Another Range day with the 73 .44-40

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Another Range day with the 73 .44-40

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Did some more shooting and testing some more black powder loads in my .44, this time with Schuetzen powder. Best group was 2.5 inches with 40 grains and a 210 grain bullet - will have to investigate this one and reshoot it some more...then I decided at the end, to shoot a group with my ''good'' load as a control, just to see if I was shooting as well as I thought I was. This load has smokeless priming under 32 grains of 3F, and was pleased with it once again -

Doesn't look like too much, in this ultra-scoped high powered world, but its a 1.2 inch group shot at 110 yards (shot with standard open sights.)

Its cold down here today, I use a wool blanket over the concrete benchrest top, to save the finish on my rifles, and when I got up to leave it was frozen to the stone, had to rip it off...nothing like up there in the winter I imagine, but thats cold for us South Pacific islanders...

A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Another Range day with the 73 .44-40

Post by Griff »

1.2" @ 110 yards is a MORE than acceptable group. Especially with standard open iron sights! Keep working on that straight BP load. I use plain-based PB bullets with a waxed card "wad" between powder & bullet. Recovered bullets have no damage to base, and recovered wads only show a faint soot stained look to the flame side of the wad.

BTW, why didn't you mention the STOMPING TNZ gave TUSA in the America's Cup? I, myself, was quite pleased with the results!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looks like very good shooting to me.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Whoa! Now that baby is ready to shoot some levergun challenge targets!

And thanks for keeping us posted on your loading saga. I'd say you are getting things well figured out.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

I am back today with some more pure BP loads and Accurate molds 210B bullet...

...I didnt mention the yachting because it didn't seem polite!
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I really enjoy Your posts about this rifle. I hope to have one like it soon but will prolly be a 38-40. Thank You. Jim.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Jim, if I could get one in .38/40 I would get another one in that calibre too...I was just reading the other night how the .38/40 had a better reputation for accuracy than the .44-40 (Feild and Stream article from 1920)
Mark Twain
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Nothing wrong with this load or shooting. I would be pleased.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Fantastic loads and rifle.
Well done you.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

That group is fantastic! I know my old eyes won't duplicate it, even with a tang sight. Have you tried grease cookies? I use my own BP lube concoction and pour it out on wax paper in a shallow pan then cover with another sheet of waxed paper and use a rolling pin to get it exactly the thickness I want, about 3/16". Size, prime and drop powder, then card wad, (to hold the powder in) invert the case and cut the cookie out of the lube, seat the bullet and crimp. Yes, it makes for a lighter load as the powder must be reduced by the amount the lube cookie takes up but this way gets me a nice greasy star on the muzzle.

My "concoction" consists of toilet bowl wax and a little olive oil melted in an old electric percolator to pour into my sizer/luber or onto the waxed paper. Sure a lot cheaper than SPG but probably not as good at avoiding leading.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Just sweet. I can almost smell those empties. What a fine shooting rifle.