Work Has Started on the Rolling Blocks - * New Owner *

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Work Has Started on the Rolling Blocks - * New Owner *

Post by Old No7 »

Part 2: Well, I got the big box of Case-colored Rolling Block Parts in the other day...

Finally got around to taking a look this morning, as we had so many other tasks and activities already planned for the weekend. For those who may want a reminder, you can Click Here for a Link to "Before" Pictures of these No. 1 and No. 4 Rolling Block parts.

For those who didn't see the earlier post or hit the link, here's the "before" pix, with the parts all prepped:
Rem RB C-Color 01 prep (Small).jpg

And here they are -- "in color" -- laid out in about the same positions on the same background:
Rem RB C-Color 02 after (Small).jpg

That's a cell phone pix and while it shows the "new colors" on the old parts, it really doesn't do the No.1 action's colors any justice; at the right angles held up close, the mix of hues and shades is very nice, and I am really pleased! For sure, it looks a LOT better than this!!!
(This is how it started...)
Rem RB 04 (Small).JPG

I also had my gunsmith -- Lee Shaver Gunsmithing of Lamar MO -- send me one of his Economy Soule Sights, with the base adjusted to perfectly fit the curve of my RB. The nicely made Hadley eye cup will help in varying light conditions too:
Lee Shaver Econ Soule RB (Small).jpg

I'll try to take some better pictures of the colors after I finish some light finish work on the Schuetzen-style stock, and then I'll post when it's all done. Could be awhile though, as the boating/fishing season is here...

Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Work Has Started on the Rolling Blocks - Part 2

Post by Pitchy »

Lookin great Old No 7 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This is going to turn out so COOL! 8) 8) 8)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Gotta love case colors!
I sure hope you pick out some high figured wood!
Hurry up we need more pics!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Slick. Can't wait to see how they come together.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

No. 7, I just ordered an economy Soule from Lee for my Ballard No. 1 1/2. Have high hopes for it.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:39 am No. 7, I just ordered an economy Soule from Lee for my Ballard No. 1 1/2. Have high hopes for it.
I 'm sure it will serve you well Bill! That is my second one; the first was mounted on my Officer's Model Trapdoor.

Just to be clear... My picture above shows a "Hadley adjustable Eye Cup" on my economy sight, but I added that item -- as it only comes included on the more expensive (and very very nice!) premium sight that he sells. Still, the economy sights works well for me -- and my budget too.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Here's an update which will serve as "Part 3" of this series...

Well, I did the assembly of the No 1 Rolling Block's action last night, just to ensure that all the parts still fit -- and it went together perfectly, just as I'd expected.

The case colors on the action look great (to me) and have met or exceeded my expectations; for sure it's not the dingy gray/brown patina like it started out as when I bought it off the used rack. And the Lee Shaver Economy Soule Sight fits perfectly and looks great on it. Plus, I like the optional Hadley Eye Cup that I added too (as all my single shots with tang sights now have those).

The small amount of work remaining includes:
_* Replacing the ugly hex screws securing the trigger guard to the action.
_* Replacing the ugly Philips head screws securing the Swiss Butt to the stock.
_* Bed the palm rest plate into the stock and clean up the wood around its edges.
_* Clean up one area of the buttstock where the finish had been scuffed.
_* Polish and blue the ends of all screws and pins.
_* Take her out to shoot and finalize my load development.

I'd shot her enough before investing in the case colors & new sight to know she was a shooter, but I've got to find and settle on one load. And that loading will use real black powder too -- none of the smokeless powder or replica BPs for this one.

Here's how she is looking as of last night...

Rem RB 13 (Small).jpg

Rem RB 14 (Small).jpg

Rem RB 15 (Small).jpg

No progress has been made on the small No 4 action 22 that was also cased-colored, that will have to come later.

But I really need to give a shout out to Lee Shaver Gunsmithing -- as his shop did a fantastic job on the case colors.

Can't wait to shoot this at the range!

Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Work Has Started on the Rolling Blocks - Parts 2 and 3

Post by Bill in Oregon »

You'll have the handsomest rifle at the range, for sure!
8)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Lee Shaver gets GREAT COLORS! If I ever find a RB I'll send it to him for freshening up!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Keep up the good work.

And plenty of pictures!.

Mark
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

You know, ol no.7 it's a dam shame you couldn't find a nice rifle. I have not really been into rolling blocks but that thing is GORGEOUS. I really like that. Well another on the NEED list. Kudos Sir.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Wmasswolf
Levergunner

Post by Wmasswolf »

I recently purchased this rolling block while in Maine and have found it very enjoyable to shoot. (I am new to the Rolling Block, but not BPCR) I took it out today with some of my favorite 45-70 reloads and was pleasantly surprised with both the groups and the recoil experience.
20200102_202330.jpg
I do need to replace the tang sight it came with, but even with the open rear sight, the groups were very nice. (It looks like the sight base was custom shaped to match the tang, so I'm assuming it will be tricky to find a stock tang sight to match.)

Anyways, thanks for finishing this beautiful rifle. Im excited to take it through its paces.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Wmasswolf wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:42 pm I recently purchased this rolling block while in Maine and have found it very enjoyable to shoot. (I am new to the Rolling Block, but not BPCR) I took it out today with some of my favorite 45-70 reloads and was pleasantly surprised with both the groups and the recoil experience.
I agree, it is a beauty -- and I'm glad to see it went to a good home!

That one got culled from my collection when I started my foray into German target and hunting guns... (A very dangerous AND expensive path to take! Beware!)

But yes, Lee Shaver's Gunsmithing did an awesome job on the case colors. Enjoy it!

Wmasswolf wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:42 pm I do need to replace the tang sight it came with, but even with the open rear sight, the groups were very nice. (It looks like the sight base was custom shaped to match the tang, so I'm assuming it will be tricky to find a stock tang sight to match.)
I think I still have the Lee Shaver's Economy Soule Tang Sight which fits that rifle -- there are pictures of it up above. Let's exchange PMs if you're interested, as I'd offer it to you less than what I was hoping to get for it elsewhere. It would work really well on that rifle -- and fits the tang too!

Wmasswolf wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:42 pm Anyways, thanks for finishing this beautiful rifle. Im excited to take it through its paces.
Cheers! Have some fun with it!

Old No7
Wmasswolf
Levergunner

Re: Work Has Started on the Rolling Blocks - * New Owner *

Post by Wmasswolf »

I have been warned about the dangerous road of european firearms. They are so beautiful and finely crafted! Black powder cartridge guns and muzzleloaders are my choice of poison and theyre a rabbit hole of their own!

I did reply to your pm regarding the sight.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That looks great. Wish I could find a rolling block again.... I saw an old frame at a LGS, I think they wanted 1300$ or more for it. Antique you know. To bad I wasn't smart enough to hoarde them when they were 5$ apiece....
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

You got my hopes up after reading this post! I've been wishing for a US company to start making complete rolling block rifles. Looking back, I regret never having bought a Lonestar before Dave Higginbotham (spelling?) met his tragic end.
Wmasswolf
Levergunner

Post by Wmasswolf »

kaschi wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:49 pm You got my hopes up after reading this post! I've been wishing for a US company to start making complete rolling block rifles. Looking back, I regret never having bought a Lonestar before Dave Higginbotham (spelling?) met his tragic end.
There is a huge window of opportunity there. Ive been looking for a non pedersoli rolling block in some kind of target configuration for nearly two years before finding this one. (I dont have any issues with pedersoli - just didnt want a mass produced gun) There a many orginal military style actions and calibers, but to find a good target version is tough.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

kaschi wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:49 pm You got my hopes up after reading this post! I've been wishing for a US company to start making complete rolling block rifles. Looking back, I regret never having bought a Lonestar before Dave Higginbotham (spelling?) met his tragic end.
Why not just buy a good donor action and build one up? Even of you don't have the equipment to thread and fit a barrel, you can have someone do that part. And have someone do the final color case, and rust bluing too. I do mine this way, and usually end up into the builds around $1,000. Can't buy a Pedersoli for that price, or find an American made Roller for that price.
These are my last two builds, and both complete with sights were just over $1,000 each. That included having Pat at C. Sharps fit the barrels, and Al Springer color case and rust blue parts.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Cut it out you guys! I have loved rolling blocks since I was a kid and my uncle bought me a toy version, probably about 1959 or 1960. Yes, Mattel made them!
Currently have one in .50-70 with Green Mountain barrel and Treebone wood that needs to be color cased and blued. Vall -- I will have Mr. Springer do that when I get around to it.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

That is a good idea Marlinman but I'm still holding out and wishful that a manufacturer here will get into the rolling block game. It will be easier to simply buy the "end product" and be done with it.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

kaschi wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:54 pm That is a good idea Marlinman but I'm still holding out and wishful that a manufacturer here will get into the rolling block game. It will be easier to simply buy the "end product" and be done with it.
I really don't think it would be easier, unless you found someone here making them, and having them in stock. Even when Dave Higginbotham was building them he rarely had one "in stock". He custom built them, and often doing just what I did, using an old military receiver.
So if you bought an old donor gun, or receiver, and sent it to Pat at C. Sharps to barrel, then he could build up the barreled action. Then fit the stocks and have Al Springer down the road from C. Sharps color case and blue it. It will be faster than ordering a custom built Roller back when Lonestar was around, or having a custom Sharps built by Shiloh. It will also be immensely cheaper!
And just a side note. The stocks and lower tang on my pistol grip Roller are both original Remington from their run done in 1997. Numrich has brand new fully fitted and finished stock sets for under $150! And the lower tang is $42. So the fitting of the factory Re. stocks is extremely easy, and cheap! And the result is you have a Remington receiver, and stocks, with just an aftermarket barrel. People ask me often if mine is a Pedersoli import, or a Lonestar? I smile and tell them it's a Remington. Which except for the barrel it is!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Man, that sure looks great.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Sounds like reasonable costs involved. Speaking of C. Sharps, I find it kind of interesting that they have not made rolling blocks. They are supposed to make nice 1874s and copies of Winchester High and Low Wall rifles but I've never seen either in person. I do have a Shiloh Sharps 1874 Military Carbine in 50-70 Govt which is a little gem. Waited almost a year before it was completed but was worth it.