Got foot locker?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Got foot locker?

Post by jnyork »

How many old GI's here have their old footlocker or trunk full of souveniers etc. stashed down in the basement or up in the attic?

Got into mine the other day, first time in maybe 25 years, lots of stuff in there just needs trashed, wont mean anything to anyone when I'm gone. Old letters, copies of orders, copies of personnel records, etc. Couple of knives, a lighter, some old pictures, Stars and Stripes from Kennedy assassination, first issue of Grunt magazine and so forth. Kinda gave me a case of the sad looking at all that stuff.

So, what's in YOUR locker? :D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got foot locker?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

No foot locker here, but I finally went through the old family trunk that so fascinated me as a kid, and found that most of the stuff no longer had any meaning -- it died with my parents. I saved maybe 10 percent of the contents and the rest went to the recycling center. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. It is a sad thing, but the way of this world.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I ain't that old yet, but I do have an older one. Nice, tough and well made. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Tossing that duffel bag into the attic was one of the happiest days of my life and I have no desire to look at it again.
Nineteen months that broke up and changed my life, while popular and politically connected peers stayed on the bottom of the draft board's list or fell off entirely.
fatboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by fatboy »

Thought I replied to this so I hope this isn't a duplicate. I've two, the one I shipped home from my team base camp in the RVN and another I picked up somewhere along the line. One is filled with brass awaiting the reloading station, the other has cooking supplies that will be needed if we suffer a subduction quake and are on our own for a month plus.
bob
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Wasn't issued a foot locker, just a duffle bag. It sits in my shed unopened since my discharge. It has a lock on it that I doubt I could find a key for. Not sure anymore just what's inside. Whatever uniforms I had upon discharge for sure, likely some boots and shoes to go with. Undoubtedly there are ribbons and patches, and a couple of medals to match some or the ribbons. Probably a copy of my discharge orders. Beyond that who knows.

It's been almost 50 years, am I really that old? I guess the age of my boys should tell me that.

I don't really need anything in the duffle. I'll just leave for my kids to go through and decide what to do with the stuff inside.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I am reminded of the novel "Fields of Fire" by James Webb, probably the best description of that era by anyone, certainly the first that was worth reading. Story centers around an old footlocker, then ends with another being put away.

If you are a Vietnam vet, or read history at all, you should get this book and read it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I happened to have a video of when I opened mine to show 44MagHunter..... 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... m-xpDeGvXU
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never was issued a footlocker. When I got out, I didn't keep anything but my old leather personnel carriers and my DD214. Went in with expectations of something very different from the alcoholics and drug abusers which I was around. Met PillHer in a U.S. Army replacement detachment. That was the only good thing that happened to me in the Army. Two brothers made a career of it. Both were alcoholics and had abused drugs before joining. One retired as a Master Sergeant and the other as a CWO 5. They fit in perfectly with what I saw.
I was given an Article 15 for posting perfect scores on the SQT test. I was told by my Platoon Sergeant that I was not supposed to embarrass his Sergeants like that. They barely passed. No one else in my entire company got above 80 percent on the written portion ov the rest. The guy who was on the post rifle team was the only other one to hit better than 90 percent of the pop up targets at the rifle range.
No, I did not have any souvenirs which I wanted to keep from my time in the Army other than my wife of what will be 28 years on the 17th of this month.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I was awarded a division coin on an I.G. inspection. Care to guess what my Platoon Sergeant did about that? That was when I removed my jump wings and requested a reassignment. I was sent to Korea. Camp Greaves. It was much better. The letter of commendation from Major General Burba was found in my file while I was there. My old Platoon Sergeant from my old post had hidden it and refused to promote me as the letter instructed.
I was sent to the biggest dog and pony show in the world after Korea.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Lost my seabag, and everything else from those days, in a house fire. Sure would like to look at the old pictures though..... :cry:
Merle from PA
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Before you dump anything in the "bin" try calling a nearby "military type Museum". They may be looking for some items for a display.
When we are up north there in the U.S. of A. I volunteer at our Vermilion County War Museum. All sorts of items families were going to trash have become part of permanent displays.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.