New 44/40 bullet mould, good old load

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

New 44/40 bullet mould, good old load

Post by earlmck »

I got a nice 5-cavity mould from N.O.E. a couple of weeks ago, whumped up a nice batch of bullets from wheelweight metal. Here's a shot of the bullet which is billed as the TLC 432-243-RF (GC):
44NOE.jpg
. I loaded up a batch using KirkD's load of 18 grains 5744 with this bullet which casts up at 250 grains out of my metal and is sized .431. Velocity out of the 20" barrel was 1125 +/-15 fps. and shot to the same point of impact as the 200 grain Lee bullet I have been shooting and was deadly on tin cans out as far as I could conveniently see them at about 80 yards. I shot this 10-shot group at 50 yards:
J4440target8600.jpg

For load testing I had cobbled up a scope for the thing. A little testing, see if I really need the gas check, and also see if I can get something with a little more "zip" with good accuracy and I'll go back to the peep sight. This scope isn't much fun for shooting off-hand; the way it sits your face feels like it is 5 inches off the stock, though I'm sure it isn't more than an inch or so.
J44408594.jpg
. It is nice for checking out loads, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: New 44/40 bullet mould, good old load

Post by Griff »

That load looks awfully good! You might just be hard to beat in the challenge!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Good shooting. Thats a heavy duty looking .44 WCF bullet...
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Could you provide a little more detail and pics of the scope mount?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nothing wrong with that load/bullet!
I really need some range time, my partially handicapped trigger finger is getting itchy! Rainy weekend in the forecast...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, that bullet surely would do for Oregon deer at iron-sight ranges. The Rossis can shoot.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:13 am Could you provide a little more detail and pics of the scope mount?
I can't remember the name of it and I couldn't find it in a search. I know I got the idea here -- somebody will recognize it from the picture and I'm pretty sure I ordered it from Midway a few years ago.
LeverScopeMount.jpg
leverScopeMountScrews134.jpg
The leveling screws (yellow arrows) are going to leave a mark on the rifle -- I should have put something there to keep from going metal on metal.
Pearson's "No Drill" that you can find with a search would not leave such a mark but has the disadvantage of needing a "scout" scope with the long eye relief. I have one of those mounts but haven't tried it yet.
Also here is a shot of the mould that I should have put in the original post. The ugly black coating is spray-on mould release stuff I use that helps bullets drop out of the mould easier.
44NOEmould.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Looks awesome Earl, been shooting a Lee 240 & a RCBS 245 gr. in my 44-40 Marlin with RL7 or 2400
both shoot a lot better with a scope

Brad
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Unless I'm mistaken that's the NOE rendition of the Ranch Dog 432-240GC .

I had very good results with an original Ranch Dog Lee 6 cavity in the 444 and 44 MAG . Plunked a deer with it in the 444 a couple years ago .

When NOE did this mold I got an RG2 GC mold as well . And for what it's worth the HP version has shot very well in one of my 444's a 44 MAG Contender and a Ruger Redhawk .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Carlsen Highway wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:39 am Good shooting. Thats a heavy duty looking .44 WCF bullet...
Yes, but I don't think it would hold enough lube to use with your black powder :D
ollogger wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:00 pm Looks awesome Earl, been shooting a Lee 240 & a RCBS 245 gr. in my 44-40 Marlin with RL7 or 2400
both shoot a lot better with a scope
Brad
Yep...It is becoming just plain embarrassing how much better I can shoot with a scope anymore.
6pt-sika wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:53 pm Unless I'm mistaken that's the NOE rendition of the Ranch Dog 432-240GC .
I thought it looked like a Ranch Dog design... I believe this baby is going to do!
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thank you. I was interested because the Peterson one you need a long eye relief scope, so we were thinking along the same lines.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:53 pm Unless I'm mistaken that's the NOE rendition of the Ranch Dog 432-240GC .
I thought it looked like a Ranch Dog design... I believe this baby is going to do!
[/quote]

I've been quite satisfied with the original Lee and the NOE HP version seems like it oughtta do very well in the 444 and the 44 hand cannons .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !