sail trip update and reformat

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

sail trip update and reformat

Post by Grizz »

I am at home in WA now. Made it as far as Nanaimo before turning around, I ran out of time to make it to Southeast before my kids would have come and left. From Arlington, OR to Nanaimo and return to Puget Sound is something around 740 Nautical miles, or roughly the distance from here to Ketchikan. I will be flying to Juneau in a few days.

I had a fabulous great time, learned tons and relearned tons of details from the whole endeavor. Number One is this, "my time is in His hand", and friends who pray provide supernatural support. YHWH, God is definitely in control, and I am grateful for that.

A few poor quality pictures follow, hopefully in the order they were made.

first: In Lake Umatilla cruising toward John Day Dam. Some of the train engineers would signal with their horn when I waved at them, and at lease one of them signaled me first. I imagine he had noted the work happening to Ariel, and connected the dots.

second: John Day and Mount Hood gang up to vibrate the massive visual scale dances. The exit from the dam is something a writer could terrify a reader with, but alas I am only a reader.

third: The south side of the Olympics from Westport in Grays Harbor where I waited out the WX.

fourth: The mountains of Glacier National Park from, I think, Rosario Straight.

fifth: The north side of the Olympics from Rosario Strait. The Straight of Juan de Fuca lies against that far shoreline. Hurricane Ridge may be in view, the camera is looking more or less toward Port Angeles.
DSCF6778.JPG
P1390130.JPG
P1390266.JPG
P1390371.JPG
P1390377.JPG
DSCF8618.JPG
Here she is, Miss Ariel, all Heart, and Guts, and happy to sail, and sad to be temporarily decommisioned, and waiting for our reunion to travel some more. She is built for it.

Thanks so much for your prayers, interest, responses, and general good behavior on the fabulous rangelands and mountains we call home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: sail trip update and reformat

Post by Pitchy »

Cool beans Grizz, groovy pics , glad all is well safe and sound. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I luv the pics - Inspiring, to say the least ! :)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Glad to hear you're back, safe & sound!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

Hey Grizz,
I don't post here much, but I've been following your sail adventures. Very cool. Glad to see you doing it. Take Care.

Udy
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

There have been a few days that I was worried sick about being in a 16 foot Fibreform between Tacoma and Olympia....I'm not sure I'm cut out for big water on a small boat. :o
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Real pleased you had a great trip, enjoyed all your posts and photos...... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Sailing really gets one in touch with the sea, and God. Solo sailing is almost like praying...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Glad it went well for you. Nanaimo is a neat place especially looking at all the travelers when your waiting for the ferry. Do you have another trip planned? Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Udy, so nice to see you here, and glad you saw the pictures.

Mikld, good comment. Solo sailing is praying, and hearing back!

Todd/3leg, I am flying to SE Alaska for a month or more, then back here to hopefully get some sailing in around the inlets and bays of Puget Sound. Then it sounds like another Christ mas in Tex as is being hatched. I have an R-65 BMW I haven't had out on a road trip, thinking that Tx run could be a good'un.

And Blain and Griff and Pitchy and All, thanks for following along. You're all good company.

Grizz
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Wow. Miss a lot of posts this year due to... stuff.

Thank you for the great tour and pix! I am glad that you are safe and sound.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

You're really making me want another sailboat! When we were kids my dad would take us up to the Georgian Bay for a couple weeks every summer. That motor / sailing trip was always a lot of fun. Been thinking a lot about those trips lately.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I found it to be like riding a bike. It comes back quickly though. I came back with a huge respect and admiration for this tiny little boat. She has a big huge heart and is willing to teach me, slow as I am.

I have a 10' aluminum pram that I built that I use as the shore boat and lighter to get the "stuff" off of the boat. I am going to set it up to sail.

http://directory.boatdesign.net/detail/1046.htm this is the basic design. I converted the offsets to metric, expanded all dimensions until I reached an even 10 feet OAL, and constructed from aluminum sheet. It is a giant compared to the original design, and draws less water with me in it than the original version. It takes hundreds of pounds just to get the chine to kiss the water. It will be a very good gunkholing sailboat when I get the rigging added on.
514316202.jpg
It doesn't take a big boat to enjoy sailing, and if anyone is interested in a low-cost but fun way to develop sailing interests in kids and family, the PDR class boat, Puddle Duck Racer, is a very simple way to aquire great sailing experience. Lest anyone think these are just for puddles, PDRs regularly and reliably sail the Texas 200. They are very capable, easy to build, cheap to build, and sail very very well.

http://www.pdracer.com/

they are safe. they are good boats to have around. they store away almost anywhere. and there are probably thousands of them sailing every day around the world.

Here's a good building manual:

http://www.polysail.com/camp%20sailboat.htm

don't hold back guys, you know you want to . . . . ;)

for anyone interested in more info on the small boat scene I recommend Duckworks.

http://duckworksmagazine.com/

I buy from them whenever I can. They are a big part of the trailer-sailer evolution. There is lots going on all around the country.

later
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.