Finally settled on my 32-20 load (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Finally settled on my 32-20 load (photos)

Post by KirkD »

I have been trying a wide variety of powders and loads over the past couple years, to see which gave me the best accuracy with my Accurate Moulds 312112M plain base, cast bullet. Note: if you order this mould, crimping in the groove means that you will be levering the bullet into the lands, which puts too much strain on the levering mechanism for my money. I use a Lee Factory Crimp and set the bullet in just enough to not quite touch the lands, and crimp it there on the forward driving band. Powders ranged from Unique on the fast end to IMR 4198 on the slow end. Finally, I laid all the targets out on my pool table and made my selection ... 9.5 grains of 5744 with a small pistol primer, for a velocity of 1,230 fps and an E.S. of around 17 fps in 10 shots. This is out of my original Model 53 32 W.C.F. made in 1929. At 25 yards, a 3-shot group is about 3/8" (which is the average range I deal with varmints). At 50 yards, a 5-shot group is roughly 1", and at 100 yards, the 5-shot groups are around 2 & 5/8".

Photo of my Model 53 ....

50 yard target ....

100 yard target ....

Last edited by KirkD on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Finally settled on my 32-20 load (photos)

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, sure sounds like you have been having some fun with the load work for that beauty. I did end up with a couple of real good 5744 loads for my old 92 32wcf. Thanks for all the help with that project. That should take care of some of those big groundhogs your alfalfa field.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Kirk that sure is an amazing old Winchester :o

Brad
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I love your post and pictures. Thanks for sharing this info. NICE RIFLE
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Very nice rifle friend.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Thanks, I,ll try that load in my 92.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Thanks, men. JerryB, I forgot what load you settled on for your 92. M. M. Wright, I'll be interested to hear how it does in your rifle.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Beautiful rifle Kirk , and Great shooting . Varmints beware!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I never pay much attention to crimping grooves on cast lead bullets. If the OAL works out to use them, that's fine. But if not, I'm more concerned about function and accuracy, so crimp mine wherever it works best. Looks like you found where it works best!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Nicely done.
I'm just beginning my journey so this was neat to see.

Beautiful rifle!
My first child - '94 30-30
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Boy Kirk that 92 of yours sure has some great wood! Looks like it's a shooter too. It sure is great when all the load development works.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Thanks, GunnyMack. I was very fortunate to come across this one in a gun store that had just bought it from an elderly gent and wanted to move it.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, I had several loads with 5744 that gave good accuracy. The load I really like for my old rifle (1917)is a 100 grain XTP over 11 grains of 5744. I am hoping to take a deer with that load, maybe this year.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

JerryB wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:16 pm Kirk, I had several loads with 5744 that gave good accuracy. The load I really like for my old rifle (1917)is a 100 grain XTP over 11 grains of 5744. I am hoping to take a deer with that load, maybe this year.
11 grains should move that XTP bullet along at a good enough clip to put a deer in the freezer.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Thanks much for posting the results of your accuracy trials, Kirk. Your load is real close to my "grandkid preferred" load that I build using Red Dot and the Ranch Dog 117 grain bullet used without the gas check. But you are getting much better velocity consistency than I get. Verrrry interesting!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Kirk - that rifle is just stunning! Hard to believe it is that old. Whoever has had it before you certainly took good care of it.

Thanks for sharing your recipe! Great results!!! :D
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Classic KirkD -
Beautiful, well composed photos
Stunning hardware
Great Shootin'...

Thanks for the post, Kirk!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

KirkD......(or others)...

Do you find any shorter brass life using the Lee FCD on the notoriously thin-walked 32-20 cases than when you use other types of crimp...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very good Kirk!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:20 pm KirkD......(or others)...

Do you find any shorter brass life using the Lee FCD on the notoriously thin-walked 32-20 cases than when you use other types of crimp...?
I crimp the brass onto the forward driving band of the cast bullet, so there is much less reduction in brass neck diameter than when it is crimped into a crimping groove. I expect the brass should last longer this way.