OT - Need New Water Heater

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Need New Water Heater

Post by BrianSH »

Early this morning started leaking. Of course the containment tray didn't contain everything. Anyway, the tank came with the house I bought new in 2003. Its a 4 bedroom, two bath, 1825 sq ft, but I live here alone.
Thinking of shopping at Home Depot, but know nothing about modern water heaters. Maybe a centrally located tankless where the old one is?

Survey Says:......?
- Brian
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Need New Water Heater

Post by GunnyMack »

Tankless heaters are usually more efficient. Could also look into 'on demand' heaters.
We tried an on demand but having hard water the elements didn't last but a few years. So if your water is hard make sure you have a softener or neutralizer and you new heater will last longer!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

We have a 40 gal water heater, plenty for wifey & me. I like having the 40 gallons of water on hand when the power goes out or the water co. works on the lines.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I like a free-standing water heater because it allow shutting down the furnace for the Summer - thereby getting some energy savings ($$$ for gas or electricity)

IME, the EASY button involves just replacing what you had.

Most new gas or electric water heaters are a lot more efficient than the last time I had to replace mine.

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I love the on-demand heaters but do your research before buying.

The gas ones need venting and have a significant heater involved - to bring water up to that temp requires quite a bit of energy.

The electric ones will need multiple 220 circuits run for the heater, for the same reason.

If it's not near the panel box you're going to pay $$ for the copper.

The newer 'regular' ones are much better for insulation and efficiency.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Thank you for your time and knowledge. After learning from the guy at Home Depot about needing to add a higher power line for the tankless, I decided against it.
The unit cost between tankless and similar to what I have now is the same cost, give or take. But I would have to have an electrician come out and run the new high power lines.
I have decided to replace with what I already have. Current unit is and AO Smith hecho in mexico, and the AO Smith's I looked at Lowe's are made and assembled up here.

And I have though about that emergency water on hand already in the tank too.

Thank You again, - Brian
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Brian,
You just repeated what we went through when we remodeled a few years back. We just installed current technology gas water heaters.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just made sure mine (one for big bathtub, another for everything else) were installed upstairs so they could gravity-feed all that water downstairs during a power outage. I also installed them with the appropriate valves so that either could be used for tub-only, all-else, or both, so if one goes out, we have some time to replace it. They are in a waterproof 4" deep metal lined area with a drain, in case of leaks.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

crs wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:57 pm Brian,
You just repeated what we went through when we remodeled a few years back. We just installed current technology gas water heaters.
I'm hearing that most tankless jobs are installed at the time of construction when wiring is cheapest. I do like the thought of having one though.

Well last month the alternator, gave out on the way back from the Waxahachie Ren-Faire, and the whole car shut down 20 miles from home. And of all days to forget my cell phone. The battery had nothing left to give.

The "stick shift" on the kitchen sink needs replacing also. Got a soggy moldy mess under the sink now.

Gee, what's gonna happen in July. Maybe stay in bed all month. Then die of bed soars. Best not go on a hunt!!
-Brian