Thinking of a new Tractor

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Thinking of a new Tractor

Post by Griff »

Went and shopped for a new tractor & brush hog today. Didn't know that Case/IH & New Holland were the same. And at two local dealers the price was $1,000 different. Case-IH being slightly lower. But, they carry two different brands of brush hog, Case carries Rhino/AG and is a 15', while the New Holland dealer carries the Brush Hog and is a 12'. Therefore an almost $3K difference between them equipped with a mower. The nice thing is that there's a Case/New Holland plant in the area... so hopefully parts won't be an issue.

Looked at John Deere also, but their equivalent tractor is only a 3 cylinder while the others are a 4. 173 ci, vs 207, all three developing the same 75 hp. Deere is the cheapest of the 3, and has their own brand of brush hog, also a 15'. All three are in the mid $50K, with the Deere being the least expensive. All offer 0% financing.

It means giving up cowboy shooting for a while... but, gives me the ability to build up my existing berm, or build a better, bigger dedicated berm and shoot in the pasture with a better feeling of containing rounds.

Don't HAVE to buy a new trailer, as with all the necessary lights, and only a mile or so down the highway to a gas station, I don't have to trailer it, but if I were to get some mowing jobs, I might be able to afford a new GN, big enough to haul it to & from jobs, and pay it off sooner. NH offers a better price than either Case or Deere if I go with a 2.9% interest, which, if paid off on time is the best deal of the three.

Best part is no longer taking 20-25 hours of mowing with the little 5' deck, vs about 5-6 hours with a 12'. I'm leaning toward the NH, as the dealer is a local business while the Case & Deere dealers are part of a much larger network of corporate dealers. Having both older, much smaller Deere & Ford tractors, I know who's treated me the best in the past.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Thinking of a new Tractor

Post by Griff »

Oh yeah, looking for ammo to help convince the spousal unit!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Remind her of how harmful the sun is on skin and look at the amount of time you wont have to be out there mowing. IIRC you had some skin issues already, so its not having a new tractor, its a medical device. Tell her your Registered Nurse recommended it.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I heard that the JDs are assembled/made in China... Truth to that fact I don't know but if that's a concern I'd look at any of the ID plates on the frame, engine.
Are you going all out with cab, heat/AC ?
Have you looked at Kubota? Not sure if they make a big enough machine for what you are after tho.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My stuff is very old but I certainly wouldn't give up my 15' mower for a 12' and am pretty sure Bush Hog makes one that size or is it the tractor they are selling you will not pull anything bigger?

I really like having a cab to keep the cold off me and it keeps a lot of overhanging limbs from beating my ears off.

Give up SASS? I can no longer shoot because of my knees but I really miss it. Mostly miss the people I've met there.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I hear ya on the 5 foot cutter, seems like fun... for awhile.

Have you checked out Mahindra? I think they make a big enough tractor, Seems like a heavy duty option, more like an older American model when they were made here.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

On a smaller scale than the big tractors Griff is talking about, it's the one thing I like foreign. Kubota. Mines a mid size 3350 4 cyl., 4 wheel drive Diesel with a 60" belly mower. Kubota makes them as big as you want..plus, I always have liked their color...orange.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I had the small, 22-hp three-cylinder diesel Mahindra with front loader, box scraper and five-foot mowing deck for our five acres. I sure miss that sweet machine. It was all Mitsubishi. Nothing I couldn't get it to do.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

forwannabe... GREAT answer! Skin cancer's my biggest medical issue. MMWright... yeah, I hear on the 15' vs 12'... I think the salesman was talking about what he had on his lot, (dealer has two local stores) was because we were talking delivery the same day. @ 75hp, a 15' ought to be a piece of cake if I don't let it get waist high... Sixgun, Kubota did a great thing for the tractor industry; made them all up their quality. I've looked at Mahindra, made in India... no different than Chinese... Certain models the CNH family are made in Europe, others in the Pacific rim, and still others, (usually the really big boys, 200hp & up) are still made here. I'll have to check out the one I'm contemplating.

Yeah, cab with heat & A/C, am/fm with front end loader and 2 rear hydraulic hookups (necessary with bat-wings).

But, no decision for a few weeks, I'm going cowboy shootin' tomorrow! I volunteered to run a match at the end of Sept., once that commitment is over, I'm free from commitments for some time. My son, who's turning out to be pretty responsible, offered to pay for half, if he can use it to offer mowing services in the local area... hell if he makes a go of that, maybe I'll go work for him!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I have a 5' mower. Makes my place seem a lot bigger than it really is! :P
Have you hugged your rifle today?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Griff wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:19 pm Oh yeah, looking for ammo to help convince the spousal unit!
I certainly can't help you. ...my "new" tractor is a 1966 MF. I've been tempted to sell it and my 8N and buy a new one....but I hate payments.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

I have a Kubota that is now 20+ years old, I Mow 7 acres with a brush hog, till, front loader.
keeps on ticking, if I had to replace it I would be driving in my local Kubota dealer first.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:19 pm Oh yeah, looking for ammo to help convince the spousal unit!
:wink: Just put your foot down and tell her what's what! Wimmin appreciates the firm approach.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

To each his own , I've been a Deere person all my life . However my present lawnmower is a Kubota .

I am sure the NH , IHC/Case are all very good as well .

Just if I'm paying the tariff it's more then likely gonna be Green and Yellow 8)
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I have a John Deere 1010, circa '64 low hours, great shape I might be willing to sell you. 33hp, gas
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sometimes I miss my '46 Farmall Cub... Then I see my quad and I forget the tractor.
My 42" mower does my lawn in 20 minutes on the Husky lawn tractor.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Griff,
Why not talk to Ricky and trade something (guns, ammo, both) for use of one of his tractors? I know he has a trailer because he towed the tractor to work on our deer lease back when we had one.

PS My 1984 JD is a two cylinder diesel with less HP than my gas HP riding mower, but it handles my 5 foot finish mower and chain harrow OK. :D
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just finished mowing my 2 front pastures. A full day with the little 5' I have. Especially in heat like today. I don't take it as well as I did 25 years ago! Got the bill for the 8 tires I bought for the truck today... the spousal unit told me it was NOT a good time to talk to her about a new tractor. I'll pay them off in a couple of months, then get the new tractor & BIG mower deck!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:22 pm Just finished mowing my 2 front pastures. A full day with the little 5' I have. Especially in heat like today. I don't take it as well as I did 25 years ago! Got the bill for the 8 tires I bought for the truck today... the spousal unit told me it was NOT a good time to talk to her about a new tractor. I'll pay them off in a couple of months, then get the new tractor & BIG mower deck!
You know for years and years they've been making these little four leg lawn mowers . I think they call them "goats" . You stake them out with a bucket of water and they do a pretty decent job . You just have to restake them every 12 hours or do LOL's 😉👍🏻
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you check there a multitude of law suits out there against Deere. It seems that they are putting computers in their tractors that require dealer service. You have no choice you have to take it back to the dealer for service. Just something to think about.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Griff,
In any organization, important monetary decisions usually benefit from counsel with the CFO (chief financial officer) . Usually a mutually beneficial solution can be found.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:15 pmYou know for years and years they've been making these little four leg lawn mowers . I think they call them "goats" . You stake them out with a bucket of water and they do a pretty decent job . You just have to restake them every 12 hours or do LOL's 😉👍🏻
I just ain't sure that even those "four-legged lawn mowers" will eat what passes for "natural pasture" in my area! :P :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

crs wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:06 amGriff,
In any organization, important monetary decisions usually benefit from counsel with the CFO (chief financial officer) . Usually a mutually beneficial solution can be found.
Especially true in this organization! :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!