Winchester 94 AE Trapper .357 Mag.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 94 AE Trapper .357 Mag.

Post by 65bee »

Just got back from my local dealer and he showed me a 94 AE Trapper in .357 which he just got in. Gun is 98%+. I really liked it, but have never owned one of the angle-eject models, as I didn't consider any 94 made after '64 worth looking at. Anyway, the little rifle appeals to me, but did a little checking online and found that it seems there were' issues' with these guns in the .357 caliber, specifically feeding problems. Can any of the forum members elaborate on this? The dealer is asking $600. for it. I think they must be somewhat scarce as I can't remember ever seeing another.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94 AE Trapper .357 Mag.

Post by Tycer »

The 357 magnum cartridge is too small in diameter and length for the 94 frame and additional parts were needed to make them work. One of those parts is a thin metal tab attached to the lever end to keep the cartridge in side-to-side alignment. It will break. Also the cartridge stop on the end of the lever link is of a different geometry and may break. I've replaced three of the little metal tabs and welded up two lever links. YMMV. I will no longer consider owning a 94 in 357 and LOVE my two 357 Rossi 92s. The 92 platform is perfect for the 357.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've got 94AE trapper but it's. 30-30. Great little gun except for the stinking cross bolt safety.

As far as 357 goes, I think I'd stick with a Marlin 1894 or a Winchester 1892 or clone.

I have a Winchester (Miroku) 1873 that is great (a wee bit more pricey) but it is OAL sensitive.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Thanks for the info. Kind of confirms my feelings back in the day when these 'wanna-be' Winchesters were being put together. Guess I'll stick with the pre-64 stuff, and even better, the pre-42 guns. I hate that rebounding hammer anyway, makes me think I'm shooting one of the old Stevens single-barrel shotguns.
C Lee Nickel
Levergunner

Post by C Lee Nickel »

I've got a 94 AE Trails End in .44 mag that I bought new in 97-98 and it has been a great gun. It probably rates as my favorite shooter next to the .22's, and it's been shot thousands of times in both .44 mag and .44 special combined. I've had no issues with it whatsoever, and I'd put it up against any pre-64 for fit, finish, and overall quality. It has both the cross bolt safety and rebounding hammer, but after 20 years, I don't notice either one. I just went and pulled it out of the cabinet to see if it even had the rebounding hammer, because I'd forgotten all about it. The one you found for $600 is sure in the ballpark price wise. .357 model 94's can go for well over that on Gunbroker, then you have to add in shipping and fees on top of that.

That said, I have no experience with the .357 in a rifle, and given what Tycer said about it needing extra parts to fill the space for the smaller cartridge, that it definitely a consideration.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I have a 94 AE Trapper in .357. I love it. I've shot a few hundred rounds through it and never had a problem. I've fed it .357 and .38 special in flat points, round nose, jacketed, mixed and matched and never experienced a feeding problem. I have several rifles, bolts, levers , EBR...but my Trapper is what I take on trips and camping. I removed the crossbolt safety and installed a plug. Recoil is almost non existent. I see them on gun sites going for over $800. Heck, if you don't like it you would at least make your money back...or more. :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have heard the issues with the long-action 94 in 357 versus the more-appropriate short-action 92, and went with the 92. Since my guns tend to get used rather than 'invested in', I figured why get a $900 gun when a $400 one will shoot just as well, not depreciate in value if I scratch it up some, and will provide me plenty of shootin' fun. In fact, I got TWO Rossi 92's (if I recall correctly, a 45 Colt 24" Octagonal and a 357 Mag 16" stainless) for what I would have spent on a Winchester, and haven't regretted it. Now I do have a Winchester 94 in 375 Winchester, and it is one of the most beautiful and well-made guns I own, but the lowly Rossi's are nice farm/ranch guns.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Mine was fine and it shot just fine without the little tab.
The tab is to allow one to top the magazine up. It does not stop shooting.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I own a Henry Big Boy Steel in .357Mag (16" bbl), it eats everything including .38spl's...bought it new for $540-ish. Owned a Winchester 94AE in .44Mag, was the worse levergun I have ever owned. It was made in 2006 just before they closed the factory, which could account for the lousy build... :)

PS -- if it were me I would BUY that Win-94 in .357Mag, just because...
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I bought my 94AE Trapper in 357 Magnum new in I think the final year of production (2005?). Maybe I've just been lucky but I've put hundreds of rounds through this gun, and it has been 100% reliable, and smooth as silk. I know the model 92 a better platform for launching short 357 Magnum rounds from but at the time I got my hands on several thousand rounds of 38 Special, and 357 Magnum rounds from a friends defunct indoor shooting range. I needed (wanted) an inexpensive firearm to burn up this ammo. The model 94AE Trapper with stained birchwood stock (Wrangler) was selling for $230.00. AS far a size of action the 92 is just slightly longer than the 94 action so handiness of size a moot point in my opinion. The two stage lever not popular in CAS circles but for me and my uses it's plenty fine.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Bulldog87
Levergunner

Post by Bulldog87 »

I owned the 94ae trapper in 357. I loved that rifle. It was very accurate and handled beautifully. But, it had the loading gate issues as described and broke making the rifle usable only as a single shot. I couldn't find a gunsmith able to fix it and couldn't get parts for it anymore(2years ago). I'd pass on the 94ae!

I'm actually in the market for another 357 but not sure who makes the best 357.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Bulldog87 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:21 pm I owned the 94ae trapper in 357. I loved that rifle. It was very accurate and handled beautifully. But, it had the loading gate issues as described and broke making the rifle usable only as a single shot. I couldn't find a gunsmith able to fix it and couldn't get parts for it anymore(2years ago). I'd pass on the 94ae!

I'm actually in the market for another 357 but not sure who makes the best 357.
My vote is for Marlin.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

FWIW there was a frequent poster here some time back that went by the handle of 86er. He had a '94 in .357 that he let his boys use. As I remember the rifle had a very long chamber that would allow a .360 Wesson round to be chambered it it. This might not mean much to you, but for some that are serious handloaders it might. $600 seems a bit stiff to me, I might go $525 for it and see what happens.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

65bee wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:22 pm Just got back from my local dealer and he showed me a 94 AE Trapper in .357 which he just got in. Gun is 98%+. I really liked it, but have never owned one of the angle-eject models, as I didn't consider any 94 made after '64 worth looking at. Anyway, the little rifle appeals to me, but did a little checking online and found that it seems there were' issues' with these guns in the .357 caliber, specifically feeding problems. Can any of the forum members elaborate on this? The dealer is asking $600. for it. I think they must be somewhat scarce as I can't remember ever seeing another.

I had one for a long time and love it. I currently have three AE guns. One in .44mag and two in 30-30 and really love each.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Rusty wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:09 am FWIW there was a frequent poster here some time back that went by the handle of 86er. He had a '94 in .357 that he let his boys use. As I remember the rifle had a very long chamber that would allow a .360 Wesson round to be chambered it it. This might not mean much to you, but for some that are serious handloaders it might. $600 seems a bit stiff to me, I might go $525 for it and see what happens.
I bought mine around 1995-96, it is easy to reload for, and after all these years the accuracy still makes me smile.

It feeds the LBT 180 and the RCBS 180, RCBS 200, Lyman 315, and the 225 XCB, and I have a old Lyman 357443 160 gr that works as well.

Many a pound of AA 9, AA9C and 820 has went thru this rifle.

The ejector has been the weak link for me, I am on my third one, and no replacement if (when) it breaks again.

Mine is not a Trapper it is the Legacy Model .

-----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

J35 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:09 pm
Rusty wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:09 am FWIW there was a frequent poster here some time back that went by the handle of 86er. He had a '94 in .357 that he let his boys use. As I remember the rifle had a very long chamber that would allow a .360 Wesson round to be chambered it it. This might not mean much to you, but for some that are serious handloaders it might. $600 seems a bit stiff to me, I might go $525 for it and see what happens.
I bought mine around 1995-96, it is easy to reload for, and after all these years the accuracy still makes me smile.

It feeds the LBT 180 and the RCBS 180, RCBS 200, Lyman 315, and the 225 XCB, and I have a old Lyman 357443 160 gr that works as well.

Many a pound of AA 9, AA9C and 820 has went thru this rifle.

The ejector has been the weak link for me, I am on my third one, and no replacement if (when) it breaks again.

Mine is not a Trapper it is the Legacy Model .

-----J
I use to plink my legacy 357 over 400 yards for giggles.
It was very accurate and surprised some.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
saddler
Levergunner

Post by saddler »

Had a '94 AE Trapper in .45 Colt until very recently

Here in the UK a lot of lever actions are used in the same way as some people use pistols - hard: for high speed high round count competitions.
(i.e. Bianchi Cup, Police Pistol, Service Pistol, 1500, etc.)

My '94 Trapper got a lot of regular use for a few years but it was never a problem...it fed all profiles & types of bullet that I tried (and I had a preference for the Keith types) I ran it hard & it always did the job. Had no parts issues or breakages. Slicked up the action, did the trigger job & the cosmetic fix to the "wart-hog" safety.
While my '94 was in .45 Colt I've heard similar good things about other shooters here running the .357 versions...as some of us flat out refused to get a RemLin; plus the folk I know with either the older Marlins or the new RemLins could not get them to feed with the Keith bullets = quite ammo sensitive.

I've heard of a couple of small parts suppliers in the US & Canada who are making some of the more commonly required spares - so even IF the '94 you are looking at develops a problem it'll be an easy fix.
Have only just upgraded to a used '92 Trapper take-down...but the "used" may be in name only, as the action is tight & no sign of any usage at all...& I mean ANY sign of use.
The other "but" is I can only get 6 rounds in the tube - my '94 took a lot more than that - so I may be sitting on the '92 as a safe queen & getting the '94 back from the dealer.

See if you can get the shop to drop the price by a few bucks...they are great little guns.