S&W Model 63-5, 3" SS Kit Gun (22)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

S&W Model 63-5, 3" SS Kit Gun (22)

Post by Old No7 »

I've had this l'il 3" S&W Model 63 "Kit Gun" for awhile now, but I hadn't shot it much. I finally spent about 45 minutes polishing the innards the other night, and now she is much smoother and a joy to shoot! I was surprised at "how dry" she was on the inside though, not a drop of lube or anything anywhere.

Lightly polishing those bearing surfaces where I could see some rubbing starting to occur, plus a light drop of oil here & there really helped a lot. So after the work was done, I figured that she needed a new set of grips -- wood ones, of course -- to replace the black rubber "Tupperware" grips that came on it.

Here's the new Rosewood grips with S&W Medallions that are made by Altamont:

S&W 63-5 Grips 01 (Small).jpg

And here's a nice basketweave-stamped and lined leather holster that I found on ebay for little money. The light color of the lining isn't my preference, but the l'il gun fits nice and snug and is well protected. And it carries so well on my hip:

S&W 63-5 Holster 01 (Small).jpg

Most days when I hunt in the woods of Maine, I'll carry a 4" S&W 631 (32 Magnum) for the extra "oomph" that the Mag delivers, for small game or protection from well, "whatever"... But there are times when a small 22 is very handy to have, and this is one I selected.

Tight groups!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W Model 63-5, 3" SS Kit Gun (22)

Post by Pete44ru »

Good selection !

I've used Eagle Grips on a few of my Smith's, but I like the way those look, too.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That gun, in my opinion, is the finest small packing/trail gun ever to hit the shelves. I never could lay my hands on one of the earlier blued variations as the asking prices were always a hundred or two more than they were worth.

Nice gun #7. (Can I have it?) :D ----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My K22 I picked up in a trade was bone stock with a good deal of use, blue worn dry & gritty. Since I was in gumsmiff Sokol at the time I decided to give it an action job. First job was good but I tried and tweaked & polished it a 2nd time. I was told that powdered graphite in the action would help polish and lube the internals for as long as it was not cleaned out. Doesn't gum up, hold moisture or dry out. Now all my wheel guns get graphite.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Now that is sweet! Have wanted a high quality, (Colt or S%W) 22 revolver for at least 50 years and just never bought one. I've had the Ruger Single Six and Colt Scouts but they just never seemed to stick.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

When we in England could own handguns :roll: , I had a Astra Cadix 9 shot .22lr revolver but I always lusted after a S&W . I did scare quite a few squirrels with it but it did manage to drop a fox with one shot once.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

How many times did I handle kit guns in the old blue boxes and think to myself, this is just perfect -- and did not buy?
:|
rabbit hunter
Levergunner

Post by rabbit hunter »

Wow! I have S&W Model 43 Kit gun in 22LR with a 3.5 inch bbl and Herritt Shooting Star grips which I purchased in the early 60s. It is about as accurate as any 22 revolver I have ever seen, including my K-22 purchased a little earlier but now long gone.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice. I see you are doing a lot of "smoothing" lately! :mrgreen:
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Probably a sacrilege to post this here but here goes anyways...

I bought my little 3" barreled 22LR "Kit Gun" over 25 years ago. It's compact frame and 3" barrel make it very packable. Great trigger pull in both SA and DA mode which is reflected in it's surprising accuracy.
The Hogue Mono Grip very comfortable and more compact than the clunky wood grips it came with.

First post using Flickr after abandoning Photo-pirates. I'm happy so far. :D
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31