I wonder if THIS 10mm '1911' will last...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

I wonder if THIS 10mm '1911' will last...?

Post by AJMD429 »

https://gundigest.com/handguns/hunting- ... 1911-10mm?

It seems like all the other 10mm's except Glock and CZ were not able to handle the round.

Now it is Ruger's turn....

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/ ... /6739.html
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Re: I wonder if THIS 10mm '1911' will last...?

Post by piller »

If it is a 1911 series 70 design, it isn't much different from some ot the Rock Island offerings. It is a powerful cartridge for a handgun, and it seems to cause damage to most designs. I will wait a little more to hear if tje RIA and Ruger designs hold up.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I just read where Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation teamed up with Kimber for a 10mm 1911 style pistol as a bear protection gun. I think its called a Camp Guard. I never shot a 10mm so I don't know how it would perform on a charging grizzly. Probably get off more shots....if time allowed. :?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd say the Ruger will hold up better to the 10mm, only because of the engineering and metallurgy I'm sure they will use in the investment casting( if the cast their 1911 frames)
Friend of mine was stationed in Alaska while in the Air Force. He told me about a guy was charged by a brown bear while salmon fishing. All he had was a Beretta 92. The bear took all 17 rounds and died. Will the 10mm do better? It does well on deer...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

It's a Ruger. It'll be recalled before someone is hurt.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

jdad wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:50 am It's a Ruger. It'll be recalled before someone is hurt.
Yes, it seems to be a pattern with a number of Rugers.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:10 am
jdad wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:50 am It's a Ruger. It'll be recalled before someone is hurt.
Yes, it seems to be a pattern with a number of Rugers.
I've never owned a 10mm, but I want one of these. But, I have learned (mainy with automobiles) not to buy a 1st-year model.

But I want one.

Hasn't most of Ruger's reacll issues been with triggers on their stirker fired pistols? I don't remember hearing any SR1911 issues. Anyone?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

vancelw wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:54 am
I've never owned a 10mm, but I want one of these. But, I have learned (mainy with automobiles) not to buy a 1st-year model.

But I want one.

Hasn't most of Ruger's reacll issues been with triggers on their stirker fired pistols? I don't remember hearing any SR1911 issues. Anyone?[/
[/quote]

..........not yet, just give it some time.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Get the Glock 10mm.....More rounds for Mr. Bear and no problems that I've heard of. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:40 am I'd say the Ruger will hold up better to the 10mm, only because of the engineering and metallurgy I'm sure they will use in the investment casting( if the cast their 1911 frames)
Friend of mine was stationed in Alaska while in the Air Force. He told me about a guy was charged by a brown bear while salmon fishing. All he had was a Beretta 92. The bear took all 17 rounds and died. Will the 10mm do better? It does well on deer...
If the 9mm is a hardcast round it will do about the same as a 10mm on a close up charge. It's more about shot placement and penetration than a few 100 fps. Hunting is a different story.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

and the topic degeneration begins...

Glock vs. 1911.... :roll:

power and penetration....self defense and hunting... :roll: :roll:

It's a neat gun and apparently enough people want it to make it worth manufacturing.

Disclaimer: I own 6 Glocks currently (a few others have passed through my hands. Very few. Most stay with me) and I wouldn't hunt or use the SR1911 in 10mm for self defense. I have far too many choices I prefer in my possession already. Flame on.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

A few years ago I bought a RIA in 10mm and fitted a 40 S&W barrel to it and have fired the 10mm several thousand times without any problems so far. I installed a buffer that helps with the battering that occurs from the heavy recoil. The 10mm really barks when fired indoors and is much more powerful than the heavy 40 loads. The 10mm also is more accurate than the 40 in my opinion especially with cast bullets. The only downside to the 10mm is the cost of brass compared to the 40 or 9mm for that matter but if I was travelling in bear country I would not feel under gunned.

I have 32, 357, 41 and 44 magnum revolvers so I am accustomed to heavy recoil with heavy magnum loads but the 10mm seems to be easier to handle with hot loads some of which can be attributed to the heavier recoil springs.

For those of you considering buying a 10mm make sure the chamber totally enclosed the case head, the Colt Delta doesn't and you risk a head rupture with heavy loads and it bulges the brass so much it is pretty useless.

What got me interested in the 10mm was my quest for a load in the 40 that was accurate, I have 4 3rd gen S&W's that shoot OK but not what I consider 10x at 25's accurate.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:40 am I'd say the Ruger will hold up better to the 10mm, only because of the engineering and metallurgy I'm sure they will use in the investment casting( if the cast their 1911 frames)...
Yes, another vote of confidence for the Ruger.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I didn't find it on their website, but Coonan emailed they are taking names for their 10mm. Specifically designed for the 10mm, not just a rechambered 45.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt