, as I was ignorant of different types being available.

No pain or other complications.

I now only need glasses for reading small and/or light printing - or reading in dim light.

The brilliant color correction afterward was astounding.

I can effectively still shoot my handguns, shotguns, and my peep-sighted & scoped rifles, w/o any sighting issues.

I can now see distant details (deer antler specifics, shot placement, various targets, etc) with much better clarity.

I yam a happy camper. 8)

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks, Levergunners -
Your posts are very helpful. It is starting to sound like the "common" lens is the one to ask for. Perhaps, as technology constantly evolves, the standard lens is now the best one for almost every activity.

My wife just completed one eye and is doing the other next week, and she has also been surprised how white the whites are. She has worn glasses or contacts for years. After some burning the first day, her only trouble is not being used to carry on without her specs!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hi John -

There was another post on a similar topic just recently. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=69083

I was the one outlier in my family; everyone wore glasses or used contacts, and I didn't need any help until I hit 50. I went from nothing to bifocals immediately. Within a year they weren't working. Yep - it was cataracts. I had the surgery and had multi-focal lenses put in. This is not where one eye has a lens for short distances and the other for long, hoping the brain adjusts (I didn't think that would work for me), but rather, where the lens itself is made up concentric circles that vary that allow you to see at different focal planes.

It made sense for me to try this, even with the additional cost, since I was relatively young for cataract surgery (51). They said there was less than a 2% chance it wouldn't work completely. Guess what percentage I ended in? :roll:

I should have just gone with what insurance paid for and got a good pair of reading glasses. I had the surgery in January 2016, and I'm still trying to get it sorted out. Part of it is scar tissue, part if cloudiness I still have, part if just my poor medical luck. I can see the bricks on my neighbor's house across the street clearly if it is bright outside, but have trouble with closer distances. And the warning they give you that your night vision will be impacted is NO JOKE. If it is dark at all, I lose a tremendous amount of clarity. I now carry a flashlight with me at all times.

I'm happy I had the surgery, because the rapid onset would have left me legally blind by now. I just wish I had taken the simpler path.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

So sorry, YK.

I guess the upside is that many thousands of readers over the next few years will stumble upon this thread, and your unfortunate journey will be a warning to others - think thrice before taking that path. It certainly hits the bullseye for me.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'll be posting this here and on my similar thread.

I'm just 4 days since my left eye surgery and 3 weeks from the right eye. My right eye is about 20-30 and my left is tack sharp at distance. I'm a lefty. I've sighted my rifles and found that I see barrel sights very well and my beloved peeps like an eagle eye kid! I chose the standard lens and happy I did. I got cancer and dropping thousands on fancy lenses seemed like patching the canoe just before it goes over the falls!

Here is something I learned. Years ago I had lasik correction that was a roaring success. I was an ultralight pilot and could easily see gophers on the runway at quite a distance. When I went for evaluation recently for cataract lenses I was told they needed my old numbers pre-lasik for a a wel designed lens. My info was long gone. If you have had corrective eye surgery track down these numbers and file them away. This explains my 20-30 for the first eye. I have no idea what numbers they are referring to but sure wish I knew this years ago.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Bob,

Thanks.

Now when pistol shooting - can you see the front sight without reader glasses?

I am already looking into adding a Crimson Trace laser and getting the appropriate holster: Concealment Express IWB Kydex for S&W Shield w/ Red Laser. If I can't see the front sight, I'll have to drop another $200-265 for the combo, depending upon what prices are offered. Right now it the best price is at Amazon.

Then, at Crimson Trace they have a green laser and Kydex holster combo for $329. The green laser is much more visible, but more costly, and lasts only a bit over 2 hours of use versus 4 hours with the red. I believe that Crimson Trace, however, gives a free lifetime supply of batteries with this item as they have done with other laser sights.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

John, sadly I only own a nice older air pistol. Legally using a handgun here sucks.

I'll dig out my CZ breakbarrel air pistol and test a little later. It has nice sights and you have ignited my interest. I hardly used it because I realized after buying it I couldn't see the sights worth a darn.

Bob
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Surprise, surprise! John, I can easily sight the pistol sights. Both front and rear sight are in focus at arms length. The target out a window is focused as well. If my vision remains like this I may have to upgrade my PAL to restricted and get a nice little K22 for the range :-).

I'm finding that the loss of natural focus might benefit a shooter. With these plastic lenses set for one focus my vision has more depth of field. The target seems sharper than expected when focused on the front sight. With my 94 and the Lyman 66 the front sight is sharp and targets at a reasonable distance are nearly in sharp focus. Be aware that I've been advised that it can take awhile for the vision to stabilize, up to 6-8 weeks. I'll test it out with some shooting in awhile and report back.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thank you for that report, Bob.

That is extremely encouraging, even surprising. If one has to produce a handgun in a self-defense scenario, it doesn't make sense to have to search for and fumble with reader glasses. "Spray and pray" does not work in civilian life. The alternative, as stated, is to add a laser and then purchase new holsters for it. Right now, my little Shield 9mm with iron sights is a dandy performer.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I had both eyes done two years ago and spent something like seven thousand dollars to get "accommodating" lenses put in. They were supposed to allow the eyes to adjust for close as well as intermediate and distance. Guess what? They didn't work. They act just like the "default" lenses your insurance will pay for. Know what? That's just fine for handgun and rifle. I can focus down to around 27-28" pretty clearly with these lenses working just like the non-accommodating lenses do. Not quite as sharp as when I was young, but still pretty good. I know a couple of guys who got the distance put in their shooting eye and the close in their non-dominant eye. They both had ZERO trouble getting used to it. I think your brain adjusts to that a lot easier than you think. It's getting to be more and more common. Good luck with whatever you do.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks, Joe.

My brain has not always worked out so well - otherwise I would not have made some of the stupid decisions that I can remember. Thankfully, not as many as are made daily by several of our esteemed politicians.

And as I "mature," I suspect that my brain will eventually be running at its max specs just to get me through the day, let alone make decisions on two different images in a stressful defense situation. So I have decided to settle on one identical set of lenses. So far, it looks encouraging to accept the new normal setting.