Burls

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Burls

Post by gcs »

Question for you fancy wood workers, I found a Birch burl growing on a tree at my hunting camp, if I recall, it was about 10" in diameter, maybe a little smaller, I think it's yellow Birch.
Any value to it?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Burls

Post by Pete44ru »

Methinks that only a wood-turner can tell - but by the time a 10" burl gets turned down, it might be a bit small for most projects, unless they're very small.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I turn, but yellow birch isn't normally what turners look for. Cherry, walnut are most prized. Sure a turner might pay for it and it could be spectacular or it could be junk. It is a bit on the small side and just going to get smaller in the processing.
Maybe do a search for burl supply companies, see if they list YB make decision from there...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I knew someone back in CA and he emphasized that size was proportional to value. I remember Redwood, Walnut, and I think several Black Oak projects he had.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I kinda suspect it's a little small, might be ok for knife handles if it's sound. I found it last Nov. and I just remembered it again, and was curious if it had any value. I watched a TV show a couple years ago about a guy in CA. that searched walnut plantations for burls and he would negotiate with the owners for permission to cut it. He paid crazy money for them and wouldn't know if they were any good till they were worked, He also lost big money on the clunkers, lol Thanks for the responses guys.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Cut the tree for firewood, save the burl for turning or knife scales. If you decide to make it into scales, air dry it one year per inch of thickness.
I suppose you could ask around at local wood shops, see if anyone is interested in your burl.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mmmmmm.......it should be hard woods to make any kind of a financial effort. I have some wild cherry burls about 18-24" ....still alive ...but better than that, I have some 16-18" holly trees that I plan to move before I buy the farm....holly .......it's the wood form of ivory. This tree will make a dozen full sized gunstocks.----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

The holly will look good.
I checked a few online burl suppliers, other then walnut and some exotics the stuff really isn't worth much unless your buying BIG pieces.
The tree it's on isn't that big and I doubt the burl is going to get much bigger very soon.

I think Gunny is right, I'll cut it into slabs to see what quality is there and save it for knife scales. Then, when I tip over, the kids can throw it away... :mrgreen: