Homegrown tomatoes and BLTs.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Homegrown tomatoes and BLTs.

Post by piller »

Just had BLTs with PillHer for the second night in a row. Our tomato plants are really producing. The Cherokee Purple variety are giving more than we can eat right now. We are freezing what we can't eat, and plan on eating homemade tomato soup this coming Winter.

Is anyone else getting homegrown tomatoes yet?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Homegrown tomatoes and BLTs.

Post by FWiedner »

I'm getting a similar yield. Too many to eat. We're having to give some away.

There are worse problems to have.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

One of life's greatest pleasures. I used to try to have ripe tomatoes by June 1. Even raised my own plants from seed which I planted in February. You guys must be way south of me. Waxahatchie?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

M. M. Wright, yes, we are almost in Waxahachie. Red Oak is about 9,000 people and sits along I35 at Waxahachie's northern border.
For those who are not familiar with Texas, trace I35 on a map to where it splits into East and West. The East side goes through Dallas and the West side goes through Ft. Worth. Interstate 20 and Interstate 30 both cross through the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex without splitting. I live 10 miles South of where Interstate 35 East and Interstate 20 cross. Should you continue following the map South, you run into Waxahachie in 3 miles. It is the County seat and at about 30,000 people, is the largest city in the county. My estimate of the population may be low since it is growing fast in that area. Farther South you will see Interstate 35 become one road again and continue on South through the little town of West where the worlds best Kolaches are made. Beyond that is Waco, where Dr. Pepper was invented back in the 1800s. Dr. Pepper is the oldest branded and patented soft drink in the U.S. Waco is also home to a museum of the Texas Rangers law enforcement agency. Well worth the stop if you are ever in the area. Continuing on, you will run into Austin. Austin is the capitol city of Texas and home to the best alternative music and the least Texan people in the entire state. Think San Diego or San Francisco somehow picked up and dropped into a land of cowboys and engineers. Continuing on, you will come to San Antonio. It is home to the Alamo. Another destination worth the stop and exploration. The riverwalk, built during the depression, is worth the time to stop and enjoy.
With all of those landmarks, I think it is easy enough to find the area where I live.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Vinita, Oklahoma where M.M. Wright lists as his home, is where they have a structure which arches over the interstate and has a McDonalds located inside. It is the only place I know of in which you can have a fast food meal and watch traffic drive below you as the cars travel along an Interstate highway. It is also home to the Will Rogers rodeo. Where I live is 2.5 miles from the birthplace of the U.S. Air Force veteran who became known as Boxcar Willie to the country music world. Our little overpass above Interstate 35 at Ovilla road is oficially The Boxcar Willie Memorial Overpass.
D. Brian Casady
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

+ 1 on homegrown produce, especially tomatoes!
We trade our excess eggs for all sorts of veggies. Just a few days ago, R Krodle dropped by with some fabulous sweet corn and (to his surprise) left with a dozen fresh eggs and some freshly frozen Nilgai from my recent hunt.

The birds and squirrels are getting most of our peaches, all the apricots, and not enough of the acorns that fall. They will go to work on the pecans when they are ready, but we have enough pecan trees that it makes no difference.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not yet in Indiana.... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

Won't see a homegrown tomato till late July early August around here. There is nothing finer than a BLT with one though. Store bought just has no flavor.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I thought tomatoes had to be canned/preserved in Mason jars, because they turned out like much if frozen/thawed....... Hmmmmmm.

My tomato plants only have flowers so far, the Jalapeno peppers are very tiny (but there), and the cucumber vines are spreading rapidly - but no joy as yet.

On the bright side, my 10-year-old asparagus patch has been producing stalks for the past 6 weeks, now - which makes a great breakfast addition to my Eggs Benedict. ;)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Our jalapenos have already produced some large peppers, and are well on their way into the second batch.

Having homegrown tomatoes on a BLT where you can cut the slices about 3/4 of an inch thick and eat over a plate to catch the juices is a great summer treat.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Pete44ru wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:11 pm .

I thought tomatoes had to be canned/preserved in Mason jars, because they turned out like much if frozen/thawed.......

When they are going to be used in tomato soup, it is no matter. I dry them in a toaster oven at 200 degrees for several hours if i want to save them to be cooked in something other than soup. Dehydrated with warmth and then frozen will usually keep flavor and texture as long as i am careful to not over or under dry them.
D. Brian Casady
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Got a couple plants hanging upside down outside and one has a couple green ones starting but early up here yet. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

I'm jealous. I got my plants in late so I won't have any tomatoes till mid to late August.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Won't have home grown for another month BUT, you guys made me hungry for BLT's, so I had two last night with some soup. Thanks.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Still way early here for tomatoes! I've got lots of blossoms, and a couple small green tomatoes. Wont get ripe tomatoes until August I'd guess.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Piller,
those fresh tomato slices also go well with bacon and eggs for breakfast!
Just one more way to enjoy the taste.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A good summer sandwich is a toasted tomato sandwich. Two slice of toast covered with mayo and a couple of big slices of tomatoes, good eating.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Fresh tomatoes and cantaloupe are the two things I look forward to each summer !

I want two slices of white bread with KRAFT mayo on both and sprinkled with salt . One slice of tomatoe that covers the bread and the sandwich is done . Tomatoe sandwich , some chips , a piece of cheese , cantaloupe and a glass of milk are a good dinner for me . Well usually two or three mater samiches to be exact :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

We're also getting loads of vine-ripe cherry tomatoes.

Aside from their usefulness in salads and the like, I enjoy just popping them straight into the old pie-hole.

I set a shallow dish of salt by the side of a bowl of the cherry tomatoes and just grab them as I go by during the day.

Pretty darn good.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

All these posts are making me hungry; and the topic has reminded me of a song by Guy Clark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWwyhCVBDg

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige