Some QuickLoad Errors

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Some QuickLoad Errors

Post by JohndeFresno »

A while back I noted that there were some errors in the QuickLoad data; specifically, the bullet lengths.

A dangerously overpressure load could result from depending upon erroneous data, as with the below noted 8x57mm Mauser bullet's length.

Although QuickLoad is a terrific aid to reloading, as mentioned by me and many others before, ALWAYS VERIFY your load data with more than one source. Even professional ballisticians can make mistakes and enter typos.

Here are at least some of my findings. Since I am just using a standard handheld digital caliper, even my measurements might be off by a thousandth inch or two because of the way the bullet tip sets on the device. But they are close enough for me to confidently reload.

If you have any other corrections, and have carefully checked and rechecked your measurements, please add to this list.

QuickLoad Errors
found by (JohndeFresno)

Corrections made to new data file where noted

Barnes .44 Mag XPB 225 gr. Bullet #42922
Bullet Length .925"
CORRECTED to .892" (after measurement) in Barnes.bul

Barnes .45-70 TSX 300 gr. Bullet #45843
Bullet Length 1.100"
CORRECTED to 1.057" (after measurement) in Barnes.bul

Barnes .451 XPB 225 gr Bullet #45120
Bullet Length .890"
CORRECTED bullet length is .810" in Barnes.bul
Changed 9-6-2012

Hornady .323 195, Hornady SP Interlock #3236
Bullet Length 1.100"
CORRECTED to 1.218" (after measurement) in Hornady.bul
Changed sometime in 2017

(Bullet Nr added to Barnes .451 XPB 225gr for .45 Colt)
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Some QuickLoad Errors

Post by earlmck »

Thanks John. Those QuickLoad folks are waaay overdue for issuing an update to correct errors in original data as well as adding in a gob of new powders. Isn't there some saying about "he who rests on his laurels is wearing them in the wrong place"?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

:lol:
Never heard that one!
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thank you very much! I do wish they would add some powders!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

milton wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:32 am Thank you very much! I do wish they would add some powders!
Glad to be of help, Milton!

With the pending Internet ammo ban in my state, I have purchased all the loaded ammo I will ever need, and am now concentrating on a lifetime supply of components, just in case of more insane legislation in this state.

My final reloading equipment purchase, I think, has been the RCBS Chargemaster Lite digital powder dispenser for those hard to measure powders. Powder must be kept offsite ('tis a secret) due to restrictions on the amount allowed at a residence.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

That is an awful shame John,I do hope things work out well for you!The next thing they will be banning is conversations like this via the 'net which I hope does not happen!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."